<SOLVED>Can't get Timidity to work on Linux Mint 16 <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Heki847

<SOLVED>Can't get Timidity to work on Linux Mint 16 <SOLVED>

Post by Heki847 »

Timidity++ works brilliantly with no problems after a simple install (without any need for complicated command line configurations) using Software Manager or Synaptic in: Linux Mint 13. Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon or Mate), Ubuntu 12.04 and the latest free Zorin linux distro. As near as out of the box as you can get!

However, my many attempts of installing Timidity++ in Linux Mint 16 (Both Cinnamon and Mate) have failed. When I click on the "Timidity++ MIDI Sequencer" name in the Sound and Video applications menu nothing happens. Using command line to open timidity also fails. I've done this under several fresh installs of Linux Mint 16 from discs obtained by downloading the complete 32 bit version of Linux Mint 16 including codecs from several different mirrors. Timidity also fails to start when I try it out on a Linux Mint 16 (Cinnamon or Mate) live disk.

I've tried various ways of installing Timidity and Timidity-interfaces-extra using Software Manager, Synaptic and also command line. (sometimes with and sometimes without either or both of the following items within the synaptic repository: "timidity-el" and "timidity-daemon" ).After my attempted instals the various Timidity applications appear in Synaptic as though they have been installed. After my attempted instals of Timidity, MIDI audio files play on Totem

I've tried to follow the advice given in the "How to install timidity and configure it right way" article by "yrjo1" in " http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1304 " .
when I enter the command "timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100" as suggested by "yrjo1" I get the following response in terminal:
"/etc/timidity/freepats.cfg: No such file or directory
timidity: Error reading configuration file.
Please check /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg"

My pc is a 32 bit machine with 2 GB of RAM.
(I experience similar problems with graphics package "Xara-lx" not starting in Linux Mint 16 after it has worked great on previous versions of linux Mint).

Any simple suggestions please as to what I am doing wrong with Timidity or is there a way of getting it to work on Linux Mint 16 from a Linux Mint 15 insallation disk?

Many Thanks

HeKi847
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can't get Timidity to work on Linux Mint 16

Post by kyphi »

Timidity works fine in Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon.

The components to install are:

1. timidity
2. timidity-interfaces-extra
3. freepats

The "timidity-interfaces-extra" will let you select which interface you prefer (timidity -ia = default Gnome; timidity -ig = GTK interface; timidity -ik = TKM interface).
Make sure that you specify "Open With" to point to timidity. So, the command attached to your timidity icon should read timidity -ig (if that is your choice).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Heki847

Re: Can't get Timidity to work on Linux Mint 16

Post by Heki847 »

I've installed the 3 applications you suggested (through synaptic) and it works fantastic. I don't even have to go to terminal to start Timidity off (Just right click on the MIDI file and open with "TImidity"). "Freepats" was the application I was missing.

Prior to your easy to implement solution, I had spent a lots of time looking at various forums.

Thank you kyphi for your solution.

Happy New Year, Thanks and kind regards,

HeKi847 :D
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: <SOLVED>Can't get Timidity to work on Linux Mint 16 <SOL

Post by kyphi »

Thank you for your acknowledgement and a Happy New Year to you too, HeKi847.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Sound”