Sync music on iPod Touch 4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stratacast1

Sync music on iPod Touch 4

Post by Stratacast1 »

I've tried multiple distros, but it seems whenever I connect my iPod touch 4 with iOS 6 to my computer, it crashes all the media players that can sync with it (Rhythmbox, Banshee, gtkpod). Does anyone have a fix or a resolution? Looking at the updates to libimobiledevice4, they've had iOS 6 support for quite some time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sync music on iPod Touch 4

Post by phd21 »

Stratacast1 wrote:I've tried multiple distros, but it seems whenever I connect my iPod touch 4 with iOS 6 to my computer, it crashes all the media players that can sync with it (Rhythmbox, Banshee, gtkpod). Does anyone have a fix or a resolution? Looking at the updates to libimobiledevice4, they've had iOS 6 support for quite some time.
Hi Stratacast1, and anyone else,

There are some really great music players music managers, like Amarok (my favorite), Clementine, Exaile, etc... some of these, if not all of these, should be able to do this. There are also programs (and libraries) in your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager as well that you can install, if you search for "ipod" and or "iphone", etc... You might need to install some of these for whatever music player to connect to and read and write music (sync) to your "ipod or iphone" (whatever device), then again you might not have to.

You may have to restart your computer after installing the previously mentioned Music Player and or any of the programs from the Software Manager, before the music player and your system can communicate with your device.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Stratacast1

Post by Stratacast1 »

Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't solve the issue. It still likes to make the programs for syncing crash happy
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Stratacast1 wrote:Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't solve the issue. It still likes to make the programs for syncing crash happy
Hi Stratacast1,

You did not mention anything regarding what you have done since my post? And, you have not told us what Linux Mint edition and version you are using? Did you install Amarok, or Clementine, or Exaile, or "gtkpod", now and tested it?

I don't have an "ipod", or an "iphone", but I have done some thorough research into this before and again today. Amarok can easily handle this without "crashing", and from what I have read so can the others I mentioned. Most, or All of them have settings and or can automatically recognize "ipod" and 'iphone" and USB devices. So far, using Amarok, I have no problems connecting and using various USB devices and updating them with music.

I use Amarok 2.8 on Linux Mint KDE 17.1. Amarok has built-in plug-ins for "ipod" and 'iphone" devices (see screen shot below). There are also the libraries, "libgpod" to access these devices which are installed on my system, but I didn't install them, so maybe Amarok did or its installed by default. There is "gtkpod" in the Software Manager as well which is made for this ... The "Exaile" music player has a separate plug-in in the Software Manager for ipods, that might be installed automatically or you can install it.

There are numerous articles (and posts) on connecting "iDevices", like "ipods" and "iPhones", which claim it does work WELL, here are just a couple of them.

How to get your IPOD (and other media devices) work with Amarok 2
https://bausparfuchs.wordpress.com/2010 ... -amarok-2/

How To Connect Your Ipod On Linux KDE4 - You own an iPod and you want to connect it to your Kubuntu desktop. This is easily done using a program called Amarok
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 25367.aspx

Managing iPod/iPhone Without iTunes - August 2015
http://ccm.net/faq/191-managing-ipod-ip ... out-itunes

Google Search results on this topic...
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Li ... pod+iphone

More technical articles:
The purpose of this article is to demonstrate the use of iDevices under Arch Linux
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod

This page will help you connect your Apple iPod, iPhone or iPad devices to Ubuntu (Linux Mint).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone
=====================================================================================================

Note: Do not use passive USB hubs (like 4-port USB hubs that do not have their own power supplies). You might consider trying another USB port too.

If your system is crashing when you connect your ipod, then it might be your system setup, some other hardware issue, or your ipod.

Hope this helps ...
Amarok_ipod1.jpg

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my favorite), or Xfce; version 17 or 17.1, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from top of your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program(s), and the best is by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”