No sound in Linux Mint 17.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kamikaze1993

No sound in Linux Mint 17.1

Post by kamikaze1993 »

Hey, I have an Lenovo Yogo Pro 2. After i upgraded the system, i got troubles with my sound. I installed PulseAudio, without any result.
Does someone have any clue how i got back my sound?
Could change the kernel to an older version solve my problem?
I have tried commands like :
* sudo alsa force-reload
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No sound in Linux Mint 17.1

Post by Flemur »

I installed PulseAudio, without any result.

Was it installed before? If not, pulseaudio will likely just contribute to problems.

Could change the kernel to an older version solve my problem?

Probably not. But, what are your previous and current kernels?

First run alsamixer and make sure everything is not muted, has good volume, etc.

If using pulseaudio, install pavucontrol and do the same thing as for alsamixer.
Also, check to see if it reports anything using audio.

When that doesn't work, try removing ~/.pulse* and any other "*pulse*" files/directories under your /home/username.

To test, try
$ aplay file.wav
Use a "normal" (e.g. 16bit, 44.1Hz) .wav file.

After that doesn't work, try
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
(and alsa-tools and alsa-utils if you have them)
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure pulseaudio
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kamikaze1993

Post by kamikaze1993 »

I fixed the sound after I upgraded to the latest Kernel. Anyway it doesn't work 100 % jet,Spotify have no sound does someone know how i could fix it? :D
robwill

Post by robwill »

Nothing seems to work for me.
I did all the steps above and even went to a new kernel 3.16.0-33 all with the same result. no sound!
nlou

Post by nlou »

I suddenly lost sound after reboot. Only HDMI and dummy device were found in pavucontrol and aplay -l showed only HDMI devices. I have no HDMI connected. Reinstallations of alsa and/or pulse did not help.

What cured the issue, was disable onboard audio device from bios and boot to mint. Then shut down, enable the onboard audio and reboot ... and then there was the sound! Hope this can help someone with sound problems.

Return to “Sound”