No pdf Thumbs in LM17 ((SOLVED))

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinCrasher

No pdf Thumbs in LM17 ((SOLVED))

Post by WinCrasher »

I have tried to figure this out on my own and I am at the end. Ever since I upgraded to LM 17 I have not had Thumbnails on my pdf's. At first it was cute but now it's just annoying.
I have File Management Preferences>Preview>Show Thumbnails set to Always for files smaller than 100 MB.

I have Jpeg Thumbs, Video Thumbs, Raw file Thumbs, Even Gif's have thumbs but not pdf's. I have installed Tumbler and Poppler-glib files as per this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fi ... l_Previews But still no thumbs.

I've also installed Nautilus to replace Caja, but It doesn't show up as an option under Preferred Aplications.

Thanks for help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: No pdf Thumbs in LM17

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

I guess it might be an ownership problem (you upgraded?)
try this
1) Remove Caja

2) Re-create the default configuration for thumbnail folder:

Code: Select all

rm $HOME/.cache/thumbnails
rm -fr $HOME/.thumbnails && mkdir $HOME/.thumbnails
3) Do a fresh re-installation of caja
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

Sorry that didn't work.
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $ rm $HOME/.cache/thumbnails
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/greg/.cache/thumbnails’: Is a directory
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $ rm -fr $HOME/.thumbnails && mkdir $HOME/.thumbnails
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $ rm $HOME/.cache/thumbnails
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/greg/.cache/thumbnails’: Is a directory
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $ rm -fr $HOME/.thumbnails && mkdir $HOME/.thumbnails
greg@greg-Satellite-L355 ~ $
SO I went in and manually deleted /home/greg/.cache/thumbnails, then reinstalled Caja. ($HOME/.thumbnails was already there) As soon as I opened a folder of Photos, .cache/thumbnails started repopulating. $HOME/.thumbnails is still empty.

I have Nautilus installed, Why can't I see it? Is there a reason they replaced it with Caja? (Caja Only has 3 stars.)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

sorry you didn't say you installed Nautilus, I assumed as you had MATE you were using caja my bad.
Must be a way to do the same for nautilus.
Someone else with nautilus could help.
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

I do have Caja. That's what I am using as it came with LM 17. LM 13 used Nautilus, So I tried to reinstalll that when Caja didn't work. To me it doesn't matter which one I am using as long as it works.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

out of ideas, it worked for me.
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

No worries. Thanks for your help. :D
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Fwiw... what's your default "Open With" set to for PDFs? I have Caja (on LMDE though) and mine works fine. I am using "Document Viewer" for the default "Open With" that you find in the file "Properties".

I tried to include a screen shot, but the forum is having a little problem with attachment quotas right now.
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

I have installed Okular, but only as an attempt to fix my thumbnail problem. I originally used Document Viewer. Both programs work fine except for the thumbnail issue.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Also look into gcon-editor for Gnome section, thumbnails
http://askubuntu.com/questions/136024/h ... file-types
--another edit program option to check Thumbnails generation..

Also, I realize that you would prefer to see the thumbnails within the file manager, but Evince and other pdf readers have these thumbnail preview images ready within those applications..
--I probably prefer that as well, but when I am looking specifically at PDF files, I use a PDF reader to scan that collection..
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

Thanks for responding. The Disable list at org > gnome > desktop > thumbnailer is empty.

And unfortunately, I don't see thumbs within Okular or Doc Viewer either.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wincrasher and everyone else, If you are having a problem with viewing PDF icons (and other file types) in Linux Mint 17, I may have found a solution for you. I could not see PDF previews when browsing in my Dolphin file manager either in Linux Mint 17 KDE. So like Wincrasher and others, I did a lot of research and finally found a way without having to install or setup Caja. First check to see if your file manager settings have the preview for PDF files option and that it is checked. In the Dolphin file manager, go to "Settings", "configure Dolphin", scroll down and click "General", then click the "Previews" tab, select all the file types, including "Postscript, PDF, and DVI files", that you want to see previewed in your file manager, hit apply, and that's it, unless you don't see the option for PDF files.

If you do not see the option to select the "Postscript, PDF, and DVI files", then, you need to install some thumbnail viewers form the repositories. I installed all of these thumbnail viewers from the synaptic package manager: "kdegraphics-thumbnailers", "kde-thumbnailer-openoffice", "kde-thumbnailer-audiothumbs", "ffmpegthumbs". Then, you have to go through the steps in the previous paragraph to make sure the your file manager preview settings for PDF files type is now checked and applied.

I found this information from this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/125052/q ... 261#125261 . This worked out really well for me in LM17 KDE, not sure about the other LM versions. After reading some more posts, some other people claim installing the "Evince" viewer also solved this problem. Hope this helps ... 8)
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
WinCrasher

Post by WinCrasher »

Well I guess I can call this one solved. But I can't really say how. I took phd21 's advice and installed a bunch of thumbnailers. I just went thru the SPM and checked everything that looked applicable and installed them. No result. Then I read the post again and saw the part about installing Evince. So I installed that and now my pdf's have thumbs. yay. :|

Thing is I started out with Evince. It's the stock doc viewer for MATE. I guess it must have been one of those random 'nailers I installed from the synaptic. :?

But as long as it works. Thanks phd21 and everyone else that responded. :D
mcgyver52

Re: No pdf Thumbs in LM17 ((SOLVED))

Post by mcgyver52 »

Thanks phd21.

Been trying to solve this for a while.

In NEMO 2.4.5 goto edit - prefeences - preview select - show thumbnails & change to always & <4Gb

What threw me was that some thumbnails showed & others didn't.

ALAN

Return to “Software & Applications”