XP Wireless connection in Virtualbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nobugs

XP Wireless connection in Virtualbox

Post by nobugs »

Hello everyone,
Have Mint 13 running fantastically from a 32GB USB stick as my main OS. Installed Virtualbox 4.3.10 and installed XP as a guest system. Both systems run fine, except I cannot setup a wireless connection in XP.

Mint 13 just lists and connects to my Netgear Modem/Router after entering my password, but XP can't see it at all.

In XP there is a Wireless Network Setup icon in Control Panel, but working through that asks me for an SSID and encrypton and then suggests making a usb or CD setup disk to connect subsequent computers, which is not what I want. In Network Connections, there is just one item "Lan or High Speed Internet" and it shows as connected with my AMD PCnet family PCI Ethernet Ad card. This is where I expect to see the Wireless item.

I have a netbook with XP installed and it lists my connection, I punch in my password and it's connected. In the virtual machine I cannot setup a new wireless connection. Maybe I'm too rusty having used Linux forever. Could anyone suggest a fix or advise what dumb thing I'm doing incorrectly. This is mainly a win problem, but hopefully someone will enlighten me. Thanks and Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: XP Wireless connection in Virtualbox

Post by Kalyk »

When XP is running inside Virtualbox it won't have a wireless connection.
Because of the virtualization XP will see the connection as just wired.
It then shares whatever connection the computer running Virtualbox has.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hi,
Didn't realise that, Kalyk, thanks! Just to clear my misunderstanding, does that mean XP sees the linux host as a wired connection to it and therefore, as linux mint is connected wirelessly to my modem, XP should use that wireless connection as well. I think this is what you're saying.

If correct, there must be something I'm not doing to enable the connection, either in virtualbox, XP or Mint, or is it such that OS's in virtualbox never have a web connection.

In the XP network settings, I see a Lan or High-Speed Internet, Local Area Connection and it says connected and firewalled to my ethernet card. This is, I believe, the connection you referred to, i.e. a wired connection to the host. So what is missing to force XP to share the wireless host connection. Does this make sense?

Can you add any further info to assist.
Cheers! :)
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hello Kalyk,

Ignore my previous post. Have figured it out. :D :D

In virtualbox ->machine->settings->network. Selected Bridged adapter in the "Attached to:" box. In the "Name" box selected wlan0. Rebooted.

Now have a connection to the net and Internet Explorer works fine. Note, there is no icon on the task bar to indicate an Internet connection (two monitors), so I'm assuming that the connection is severed when XP is closed and both OS's when Mint is turned off. Now to install Firefox!

Not sure if what I've done is correct, but it's working fine. If you have any suggestions, please reply back. Thanks for your interest.
Cheers!
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Kalyk wrote:When XP is running inside Virtualbox it won't have a wireless connection.
Because of the virtualization XP will see the connection as just wired.
It then shares whatever connection the computer running Virtualbox has.
Another question if I may! When memory is allocated to the guest OS in the virtual machine, is that memory released back to the Host machine once the guest OS is shut down. So if I have 4GB in the computer and I allocated say 1GB to the virtual leaving 3GB for the host. On shutdown is there still 4GB or 3GB available. My question is prompted by slowness of the virtual XP os in the Mint host. I've allocated 384MB of memory to XP, but it is sometimes very laggy and I'm reluctant to allocated any more, in case it becomes trapped and is no longer available to my main Mint13 OS. Is 384MB too little for XP. Tks!
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I would give XP at least 512 and rather 1Gb.
This memory will be released once the VM is stopped, though perhaps you also have to stop Virtualbox too.
There are a few ways to check this, one is to do inside the terminal

Code: Select all

There you can see all that uses memory.
Exit top by pressing q
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Thanks Kalyk, :D
Yep, 512 is better. BTW, XP runs like a charm in Virtualbox. I did mess up though, by installing AVG free antivirus. Unfortunately I picked the wrong one to install. It came with a lot of advertising and in typical win fashion has installed a lot of files, which are almost impossible to remove. The remove program would not uninstall AVG, as it seems Explorer has a grip on them. Never mind though, I only need XP for 1 program which is not available in linux. I'm pretty chuffed though. Two OS's running seemlessly!
Cheers and regards!

Return to “Software & Applications”