How to install Lisa on GPT with Windows 7?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Robula

How to install Lisa on GPT with Windows 7?

Post by Robula »

Hi guys, I've just come to install the latest version of Mint on my Toshiba Portege Laptop. Currently it's running Windows 7 although it has run Mint and OpenSUSE in the past without issues.

I've repartitioned my HDD to give space for Mint to be installed however the Mint Installer cannot see any of my existing partitions and is displaying the whole drive as free space. This is absolutely not the case.

Why is it doing this and how can I get around it so I may be able to install Lisa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Lisa Fresh Install - sda1 appears empty!?

Post by xenopeek »

Some problem here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91715

Could you, from the Live DVD, run the application GParted? Please take a screenshot of that and share it here. If these three partitions are seen in GParted, we can guide your through doing the partitioning for Linux with GParted. After that is done, hopefully in the installer these partitions will then be selectable for installation.
Robula

Post by Robula »

Thanks Vincent, I'm at work for a few hours but I'll post a screenshot as soon as I can. :)
Robula

Post by Robula »

As requested, a screenshot from GParted... Looks like I'm out of luck, does this mean it's back to dual booting Win7 and SUSE? :(

Thanks again for your help. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, I see your disk is using GPT, or GUID Partition Table. That isn't supported in the installer yet.

This topic has some suggestions to get the installation done with GPT: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=90406

I haven't found a ready tutorial on this yet. To get more help, I suggest to change the subject of your first post in this topic (click the edit button in its top right). Change it to something like "How to install Lisa on GPT with Windows 7?"
Robula

Re: How to install Lisa on GPT with Windows 7?

Post by Robula »

This is still unresolved. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

A lot of information about GPT and the tools on Linux for it: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/index.html
mads

Post by mads »

Robula wrote:This is still unresolved. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. :)
SOLVED !!!! linux mint 12 grub doesnt detect win7
In short:
The issue is caused by using RAID, and then switching to AHCI or IDE mode.
Resolution is given by 'darkod' here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”