Firefox Missing Text In Some Sites After Cleaning

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Firefox Missing Text In Some Sites After Cleaning

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

If this isn't posted the right thread, my apologies.

I have an odd situation. I am running Firefox 15 in Linux Mint 14, and after a Bleach Bit cleaning, discovered that some sites such as MozilliaZine, Yahoo Mail, NASA-TV, Foxnews and PayPal are missing most of the text/fonts on their pages except in images, otherwise rendering nearly blank pages. The same thing also occurs with SeaMonkey. I re-installed Firefox with older versions down to 13.1 and there's no change. Outside of missing page font issue, Firefox and SeaMonkey appears to be running normally. Chrome and Opera and Epiphany are totally unaffected. I need to know what files especially used by FF & SM that would cause this condition in certain sites when missing/misplaced or permissions altered by Bleach Bit or accident so I can somehow replace them so I can keep using FF.

Any assist would be highly appreciated.

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Firefox Missing Text In Some Sites After Cleaning

Post by zerozero »

Jim,
does this mean that i can now delete the other (identical) topic you have/had?
please don't double-post, if you feel that a question is not answered, see the forum rules for bumping the topic.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

zerozero wrote:Jim,
does this mean that i can now delete the other (identical) topic you have/had?
please don't double-post, if you feel that a question is not answered, see the forum rules for bumping the topic.
Sorry for that! I didn't think that I was double posting since this was a much more investigated and expanded follow-up by myself and no answer from the still stymied Mozilla forums. Apologies and will see about deleting last post.

Jim in NYC
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Discovered the problem and how it can be misinterpreted big time! While adding fonts to Firefox prior the BleachBit cleaning -- which hadn't caused any problems before hence why I was so puzzled -- instead of adding them to /jimwg/.fonts they inadvertently went into /usr/share/fonts. Removing them all fixed the problem! I'm bemused why adding fonts to a folder would cripple views on some web pages, but so it seems! I also discovered that removing the four folders from /usr/share/fonts kills your system fonts! Live and learn! Thanks all for the assist!

Jim in Queens
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

I had the same problem - except that I didn't do any cleaning. I copied a folder of WinXP fonts into /usr/share/fonts. My mistake was copying a folder of Win8 fonts into /usr/share/fonts besides that. Some of the fonts were the same in folders - which made them not unique. The system might become confused. Besides, in my case Win8 fonts had permissions 100600, which made them unusable. After deleting Win8 folder Firefox started showing texts!
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling

Return to “Software & Applications”