Software Management not downloading packages (Mint 13)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty_Fresh_Man

Software Management not downloading packages (Mint 13)

Post by Minty_Fresh_Man »

Hello,

I am throughly enjoying my Mint 13 (older computer, works just fine so not looking to upgrade in the near future) but have noticed an issue. My Software Manager has issues installing programs. I can navigate in the program and click the install button, it starts the download and automatically aborts at around 15 or 16% depending on where you look. Now sometimes it installs the package (gparted) but not for others (wine – the program I was gunning for).

Want to know if this is isolated or if others are having this issue as well. I did some checking through the archives and did not see anything relevant.

My current Version of Mint is 13 Maya (Linux Kernel 3.2.0-23 Generic [i686]) and the Software Manager is mintInstall 7.3.9.

Let me know what you all think and if I goofed and there is a solution in the archives.

MFM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Software Management not downloading packages (Mint 13)

Post by richyrich »

The Medibuntu repositories have been taken down, you will need to remove them from your software sources lists.
Minty_Fresh_Man

richyrich wrote:The Medibuntu repositories have been taken down, you will need to remove them from your software sources lists.
That has already been done, I had a previous issue with Update Manager that i had resolved.

Do you know of any alternatives for Mint 13 or is it essentially a dead in the water in terms of its repositories?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you try to use synaptic?
Minty_Fresh_Man

Cosmo. wrote:Did you try to use synaptic?
I attempted to install wine via synaptic and got the following error (It asked me if I wanted to continue and I aborted the downloads):

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 1_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 1_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The questioned file is indeed no more current, it has been replaced a few days ago by a newer version.

Try to refresh synaptic. If this does not help, try to set another server in the package sources.
Minty_Fresh_Man

Cosmo. wrote:The questioned file is indeed no more current, it has been replaced a few days ago by a newer version.

Try to refresh synaptic. If this does not help, try to set another server in the package sources.
Done and the install was completed. Thanks for the assistance!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am glad it worked.

Out of interest: Which step did it for you, refreshing synaptic or changing the server?
Minty_Fresh_Man

Refreshing the synaptic did the trick.
nzlemming

Post by nzlemming »

Hi, total noob here. Using Maya, because my oldish laptop wouldn't install Rebecca. I have the same problem with wine (and some other packages) but I've found something else odd. Prior to removing medibuntu from the update manager sources, I would get no response. After, I got it to the 16% point and then would stop. I closed the Software Manager, thinking that would cancel the install. I tried to start Synaptic as the OP was advised but it failed to open as it could not get a lock, which I assumed must be something residual from the Software Manager. When I opened that again, the status for wine was at 84%. So, I thought, it is working after all, and went off to install a couple of minor packages. Software Manager now reports 3 actions under way: wine at 76%, and the other two at zero "waiting". I clicked on the status bar by accident and found the Active Tasks screen which says "Installing wine Waiting for config file prompt". I found Wine as a new menu item and opened Configure Wine, applied the settings and closed it, but Software Manager is still stuck at waiting for config file prompt. Any ideas?

TIA

System: Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: TOSHIBA Satellite L500 version: PSLS6A-00X013
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: NSWAA version: 1.00 Bios: TOSHIBA version: 1.90 date: 09/08/10
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
nzlemming

Post by nzlemming »

Further to my last, I've investigated further and it seems that rebooting may be the answer. I'm copying a small horde of files from my NAS to C: so I'll wait till that's finished.
nzlemming

Post by nzlemming »

nzlemming wrote:Further to my last, I've investigated further and it seems that rebooting may be the answer. I'm copying a small horde of files from my NAS to C: so I'll wait till that's finished.
And it has. Superb. Apologies for not reading further before I posted.

Return to “Software & Applications”