Flash being rejected

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zolar1

Flash being rejected

Post by zolar1 »

Go to pogo.com or some similar sites and try to play games (or whatever).

The site returns that you need to upgrade to newest adobe flash.

Of course adobe is not maintaining flash any more.

Perhaps there is a way to trick sites into thinking you have the latest flash version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Flash being rejected

Post by Buzzsaw »

I think your only option is to install Google Chrome/Chromium and use its built-in flash player.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You could also install Wine and Pipelight, which will allow you to use the latest Flash in other browsers.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

google chromium does not play latest flash in linux.

Haven't tried wine (whouldn't have to - sites should be backward compatable).

Opera in linux does not play the latest flash.

Seems palms are getting greased between sites, microcrap, and Adobe....
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

jimallyn wrote:You could also install Wine and Pipelight, which will allow you to use the latest Flash in other browsers.

Pipelight is not in the software manager list.

Running a VM on their machine is out of the question. 1Ghz dual core cpu is far too slow for comfort to run one. (note: so far you need about a core i5 or similar to have comfy VM's to play with).

Remember, the developers warn against installing software outside the approved and official sources.

I wish I had a core i7
I wish I had a core i7
I wish I had a core i7
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

zolar1 wrote:Pipelight is not in the software manager list.
Follow the instructions for Ubuntu:

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
konrad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by konrad »

zolar1 wrote:google chromium does not play latest flash in linux.
Chromium does play flash animations just fine but not 'out of the box'. You have to install flash plugin first.

In terminal:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

konrad wrote:
zolar1 wrote:google chromium does not play latest flash in linux.
Chromium does play flash animations just fine but not 'out of the box'. You have to install flash plugin first.

In terminal:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
Like I said, google chromium does not play flash. You have to install an extra plugin manually.

I do not want to use chromium.
I prefer Opera then Firefox.

Got a reasonable cure for flash on those?

Also, if pepperflashplugin works, then why isn't it included in the iso and repo?

All linux developers warn against installing things that are not provided by them initially.

I will at least try it (on someone ELSE'S computer)....
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

It makes one wonder why there isn't some sort of click to install icon on the desktop for all the nonfree junk.

Open a checkbox in a nice GUI with the item, what it is supposed to do, etc so people don't have to guess as to what it is and what it does and what to expect.

Only some sites reject linux flash. One person said it might be the 3-D flash.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Also, if pepperflashplugin works, then why isn't it included in the iso and repo?
If it can be installed using 'sudo apt-get install' then it is in the repositories. It isn't on the ISO image because it only works in Chromium, and Chromium is not on the ISO image.

The reason Flash can be a problem in Linux is because it's an old out-of-date version. This is because Adobe stopped developing the Linux version a while ago, and are gradually 'phasing out' Flash completely. The Windows and Mac versions will be abandoned eventually aswell. They think that HTML5 will replace Flash.

If you need the latest Flash player, then your only options are using Windows, using Mac, or using Google browsers in Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”