Can only run in compatibility mode from DVD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neuraleanus

Can only run in compatibility mode from DVD

Post by Neuraleanus »

I have been attempting to install Linux Mint 13, Mate edition, onto a new machine using a Asus F1A55-M LE mother board and the only way that I can get Linux Mint to run is in compatibility mode from the install DVD, normal mode presents a black screen followed by the monitor output getting turned off. If I then install Linux Mint, the install goes ok, but upon reboot I'm back to what I saw before when attempting to run Linux Mint from the DVD normally, a black screen followed by the monitor shutting down. Is this an issue with the UEFI bios? I do not see the grub menu.

Lee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can only run in compatibility mode from DVD

Post by caf4926 »

If you only have Mint installed and no other OS or Distro, I don't think you see a menu unless you press SHIFT (I think) at boot.

Try adding nomodeset to the boot argument
Do you need to install a graphics driver? What graphics card/chip is it?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Neuraleanus

Post by Neuraleanus »

caf4926 wrote:If you only have Mint installed and no other OS or Distro, I don't think you see a menu unless you press SHIFT (I think) at boot.

Try adding nomodeset to the boot argument
Do you need to install a graphics driver? What graphics card/chip is it?
I'm using the on-board graphics: "AMD Radeon HD 6000" and there is no other OS installed, I'm attempting a clean install.

Lee
Neuraleanus

Post by Neuraleanus »

Ok, partial success. Running from the install DVD, I press enter and then tab and replace quiet splash with nomodeset and Linux Mint starts up and I can install. However, upon restarting the machine I still get the black screen followed by the monitor shutting down. I tried editing /etc/default/grub, replacing quiet splash with nomodeset and I uncomented the console entry, but the effect is the same as before. I also tried pressing both the shift key and F6, but I do not see the grub menu.

Lee
Neuraleanus

Post by Neuraleanus »

I got Linux to run. Running from the DVD, I installed boot-repair:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

and clicked on Recommended Repair. :D

Lee

Return to “Installation & Boot”