Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on MacbookPro - Battery life

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bluebirdy

Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on MacbookPro - Battery life

Post by Bluebirdy »

Hi :-)

I've installed Mint 17,2 Cinnamon on Macbook pro ( mid 2012)....All works but the battery drains very quickly compared to Macosx. I've tried with kde version, but it's the same story.....Is it harmful for the battery life...? and is there a solution for this...?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on MacbookPro - Battery life

Post by z31fanatic »

Yeah, for some reason battery life is poor with Mint on my Macbook and other PC laptops that I have. I don't know why that is.
Bluebirdy

Post by Bluebirdy »

Maybe it depends on kernel....(?)

Is there a way to report it to Clem and other lm developers...?
Bluebirdy

Post by Bluebirdy »

Up.

Is there a way to report it to developers... :?:
adergaard

Post by adergaard »

I don't wanna sound like a party pooper here but as a rule, for any Linux installation, you need to tweak your system after setup; check what can be shut down and what has a power schedule that can be modified.
Specifically on MBP: you will never ever get it to have the same kind of battery time as for OS X. Those guys are in the thousands, just having ONE hardware to care about for one OS. Of course they are going to make it better.

So in conclusion, I don't think there's anything wrong with your installation, nor do I think you will get any response from any developers since this is basically intended behavior.

So have a google afternoon and find out what others did. There's quite a few scripts out there to help you.
Good luck.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

adergaard wrote: Specifically on MBP: you will never ever get it to have the same kind of battery time as for OS X. Those guys are in the thousands, just having ONE hardware to care about for one OS. Of course they are going to make it better.

So in conclusion, I don't think there's anything wrong with your installation, nor do I think you will get any response from any developers since this is basically intended behavior.

So have a google afternoon and find out what others did. There's quite a few scripts out there to help you.
Good luck.
Linux eats the battery faster in PC compared to Windows too in my experience so it's not just on Macs.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

both the Windows and the Mac system, are a customized environment,
whereas the Linux system is a plain vanilla system.

so - you may indeed need to tweak it a little.
- depending on your actual needs.
even on this laptop, both of the Linux systems will give a battery life of a little over one hour.
& maybe the Windows system would give a better result, but only in a customized system,
as even it is not that flash, when installed without it's propriety drivers, in a plain vanilla install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Bluebirdy

Post by Bluebirdy »

thanks for explanations. :wink:
I've already configured the system for a low consumption of battery.
I thought it was some installation problem.

Return to “Hardware Support”