wifi totally desappeared Nadia EEE PC

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daniel B.

wifi totally desappeared Nadia EEE PC

Post by Daniel B. »

Using Mint for a few weeks on my old EEE pc I suddenly "lost" wireless connection.
I don't see any trace of wifi driver or adapter.
I suppose some driver is not recognized since the last update. It look like I have no wireless hardware on my eee pc. I even reinstalled Mint.
I attached dmesg and lspci if it can help.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: wifi totally desappeared Nadia EEE PC

Post by AlbertP »

I agree that there is no wifi adapter visible. This is not a driver matter, since it first needs to detect the wifi card before a driver can be loaded. I think it's probably a hardware failure. Please check if the card inside the laptop (likely a Mini PCIe card) is properly inserted.

The person from the previous topic had an Atheros wifi card visible in inxi -Gx output, which you don't have. You have an Atheros chip, AR8121/AR8113/AR8114, but that is the wired ethernet.
martka had an AR8152 v2.0 for the wired ethernet, so that must be a different laptop than yours. I suppose your laptop is a bit older than the 1015BX of martka.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

As for many laptops, there is a keyboard shortcut to switch on/off wifi. Obviously, if switched off, the wifi interface cannot be used. On my Asus netbook (1000HE), the shortcut is FN+F2 (FN is the blue key to access special functions and integrated num keypad). You can also check in the BIOS if the wifi interface is still enabled.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ eanfrid: Even if the wifi would be switched off, it would not disappear completely from the system and that is what happened here. Bluetooth devices do so, but I have never seen it on PCI Express wifi chips. Also, if a Bluetooth device has disappeared because it is disabled, its driver loading at boot is still seen in the dmesg. And no trace of any wifi card/driver is seen there, so what we're seeing is certainly different from a normal "disabled" device.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

To be sure, I just switched on my netbook and disabled wifi, bluetooth and card-reader in the BIOS. None of them is further detected by the kernel while booting Linux (and no driver is loaded). If I hit FN+F2, wifi comes in and is listed by lspci once drivers are loaded. If switched back to off, wifi disappears totally from the hardware list (but the drivers are not unloaded) ;)
Last edited by eanfrid on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, I was unaware that wifi could work that way too (it is a PCIe device at you, so in lspci, not lsusb?).

@ Daniel B. Please run this in terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

rfkill list
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@AlbertP: I edited my previous post for more details. Yes it is an integrated pci-e device.
Daniel B.

Post by Daniel B. »

Shame on me !!!
eanfrid you're right FN+F2 !!!
I waste hours. Thanks to all for your answers.

Return to “Hardware Support”