Gnome-ppp won't install in a fresh install of LM11.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gyrotwister

Gnome-ppp won't install in a fresh install of LM11.

Post by Gyrotwister »

Had this very same problem with LM10.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70093

Again, the required .debs have been installed in the folder /usr/share/local-repository/binary
Looks like they are all there...

libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
wvdial_1.61-2_i386.deb
gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb

If I double click these files, I know I'll soon have a working Gnome-ppp application up and running but shouldn't Software Manager and Package Manager be able to install these automatically?
Why doesn't this work straight out of the box?
Install Gnome-ppp1.png
After clicking [Install] nothing happens.
Install Gnome-ppp2.png
Looks like the reference to the local-repository is checked OK.
Install Gnome-ppp5.png
Is there something a dialup user is supposed to do first in order to enable this so called “local-repository”?
I wonder how many dialup users have frisbeed their LM live CDs into the bin and moved on to another distro because they couldn't figure out how to make it work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gnome-ppp won't install in a fresh install of LM11.

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

You are missing a step (step 4 in below). Here is what I did to make it work.

1. Download the needed files on another machine with the same architecture (32 bit / 64 bit).

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get download gnome-ppp libuniconf4.6 libwvstreams4.6-base libwvstreams4.6-extras wvdial
Figured I needed all those by doing a "sudo apt-get install --simulate gnome-ppp" on Linux Mint 11.

2. Copy them to the machine where you need them. Just put them in your user's home directory. Open a terminal on the directory where you have put all the files.

3. Copy them to where they need to go:

sudo cp *.deb /usr/share/local-repository/binary
4. Update your local repository:

cd /usr/share/local-repository/
sudo ./update-repository
5. Now you can install gnome-ppp and its dependencies through the Software Manager.
Gyrotwister

Post by Gyrotwister »

Hello xenopeek! You've helped me before.

Here's what happened.

rob@rob-System-Product-Name /usr/share/local-repository $ sudo ./update-repository 
[sudo] password for rob: 
dpkg-scanpackages: warning: Packages in archive but missing from override file: 
dpkg-scanpackages: warning:   b43-fwcutter bcmwl-kernel-source dkms gnome-ppp libuniconf4.6 libwvstreams4.6-base libwvstreams4.6-extras linux-wlan-ng linux-wlan-ng-doc lupin-support mouseemu ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 oem-config oem-config-gtk setserial sl-modem-daemon wvdial 
dpkg-scanpackages: info: Wrote 19 entries to output Packages file. 
rob@rob-System-Product-Name /usr/share/local-repository $ 
Software Manager still can't install Gnome-ppp.

I'm pretty sure that it will install if I double click the .deb files (in the correct order) without using Software Manager or Package Manager just like I did last time.

Mr V, I don't want to waste your time with this but what really does interest me is your opinion as to whether this is a bug and how to report it. Does LM even have a bug reporting process or guide to follow? If the install CD can automatically put the .debs on every LM users hard drive during the standard install process then surely Software Manager should come preconfigured to find and install them when/if requested. It bothers me that this hasn't worked in LM10, LM11 and I read that it doesn't work out of the box with LM12 either.

Rob.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The output of the update-repository command is as expected. Sorry, I should perhaps have given an example as it is a bit misleading with all the warnings :wink:

If the Software Manager is still not doing anything, can you try instead to open a terminal and share the output of the following command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
Perhaps there is still some dependency missing? What does it say?

Before logging a bug, let's try to solve it.
Gyrotwister

Post by Gyrotwister »

OK, here's what happened.

rob@rob-System-Product-Name ~ $ gnome-ppp 
The program 'gnome-ppp' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing: 
sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp 
rob@rob-System-Product-Name ~ $ sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp 
[sudo] password for rob: 
Reading package lists... Done 
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done 
The following extra packages will be installed: 
  libuniconf4.6 libwvstreams4.6-base libwvstreams4.6-extras wvdial 
The following NEW packages will be installed: 
  gnome-ppp libuniconf4.6 libwvstreams4.6-base libwvstreams4.6-extras wvdial 
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 73 not upgraded. 
Need to get 1,078 kB of archives. 
After this operation, 3,330 kB of additional disk space will be used. 
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y 
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main libwvstreams4.6-base i386 4.6.1-1ubuntu1 
  Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main libwvstreams4.6-extras i386 4.6.1-1ubuntu1 
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main libuniconf4.6 i386 4.6.1-1ubuntu1 
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main wvdial i386 1.61-2 
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe gnome-ppp i386 0.3.23-1ubuntu3 
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/w/wvstreams/libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/w/wvdial/wvdial_1.61-2_i386.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnome-ppp/gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' 
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing? 
rob@rob-System-Product-Name ~ $ 
Looks to me like it's still trying to access the online repository. Why is it trying to look online when the live CD installer has already deposited these files on the hard drive?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I'm lost. I tried it as you have, and it worked for me with my computer disconnected from the Internet :(

Your Software Sources show the local-repository to be active, you have all the needed .deb files in /usr/share/local-repository/binary and you have added them to the local-repository with the update-repository command... It should work :(
Gyrotwister

Post by Gyrotwister »

Wow, my brain's going to explode. I just can't understand how my desktop PC can behave differently to anyone else's.

Mr V, just to clarify about your experience...

You started with a fresh install onto a new partition without an internet connection.
Then still without any connection, without any updates from online repositories what so ever, the [Install] button in Software Manager was clicked and Gnome-ppp installed OK?

Just wondering if you may have used some other way of getting online between the OS install and the Gnome-ppp install. There may be something in the initial online updates which makes this work.

Think I'll go and double click those .debs now.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I tested this on a clean install of LM11 on VirtualBox. Booted into the clean install, copied the .deb files from my machine and disconnected the virtual machine from the network. Then did the install without problems.

Instead of double-clicking each .deb file, you can open a terminal at the directory where you have the .deb files. Then run:

sudo dpkg --install --recursive .
Or shorter:

sudo dpkg -iR .
This command will install all the .deb files in the current directory, and its subdirectories. dpkg will figure out the order in which to install the .deb files.
Gyrotwister

Post by Gyrotwister »

Sorry for the delay. Sometimes life gets busy.

Issuing

sudo dpkg --install --recursive .
from the folder /usr/share/local-repository/binary installed gnome-ppp and everything else (drivers? etc) that was in that directory.

Wasn't able to connect to my ISP at first until I ran gnome-ppp as root once. Something to do with permissions for configuration files chap-secrets and pap-secrets which contain account and pword information.

Dialup is working but I still suspect the failure to install is a BUG.

My Linux partitions are on fixed drive sdb. Is it possible that the path specified in software-sources “file:///usr/share/local-repository binary/” is drive dependent?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, "file:///usr/share/local-repository binary/" uniquely maps to a directory on specific drive. There is no confusion as with Windows (C:, D:, E:, etc.) about on which drive it is.
Gyrotwister

Post by Gyrotwister »

I've been experimenting with a Dell Latitude D530.
Installed LM11 Gnome 32Bit from the same DVD.
Same outcome. Software Manager would not install it. I had to navigate to /usr/share/local-repository/ and issue "sudo dpkg --install --recursive ." as before. It's not a problem which is specific only to my desktop pc.
Was there something I was supposed to do first to actually enable the local repository?
Could this be a bug which does not show in a VM?

Mr V, looking back at some of the information in this thread I still don't understand why you took this step.
"Booted into the clean install, copied the .deb files from my machine and..."
The live disk puts all the relevant files in /usr/share/local-repository/ when the system is installed so why copy or move them?

Sorry to drag this out but I've been liking my Linux Mint and Dial-up is all I've got.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry, it has been a long time ago. I can't recall why I copied the files... I can confirm the files are included on the Live DVD, but you can't install them with the Software Manager.

Return to “Software & Applications”