[Solved] Switch from integrated Intel graphics to Nvidia

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Switch from integrated Intel graphics to Nvidia

Post by hanspb »

Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G laptop with Mint 17 Cinnamon. The machine has both integrated Intel Graphics and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M card. The Intel card is used by default, and I can't find a way to use the Nvidia card instead. Does anybody know how to do this?

Edit: lspci | grep NVIDIA:
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] (rev a2)
lspci | grep Intel:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-----------------
http://hpbirkeland.com
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Switch from integrated Intel graphics to Nvidia

Post by acerimusdux »

There is a program called bumblebee which is the equivalent of Nvidia's optimus, allowing you to switch between the two. Install the bumblebee and primus packages, and if you are using the proprietary nvidia driver, bumblebee-nvidia.

Not sure how it works from there, but I think you are supposed to be able to run for example your window manager with the Intel graphics, and then when running something graphics intensive like a game or web broswer, you use primus to run it and it uses the Nvidia card.
hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hanspb »

Thank you. I've got Bumblebee working. Now all I need is to find out how to make Darktable use OpenCL, but that's a question for the Darktable-users mailinglist.

Hans Petter
-----------------
http://hpbirkeland.com
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

If you have solved your issue, add [SOLVED] at the title of the thread.
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

Return to “Hardware Support”