<SOLVED>LibreOffice PPA

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<SOLVED>LibreOffice PPA

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hey, guys. I'm on Betsy, so I'm very unfamiliar with ppas; but I'm installing Rafaela for somebody else. I want to add the LibreOffice ppa so they can have the latest version of Libreoffice on their machine. After reading https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa and http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/libr ... linux-mint I'm a bit confused. What ppa should I use?
Clarification: I'm looking for LibreOffice "fresh", not any alpha or beta releases. :)

Thanks!
Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LibreOffice PPA

Post by xenopeek »

This one: https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa. So add "ppa:libreoffice/ppa" on the PPA tab in Software Sources.

BTW, Linux Mint 17.2 comes with 4.4.3 so is already pretty recent (newest would be 4.4.4; minor differences).
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Fred,

How's it going?

I agree with xenopeek, and I use the same ppa "ppa:libreoffice/ppa" to have the latest stable LibreOffice v4.4

From a console terminal prompt, type in each line one by one, or copy & paste each line:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

You can check the version after installation by bringing it up and going to "help", then "about".

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That doesn't help phd21; this isn't the LibreOffice Fresh version that Fred asked about. Your PPA will keep you on the 4.4 branch of LibreOffice, while the PPA I gave provides you with the Fresh branch of LibreOffice—Fresh being the latest stable release. So when shortly LibreOffice 5.0 is released you won't upgrade to it with that PPA.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

xenopeek wrote:That doesn't help phd21; this isn't the LibreOffice Fresh version that Fred asked about. Your PPA will keep you on the 4.4 branch of LibreOffice, while the PPA I gave provides you with the Fresh branch of LibreOffice—Fresh being the latest stable release. So when shortly LibreOffice 5.0 is released you won't upgrade to it with that PPA.
Hi Fred and xenopeek,

I totally agree, and I do use the PPA "xenopeek" mentioned. I posted the other based on Fred's link. I modified the previous post. Thank you for pointing this out...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Thanks for this, guys. Another item off my "to do" list.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks xenopeek and phd21. I'm working on Windows 7 updates on the same machine (yawn ;) ) so I can't try this yet, but I will ASAP.

Kinda ironic, MS just refused the product key I'd recovered for Office on this machine. Nice to not have to worry about any of that with Linux! :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

One thing to add if we're talking about Linux Mint 17.2; in addition to adding the LibreOffice Fresh PPA you also need to raise the APT priority for this repository else nothing will be installed from it through Update Manager. I didn't think about that before, but from somebody's problem with getting anything installed from this PPA on Linux Mint 17.2 I've written this short guide: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=201522
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks xenopeek. I had two LO updates after this step. :)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Software & Applications”