Vidio editing in Mint? (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jps286

Vidio editing in Mint? (Solved)

Post by jps286 »

I'm using Linux Mint MATE on a couple of desktops. Our Windows laptop suddenly died, and now my daughter would like to me to install video editing software on one of my Linux machines so she can do some basic video editing. Previously she was using Windows Movie Maker.

I googled video editing software for Linux, then looked for what popped up (e.g. OpenShot, kdenlive) in Software Manager. But nothing seems to be available there, nor in Package Manager (unless I'm missing something). I'm a relatively new Linux user, and haven't installed much software from outside sources. I tried downloading and installing OpenShot from the PPA, but it failed for some reason.

I guess I'm most interested in OpenShot at this time, but I'm wondering if there is something else that works better in Mint. Also, I need to know the installation procedure for whatever I end up trying to install.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Vidio editing in Mint?

Post by kukamuumuka »

For a beginner Avidemux qt is a good choice, because it is simple and fast. Video editors should be available without adding ppas.
video.png
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

(e.g. OpenShot, kdenlive) in Software Manager. But nothing seems to be available there, nor in Package Manager
Screenshot-Software Manager.png
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jps286

Post by jps286 »

That's odd. These don't show up in software manager in my MATE 17.0 machine, but do in my MATE 17.1 machine.

Thanks, mystery partly solved. The machine where they don't show up is the one I would prefer to use. It apparently has an older version of software manager - mintInstall 7.5.7, but I wouldn't have guessed that would be a problem.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

jps286 wrote:That's odd. These don't show up in software manager in my MATE 17.0 machine, but do in my MATE 17.1 machine.

Thanks, mystery partly solved. The machine where they don't show up is the one I would prefer to use. It apparently has an older version of software manager - mintInstall 7.5.7, but I wouldn't have guessed that would be a problem.
Is the 17.0 updated and is its repos OK?

Code: Select all

inxi -r
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

an older version of software manager - mintInstall 7.5.7, but I wouldn't have guessed that would be a problem
fyi---the software choices are the same using 7.5.7
Screenshot.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi jps286 & your daughter,

I just read your post and the good replies... Here are my thoughts on your post.

I. First, I would recommend upgrading the one machine to 17.1 using the Mint Update Manager.

II. There are numerous really good posts on Video Editing in this forum, some very recent. "OpenShot" and "Kdenlive" are very good, easy to use, video editors. There are a few others too. I use the "kdenlive" video editor because it is quick and easy to use and is still being maintained and updated. If you search this forum for "video", "Video editing", etc... you will see a lot of posts containing good information on this topic.

III. It would help to know more about what your daughter wants to accomplish with the video editing software. Does she use a camera, webcam, and or video camera? If so, which ones does she use, makes and models? Does she want to make videos for sharing on YouTube, Web Sites, Friends smart phones / devices, creating DVD's to play in DVD players, etc...

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Mate 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from top of your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program(s), and the best is by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jps286

Post by jps286 »

administrollaattori wrote: Is the 17.0 updated and is its repos OK?

inxi -r
Update manager reports system is up to date, but it's been glitchy on this particular machine.

Here's the inxi -r output:

Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com qiana main upstream import #id:linuxmint_main
deb http://extra.linuxmint.com qiana main #id:linuxmint_extra
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openshot_developers-ppa-trusty.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openshot.developers/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openshot.developers/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
jps286

Post by jps286 »

phd21 wrote:Hi jps286 & your daughter,
I just read your post and the good replies... Here are my thoughts on your post.
Thanks for these thoughts. I installed OpenShot on the other machine tonight, and she has been playing with it this afternoon to edit camcorder footage of a play my other daughter was in. The video she made is exporting as we speak, and it will go up on YouTube tomorrow. She uses a Sony HDR-CX330, which is just a pretty basic camcorder. She was using the Sony software that came with it, and thinks OpenShot is going to be better than either the Sony software or Windows Movie Maker.

Here's the requested info on this machine. It would be nice to figure this out and get the software installed on this one, because even though it's quite dated, it's faster than the other machine.

Thanks,
Jim

$ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: Media Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTek model: A8V-XE version: 1.XX Bios: Phoenix version: ASUS A8V-XE 0702 date: 09/25/2006
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 8000.38
Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.095 MHz 2: 2000.095 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] bus-ID: 02:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1280x1024@75.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce 7300 LE/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.125 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: VIA VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 07:01.0 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: ee00 bus-ID: 0a:0c.0
IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 499.6GB (25.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3500312CS size: 499.6GB
Partition: ID: / size: 19G used: 6.4G (37%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 688M used: 42M (7%) fs: ext4
ID: /home size: 53G used: 8.8G (18%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.95GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 161 Uptime: 4:56 Memory: 669.1/2014.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
jps286

Post by jps286 »

all41 wrote:fyi---the software choices are the same using 7.5.7
Thanks for letting me know. Something is definitely messed up.

Jim
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Your main repositories are the same as this 17 Mate.
You could try opening your Update Manager, click Edit/Software Sources and untick
the boxes for Additional Repositories and PPAs, then click the Update Cache button.
Then I would try:

apt update
to see if errors are reported.

Then retry Synaptic package or Software Manager and look
for the video editors
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI jps286 (jim) and daughters,

I. I don't see anything "messed up" in the "inxi -Fxz" output; it looks good. Can you bring up the Mint Update Manager and go to "Edit" and see if there is an option to upgrade to Mint 17.1? If there is, select that and upgrade to 17.1, then reboot (restart). If you cannot upgrade, see #II. below.

II. If you think you have a problem in the Software Manager, or Synaptic Package Manager, or installing via the terminal, then you can run these console terminal commands below to repair most of those issues. It won't hurt anything to run them anyway. Then, you can try installing something else, like "kdenlive", or something else.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes -f

III. How do you and or your daughters connect the camcorder to the computer to download the videos, using the USB cable, or the microSD card in a microSD USB adapter?

IV. Just FYI: You can also use the great "kdenlive" video editor to easily create various video projects from various multimedia files (one or more) (clips as they call them), first select "new" for new project, choose a video profile (720p, 1080p), then just add the video "clips" (multimedia files), then "drag" a clip (your video file) from the "clips" list box, to the "timeline" onto "Clip1", If you have other video or audio files then add them the same way next to your first clip, then click "render", select an option to create your final project as .mp4, web format, etc... even to a DVD, wait until it is finished, & that's it. Of course you can do a whole lot more with "Kdenlive" video editor, if you want to, like adding special effects, scene transitional effects, etc...
Kdenlive Quickstart Manual
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/QuickStart

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jps286

Post by jps286 »

all41 wrote:Your main repositories are the same as this 17 Mate.
You could try opening your Update Manager, click Edit/Software Sources and untick
the boxes for Additional Repositories and PPAs, then click the Update Cache button.
Then I would try:

apt update
to see if errors are reported.

Then retry Synaptic package or Software Manager and look
for the video editors
Thanks. I finally got a chance to try this, and now the video editors are showing up in Software Manager!

Return to “Software & Applications”