skype cant recive video

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Amos

skype cant recive video

Post by Amos »

Hi all,

I bought a webcam mic etc and had issue but got most of it working now and only have 1 issue left and I have searched for ages trying to find an answer for this so if anyone who has had this issue or a sollution that would be great as I have to use 2 apps to do video conferencing atm so here is the issue

I have skype version beta version 2.1.0.47 and when I try to click test video the webcam comes on but nothing, if I click test again I get a a full grey screen nothing else and have to expo out and quit the grey screen, now if I do a video call, I can see the other persons video and my window where my video and the and the other persons video opens but its transparent with some lightly coloured boxes, I tried this on an older version of skype too and I checked the settings, and they seem to be ok, also have compiz on and remeber the vbox issue with a transparent window as it was a bug or something, anyhow if anyone has had this issue or knows a fix please tell thx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Amos

Re: skype cant recive video

Post by Amos »

thx will give that a go thx

ok I did try and disbale compiz and got the same issue but that was only on test video now I did try the version off synaptic maybe 2.0.0.72 and got the same issue, but thats only test and have to wait till my sister in law comes online to test it, however the camera works fine in cheese and also in ekiga and can send images using aMSN for me it seems like a skype issue, but will post an update when I have done a video call
Amos

Re: skype cant recive video

Post by Amos »

sigh found the issue from this post below its cairo dock causing an issue anyone know a work around as I really like this program

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=464441

ok so test video works now and in another post it said to use this as a workaround, thing is I do use cairo-dock as startup and its gonna mess my setup up a bit if you know what I mean here is the workaround which I dont know what it means
Hello,

we have already noticed that Skype is having some problem when it is run with Cairo-dock using opengl. It is not quite sure what is causing the problem

VLC is also have a problem...it crashes

A workaround is to open a terminal and type the following:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
skype &

after that the video will work in Skype.

it is also discussed at lenght in this thread: http://www.cairo-dock.org/bg_topic.php?t=2156
here is the full thread
http://www.cairo-dock.org/bg_topic.php?t=2304

so I tried the text in the terminal and the self test worked in skype, is there a way around I can have cairo autostart and when I run skype it does that text then run skype?

Return to “Software & Applications”