mutt email client "Alarm clock" message. What's it mean?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

mutt email client "Alarm clock" message. What's it mean?

Post by eddie3000 »

Hi there! I have been using mutt for some time. No problem with gmail. I got it working fine.

But I'm trying to access another email server and I'm having trouble. I can access my mail with thunderbird with no problem. But mutt only half works. It can read but not send. When I try to send from the command line I keep getting the message "Alarm clock" and it doesn't get sent. When I send the email from within mutt, I get the message "Could not connect to XXXX.es (Interrupted system call).". But it does save the email to the "Sent" mail folder when mutt asks me whether I want to postpone the message, it simply does not send it to the recipients.

Here's my .muttrc file:

Code: Select all

set imap_user = "user@xxxx.es"
set imap_pass = "12345678"
set smtp_url = "smtp://user@xxxx.es:587/"
set smtp_pass = "12345678"
set from = "user@xxxx.es"
set use_from = yes
set realname = "user"
set sendmail = "/usr/bin/msmtp"
set ssl_starttls=yes

set header_cache =~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir =~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file =~/.mutt/certificates

set folder = "imaps://mailxxxx.xxxx.es:143"
set spoolfile = "imap://user%40xxxx.es@mailxxxx.xxxx.es/INBOX"
set record = "imap://user%40xxxx.es@mailxxxx.xxxx.es/Sent"
set trash = "imap://user%40xxxx.es@mailxxxx.xxxx.es/Trash"

bind index "ç" imap-fetch-mail

#======================================================#
# Order of headers and what to show
hdr_order Date: From: User-Agent: X-Mailer \
To: Cc: Reply-To: Subject:
ignore *
unignore Date: From: User-Agent: X-Mailer \
To: Cc: Reply-To: Subject:
Thunderbird works with the same configuration information. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? Thank you very much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: mutt email client "Alarm clock" message. What's it mean?

Post by kukamuumuka »

An example about .muttrc

Code: Select all

set imap_user = from_my@gmail.com
set imap_pass = verygoodpasswordhere

set smtp_url = smtp://from_my@smtp.gmail.com:587/
set smtp_pass = verygoodpasswordhere
set from = from_my@gmail.com
set realname = seuritycamera

set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com:993
set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
set postponed="+[Gmail]/Drafts"

set header_cache=~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir=~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certificates

set move = no
set record = '+Sent'
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=198967
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mutt email client "Alarm clock" message. What's it mean?

Post by eddie3000 »

Thank you for you reply.

My config file works. I have been doing some further testing and it has something to do with the corporation's network. It used to work about a month ago, but the administrators have been doing changes lately and mutt has suddenly stopped working (not thunderbird, that works). But talking to them is useless. I work in a failry large company. The system administrators work at another large company. Communication and burocracy are a PITA. The poor guys that answer the phone at the technical support department say they can't do anything. All they do is file the complaint. And that's it, nothing gets done.

This is the situation:

1- I can use mutt from within the corporation's network to access our corporations email, to read only. It won't send. When I try to send I get the alarm clock message at the command line prompt.
2- I can use Thunderbird from within the corporation's network to access our corporations email, both read and send emails.
3- I can't access gmail from within the corporation network with neither. But I can access gmail using a web browser.
4- I can't access the corporation email from outside their network using thunderbird or mutt. But I can access it using a network browser.

Why would thunderbird work and not mutt using the same email configuration? Can somebody think of a workaround? I need mutt (or any other command line email client) because I can automate things using scripts. Thunderbird can't be controlled from the command line (as far as I'm aware). I would like to be able to use mutt (or another command line email client) from within the corporation's network to send emails. It should be possible because thunderbird works flawlessly. Could somebody help me out? Thanks again.

Return to “Software & Applications”