Loudest media player? Newest VLC tops out @125% :(

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NewToLinuxxx

Loudest media player? Newest VLC tops out @125% :(

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

So after recently re-setting up my computer, I found that this newest Mint's vlc player doesn't let you go to 200% anymore, it caps at 125%... this makes some movies far too quiet for me to watch on my laptop :(

Any mods, or alternative players? Or is there any way for me to just get the old version of vlc somehow, if that'd be easier?

(sorry if it's uncool to ask 2 q's in 1 thread, but I'm also looking for a video player that lets me do simple "slow motion", like to watch clips of videos in various slow-motion speeds)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Loudest media player? Newest VLC tops out @125% :(

Post by austin.texas »

NewToLinuxxx wrote:I'm also looking for a video player that lets me do simple "slow motion", like to watch clips of videos in various slow-motion speeds)
SMPlayer - slo-mo is easy with Ctrl+Down and Ctrl+Up
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Look in the VLC Tools/Preferences, at the bottom select All. Click on Audio in the list and there you will see Audio Gain Setting
You will have to restart VLC
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

^mr torvus here knows it all ;) Thanks that's what I needed.

For anyone else reading this to fix same problem: when you're in that preferences screen, there's (2) settings that say 'gain'. One's at 1.00, other is at -7.00. I adjusted the the '1.00' to '2.00' (anything more made it sound like my speakers would break); I played w/ that -7.00 setting, but couldn't notice what it did (it was "default replay gain")
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

You can also go into the sound settings and turn it up over 100%?

The volume control on the bottom panel will stop at 100%, but if you go into the system settings for sound output, it should higher (150%, I think). Does on my system anyway, and it's just a Haswell based Ultrabook (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro) running the default audio driver.
Everyone thinks I'm crazy (except my friends deep inside the earth).
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

lolo:
thanks, that tip saves me from having to post another question! Using the gain feature in VLC, was good for vlc (duh) but it didn't help quiet youtube videos become louder (which is why i came back to bump this thread) but, i saw your post, tried that, and it does go to 153% on mine and that did it for youtube :D

thnx again everyone!!

Return to “Sound”