DiskUtility:Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

DiskUtility:Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!

Post by jazz.h »

Ok. It seems like a problem.
On my dualboot Acer 722 after installation of Mint 12 64bit, I noticed this warning in DiskUtility.
Apparently my wd scorpio blue is advanced format type 4096 kbytes physical sector size.
I installed WD Align by Acronis cause it can align the partitions without data loss, but it says everything is OK when running from windows.
Should I be worried or not, cause it's just extended partition in stake.
I didn't notice any slowdown in Mint though, nor some malfunctions in everyday work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: DiskUtility:Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!

Post by remoulder »

Have a read through http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1635018 amongst others.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: DiskUtility:Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!

Post by jazz.h »

Yes, very useful, indeed, especially this:
You do not need to adjust the Linux partitions (/dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7), nor do you need to adjust the extended partition (/dev/sda3), despite the fact that its starting sector number is not a multiple of 8; the extended partition is just a placeholder for the logical partitions it contains, and it's their alignment that's important, not the extended partition itself.
So I'll wait for Mint 12 KDE, if I like it, I'll reformat and install KDE.

Ignoring, for now, since there's no easy realign method so far (meaning non destructive).

Return to “Installation & Boot”