[Solved] Stop Firefox Asking To Save Tabs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Stop Firefox Asking To Save Tabs

Post by lannatwin »

Since upgrading to Firefox 15, it insists on asking me if I want to save my open tabs when shutting down. I do not. I mark the check-box to not ask again, and close Firefox. Next time it asks again. I have checked the config file. The option is set to false. I have tried deleting the ~firefox folder. No change. Anyone? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Stop Firefox Asking To Save Tabs

Post by xenopeek »

I had the same issue (annoying :D) and found the solution to be the following. Go to the address about:config (type that in the address bar), accept the warning given, then in the Search field search for:

Code: Select all

browser.*warnon
Then set browser.tabs.warnOnClose and browser.warnOnQuit both to false (double-click them to change their value). That should solve it.
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Stop Firefox Asking To Save Tabs

Post by lannatwin »

xenopeek wrote:I had the same issue (annoying :D) and found the solution to be the following. Go to the address about:config (type that in the address bar), accept the warning given, then in the Search field search for:

Code: Select all

browser.*warnon
Then set browser.tabs.warnOnClose and browser.warnOnQuit both to false (double-click them to change their value). That should solve it.
Perfect. Thank you!
fullmoonguru
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Stop Firefox Asking To Save Tabs

Post by fullmoonguru »

+1 thanks. Was really annoying & changing the single setting to false (the answer you see everywhere) wasn't working.
4Bn0rmL

Stop Firefox Asking Firefox To Save Tabs - Mint 15

Post by 4Bn0rmL »

This seems to be a continual issue with each version of Mint, including my adored-favorite-OS-on-the-planet, Mint 15, and it is related to the following. Included is a fix:

The issue is that LinuxMint has created a "/usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor-firefox.js" file, and no matter what the user selects in his own session, the defaults are returned to the next browser session, if they exist in that file. The simplest solution is to rename the file or remove it (I suggest the former, for safety):

sudo ren /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor-firefox.js vendor-firefox.js.disabled

This will do the trick. It is also a fix for the default search engine returning each new session. I'd rather use Google, myself. If you a comfortable with light coding, you can comment out the code that sets the preferences in the vendor-firefox file, too. Examples are given in the file.

It is important to note that future updates, send by LinuxMint for firefox, may replace the file, and the new file may need then be removed or renamed, etc. According to the notes in the file, Mozilla says that placing the vendor-firefox.js file into "/etc/firefox/pref" and changing settings within that file to your liking, will preserve the changes and prevent overwriting during an update. I haven't tried it, but changing the line:

Old:
user_pref("browser.showQuitWarning", true);
New:
user_pref("browser.showQuitWarning", false);

Should work as well.

I sure hope this helps.

Return to “Software & Applications”