Which device to install the bootloader should I choose?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KeplerBR

Which device to install the bootloader should I choose?

Post by KeplerBR »

I have an Acer Aspire E1 with Windows 8.1 installed from factory.
I need to install in dualboot the Linux Mint without formatting the computer and safely.

I kept the UEFI and deactivated the secureboot, and liberated 80GB from Windows.

However, I am in doubt on one of the installation steps. Which device should I install the bootloader?
The options are:
  • /dev/sda
  • /dev/sda1
  • /dev/sda2
  • /dev/sda3
  • /dev/sda4
  • /dev/sda5
In the table above, have the following:
  • /dev/sda1 | ntfs | 419mb total | 288MB used
  • /dev/sda2 | efi | 314mb total | 52mb used.
  • Windows is in / dev/sda4
  • Free space (not inform the sda), is where I want to install Mint
  • /dev/sda5 | 18.533mb total | 15.586mb used
  • Free Space | 0mb total
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Which device to install the bootloader should I choose?

Post by Hendrick »

When you're on an EFI system, I think it's best to install GRUB in the EFI boot partition (sda2).
You could also install GRUB someplace else and use a program like EasyBCD to let the Windows
bootmanager do the work. This would not be my recommendation.
Mint Xfce - Mint Cinnamon - Win11 Pro
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello KeplerBR - Grub should be installed to /dev/sda2, the EFI partition. This is the same partition that Windows uses for boot.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Normally, if you boot the installer in EFI mode, it should detect the EFI partition, and even if you set it to install at /dev/sda, it will install to the right partition.
KeplerBR

Post by KeplerBR »

The Mint successfully installed! Thank you very much!

Follow what you talk about, I created the partitions for Mint (/, /home and swap) and let the installer work.

I was afraid of having caused "something wrong" that could break the Windows, but everything went without a problem.
Additionally, I needed to configure the boot order of computer, because Windows was running before of GRUB. A few clicks and now everything works perfectly - it might be good Mint installer do this automatically since it may confuse some users.

Return to “Installation & Boot”