Mint 16 with Radeon HD 8240 does not boot X11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hemanti
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 16 with Radeon HD 8240 does not boot X11

Post by Hemanti »

Hej hej!

I'm using a lenovo Thinkpad edge E145 with a Radeon HD 8240. I've installed Mint 16 today and am experiencing some problems with the x server. I had to boot the live system in compatibility mode and to boot the installed system, I have to boot in safety mode, as well.

Right now, I have the standard xorg driver installed. When I install fglrx or fglrx-updates using the driver manager, I can't boot even in safety mode. Another way that boting works is adding the kernel options "nomodeset" and "xforcevesa", but that is of course not want I want.

Can you help me? I'll provide you with any log files or command output, that you might need. Just let me know.

Best regards,
Henrik
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hemanti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 16 with Radeon HD 8240 does not boot X11

Post by Hemanti »

My xorg log when booting without kernel options (boot failure): http://pastebin.com/4wFFWLcs
herby68

Post by herby68 »

I have the same problem
I am a linux noob and bought my edge 145 for switching from windows 7 to linux mint ...made an usb stick with linux mint petra cinnamon 64 bit, but after booting comes the message xserver failed .....
is there an other working linux distri that I can use???

thx

Herby
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

fglrx of repositories is old.

Try to download a AMD Catalyst from AMD site.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Boot to the recovery mode and drop to the root prompt and run commands

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
Xorg -configure
cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot
herby68

Post by herby68 »

jungle_boy wrote:fglrx of repositories is old.

Try to download a AMD Catalyst from AMD site.
hey friends

thx for your support

please notice I am linux noob
can only boot from the stick its not a live distri......
how to boot in another mode with the stick ???

thx

herby
Hemanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hemanti »

Hey,

Thank you already for your support! I'm on vacation right now, but I'm gonna try your proposals when I get back in a few weeks and post an update.

Hemanti
Hemanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hemanti »

I've promised you an update, so the current status is, that I've successfully installed the Catalyst drivers from the ati webpage and now the system boots up. Just cinnamon is in 2D mode and fglrxinfo says that there is no 3D rendering available. I have currently no more time to invest into this, so I'm gonna wait for the next Mint release to see if it's solved by then. Thanks for your support!

Hemanti
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Yes, LM16 doesn't work well with AMD Catalyst; is the result that everybody had.

Only LM14 works well with AMD Catalyst (see my signature); brightness keys work well, and I can switch between both graphic cards (discrete and integrated).
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

jungle_boy wrote:Only LM14 works well with AMD Catalyst ...
Actually, LM15 works well with Catalyst 13.12 and AMD HD 8xxx cards. I recently acquired one and installing the fglrx drivers was a simple process of executing the ".run" file downloaded from the AMD website.

But, I have found LM16 to be a major problem in this respect.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Sorry my mistake Mark; I didn't try LM15; thanks by the correction.
LM 21 Cinnamon
Cfossy77

Post by Cfossy77 »

I also had this same problem whereby the fglrx drivers would not work in Linux Mint 16. I downloaded the Beta drivers from ATI's website (AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 LINUX Beta Driver) and ran them after unzipping them and changing the permissions so that it was executable, then installed them with the advice from the following URL: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD, by using code: sudo aticonfig --initial. I used the properties from the amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run, changed the permission to allow it to be executable. Then I rebooted and it worked, as I no longer had to use the Running in Software Rendering Mode.I initially had to use this mode as I had to use recovery, connect network, then fix broken packages, then resume boot. Hopefully this will help others to get their laptops running as well as desktops.
Cfossy77

Post by Cfossy77 »

Cfossy77 wrote:I also had this same problem whereby the fglrx drivers would not work in Linux Mint 16. I downloaded the Beta drivers from ATI's website (AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 LINUX Beta Driver) and ran them after unzipping them and changing the permissions so that it was executable, then installed them with the advice from the following URL: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD, by using code: sudo aticonfig --initial. I used the properties from the amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run, changed the permission to allow it to be executable. Then I rebooted and it worked, as I no longer had to use the Running in Software Rendering Mode.I initially had to use this mode as I had to use recovery, connect network, then fix broken packages, then resume boot. Hopefully this will help others to get their laptops running as well as desktops.
I had to install flgrx again on a HP Pavillion, via command line (CLI), I used apt-get install fglrx, then after installing used the code : sudo aticonfig --initial. Then rebooted, and suddenly a GUI was hereby available.
BillPosters

Post by BillPosters »

Hello, I'm having similar problems as described in this thread. My lenovo E145 is using Radeon HD 8330 graphics, I downloaded the ISO for Linux mint 16 (Ubuntu, xfce variant) and put it onto a usb flash drive. When I boot into the flash drive I get the errors about xserver failing (I don't remember off the top of my head exactly what it said but I find out again if it's needed). The advice here about installing AMD catalyst seems sound but I wasn't sure it was applicable to my own problem, as I haven't installed linux mint onto my hard drive yet and I don't think I can modify the drivers on the live cd I'm running off my flash drive. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed at this stage? I'm assuming it might involve installing lm16 via the terminal, which I'm not looking forward to :(

Thanks,
Bill

EDIT: Turns out booting into recovery mode allows me to get to the desktop successfully and install the OS
Last edited by BillPosters on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

I don't think I can modify the drivers on the live cd I'm running off my flash drive.
That's correct -- any installation you do goes only into the filesystem contained in RAM, and once you restart, everything is lost.

There are ways to make a persistent USB boot device -- but it's a LOT of work, and I've not done it myself, so I can't provide any tips.
Conni

Post by Conni »

Hemanti wrote: I'm using a lenovo Thinkpad edge E145
I bought this laptop too four weeks ago without an installed operating system. I failed installing Linux Mint Debian, Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 16 (I did not try recovery mode though like Bill Posters did successfully, but Mint 16 is not a LTS version, therefore I was not really interested.). I always ended up in a shell without having a clue how to proceed.

Finally I managed to install the beta version of Lubuntu 14.04 without any problems. Later I installed Debian Wheezy 7.5. Today I replaced Lubuntu with SolydX successfully. Therefore I am pretty optimistic, that the installation is gonna work smoothly with the upcoming (Ubuntu 14.04-based) Mint 17 as well as with the next Update Pack of Linux Mint Debian.

I can recommend it definitely. The CPU is not extremely fast, but the fabrication is rock-solid, the display is excellent and the power consumption is low ( I measured 17 Watt idle and 28 Watt under load).

Return to “Installation & Boot”