Google drops Picassa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Google drops Picassa

Post by nomko »

For all Picassa users here: Google drops Picassa.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/goog ... for-linux/
and
http://www.muktware.com/news/3550/googl ... casa-linux

Gladly there's a good successor for Picassa called Shotwell available!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: Google drops Picassa

Post by veggen »

While Google deprecating stuff does suck, in this case it's really no loss.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

veggen wrote:While Google deprecating stuff does suck, in this case it's really no loss.
+1
Why does anyone care :?: It was not that Good :)
Any one who likes it, Can still use the last Beta in the Repos :)
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Are you talking about the application Picasa or the website picasa.google.com?
I tried to log in to picasa.google.com today, and it said 'picasa is not currently available for your operating system'. I didn't understand. I thought it's just a photo sharing and management site just like flickr.yahoo.com.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

mysoomro wrote:Are you talking about the application Picasa or the website picasa.google.com?
I tried to log in to picasa.google.com today, and it said 'picasa is not currently available for your operating system'. I didn't understand. I thought it's just a photo sharing and management site just like flickr.yahoo.com.

Both for Linux (I think)...Google has dropped Support For Linux :( As the site reported it's NOT available for your OS :!: Nuff Said :) :)
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

OldManHook wrote: Both for Linux (I think)...Google has dropped Support For Linux :( As the site reported it's NOT available for your OS :!: Nuff Said :) :)
It's really bad, they shouldn't have done it. :/ All this time I was thinking Google supports open source and free software, and the freedom that it gives.. I don't understand why they had to do this.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

OldManHook wrote: +1
Why does anyone care :?...
I know I don't. :)
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Habitual wrote:
OldManHook wrote: +1
Why does anyone care :?...
I know I don't. :)
That's right; why should anyone care.. :) There are lot of things to replace it..
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

mysoomro wrote:Are you talking about the application Picasa or the website picasa.google.com?
The website works fine for me. In fact I just uploaded some pictures to the website directly from gThumb.
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

Lantesh wrote:
The website works fine for me. In fact I just uploaded some pictures to the website directly from gThumb.
Do you have the default user agent?
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Lantesh wrote:
Yes, I just saw that functionality in gThumb just now. It gives options for sharing photos on all flickr, facebook and picasa etc.. Seems really useful..
Thanks for pointing my attention to it!! :)
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

RETNUH wrote:
Lantesh wrote:
Do you have the default user agent?
I use chromium. And I didn't make any new users.
veggen

Post by veggen »

What? Of course it's only about Picasa, the application. How can a site not support an OS?!! There's nothing OS specific in sites, sites work in browsers and browsers work in Linux.
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

veggen wrote:What? Of course it's only about Picasa, the application. How can a site not support an OS?!! There's nothing OS specific in sites, sites work in browsers and browsers work in Linux.
Yes. That's what made me wonder! Technology changes too fast, so I thought they might have found a way out to do that..
I didn't know about Picasa. I thought it's just a web based application.. It's just recently I knew that it's an application..

Return to “Software & Applications”