Remote Desktop (Vino) startup on Mint 13 Mate 32bit [Fixed]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fragmint

Remote Desktop (Vino) startup on Mint 13 Mate 32bit [Fixed]

Post by Fragmint »

Nice work on the LM13 releases.
Just came across an issue using Remote Desktop (Vino) in LM13 MATE 32bit desktop. It appears that Vino may not be starting at boot up.

Remote Desktop is shown under the "Startup Applications" as enabled by default, and I have also setup the "vino-preferences" dialog. However, I can not remotely connect using an XP box running TightVNC viewer (on same LAN). After using the terminal to enable Vino: "/usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable", everything then connects and I can remotely administer the LM13 desktop perfectly. Is there something I have overlooked? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragmint

Re: Remote Desktop (Vino) startup on Mint 13 Mate 32bit [Fix

Post by Fragmint »

Update 052712:

Came across a fix that starts the Vino server at boot to correct this issue on my system.

1. In terminal "vino-preferences" (Configured as user worked. Configured as SU did NOT work.)
2. Did not set the auto config UPnP for the router. YMMV.
3. Open the "Startup Applications" and "Add" a new startup. Assign a name (say "Desktop Sharing 2"). Assign the command "/usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable"
(Yes, this is a duplicate of the original "Desktop Sharing")
4. Reboot (Note that the the original "Desktop Sharing" startup is no longer listed under the "Startup Applications", but the new startup created remains)

Vino now runs perfect using TightVNC viewer on an XP box.

Hopefully this fix can be addressed in future updates. Reference link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=85215&f=195
faxedhead

Post by faxedhead »

Thanks, that workaround worked for me :D
clint74

Post by clint74 »

This fix worked on Linux Mint 64 Mate 15. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”