[Mint 17.1] Help syncing music from iOS8 device

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcganical

[Mint 17.1] Help syncing music from iOS8 device

Post by mcganical »

Hi,
I have an "old" iPhone 4, with iOS8, that I use just for music. The phone mounts on my computer (Mint 17.1 64-bit Cinnamon), but I can't see the music files on it, nor sync it with software.

I've tried:
Rhythmbox - it simply doesn't recognize the device, even though it's mounted on the computer.
Banshee - It kept crashing, with a SIGSEGV error. However, one time it magically didn't crash. It then attempted to find the files on the iPhone, but turned up empty (so it states that the phone has zero files on it).
GTKPod - crashes with a segmentation fault.

Note that neither Banshee or GTKPod crashes when the iPhone isn't mounted.

From what I can gather, the root of the problem is that libimobiledevice 1.1.5, as offered in Synaptics, doesn't work with iOS7 or iOS8. However, the newest version, 1.2.0, does: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/. But I can't find any reliable method for installing it. I downloaded it, ran configure, and it failed, stating that libusbmuxd was out of date. So I downloaded that, ran configure, and it failed, stating that libplist was out of date. When I tried to install that one, it said that my python2 was out of date (I think). At that point I realized I was outside of my comfort range. So does anyone have tried and true instructions for getting libimobiledevice 1.2.0 to work in Mint 17.1?

Personally, I would assume that this would be a somewhat high priority, given that many users really want to sync their devices, and iOS7 and iOS8 are popular devices. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mcganical

Re: [Mint 17.1] Help syncing music from iOS8 device

Post by mcganical »

Maybe this question would be better-suited for the Newbie section. Can anyone move it for me?
peyotitot

Post by peyotitot »

I've the same problem.

no idea ?
Stratacast1

Post by Stratacast1 »

I had hopes that they would try to get 1.2 for Linux Mint. Being Mint is the center for converting Windows people to GNU/Linux really. I just came from Fedora 22 which had libimobiledevice version 1.2, and it Still couldn't properly sync for my iPhone 6 with iOS 8. The music is on my iPhone, but the Music application can't find it so it's just taking up space and being inaccessible :( what I find is REALLY crappy is my iPod is running iOS 6 and it crashes anything it connects to. Doesn't matter what distro it is.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi mcganical, and anyone else,

There are some really great music players music managers, like Amarok (my favorite), Clementine, Exaile, etc... some of these, if not all of these, should be able to do this. There are also programs (and libraries) in your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager as well that you can install, if you search for "ipod" and or "iphone", etc... You might need to install some of these for whatever music player to connect to and read and write music (sync) to your "ipod or iphone" (whatever device), then again you might not have to.

You may have to restart your computer after installing the previously mentioned Music Player and or any of the programs from the Software Manager, before the music player and your system can communicate with your device.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
LinuxOpal

Post by LinuxOpal »

I have a similar problem, but for me it's being unable to get my iPad to recognize the files being sync'd to it properly. For example, I can use Banshee to get a song onto my iPad, but when I look for it on the device, nothing's there.

I've scoured the internet looking for a good solution, but I haven't found anything other than "Just use iTunes." It's sad that this issue has been around for years and never properly resolved, despite so many people having it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

To continue this thread, I have some more information for you.

I don't have an "ipod", or an "iphone", but I have done some thorough research into this before and again today. Amarok can easily handle this, and from what I have read so can the others I mentioned. Most, or All of them have settings and or can automatically recognize "ipod" and 'iphone" and USB devices. So far, using Amarok, I have no problems connecting and using various USB devices and updating them with music.

I use Amarok 2.8 on Linux Mint KDE 17.1. Amarok has built-in plug-ins for "ipod" and 'iphone" devices (see screen shot below). There are also the libraries, "libgpod" to access these devices which are installed on my system, but I didn't install them, so maybe Amarok did or its installed by default. There is "gtkpod" in the Software Manager as well which is made for this ... The "Exaile" music player has a separate plug-in in the Software Manager for ipods, that might be installed automatically or you can install it.

There are numerous articles (and posts) on connecting "iDevices", like "ipods" and "iPhones", which claim it does work WELL, here are just a couple of them.

How to get your IPOD (and other media devices) work with Amarok 2
https://bausparfuchs.wordpress.com/2010 ... -amarok-2/

How To Connect Your Ipod On Linux KDE4 - You own an iPod and you want to connect it to your Kubuntu desktop. This is easily done using a program called Amarok
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 25367.aspx

Managing iPod/iPhone Without iTunes - August 2015
http://ccm.net/faq/191-managing-ipod-ip ... out-itunes

Google Search results on this topic...
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Li ... pod+iphone

More technical articles:
The purpose of this article is to demonstrate the use of iDevices under Arch Linux
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod

This page will help you connect your Apple iPod, iPhone or iPad devices to Ubuntu (Linux Mint).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone
=====================================================================================================

Note: Do not use passive USB hubs (like 4-port USB hubs that do not have their own power supplies). You might consider trying another USB port too.

If your system is crashing when you connect your ipod, or not being recognized, then it might be your system setup, some other hardware issue, or your ipod.

Hope this helps ...
Amarok_ipod1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mcganical

Post by mcganical »

Thanks a lot for the detailed responses, phd21. I'll give these a try!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI mcganical,

You are welcome.

Keep us posted on your progress ...

Return to “Software & Applications”