Mint 13 Live CD/DVD hangs during boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 13 Live CD/DVD hangs during boot

Post by floweringmind »

I don't know if anyone else is having this happen, but when the CD/DVD boots it stops access the CD/DVD and I never get to the desktop. I can't figure out how to get rid of the display screen to see what command it is failing on booting. I notice that this happening with the Ubuntu edition and the Mint Debian version. I am guessing that this is a hardware issue with a bug in the Kernel. What I am wondering is if anyone has figured out a work around?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 13 Live CD/DVD hangs during boot

Post by remoulder »

This is likely to be a hardware issue on your machine, otherwise see section Bug reports
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind »

Thanks for not even reading my post and just blaming my hardware. Your response is totally unhelpful. Since I can install previous versions of Mint Linux you are totally wrong.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

floweringmind wrote:just blaming my hardware
I'm sorry but if your machine does not work with several distros as you say, then there is an issue specific to your hardware or it's configuration, I didn't say your hardware was faulty. It 'may' be a kernel or driver issue, but in either case it still needs to be bug reported, that's what an RC is for!
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind »

I apologize for venting. You were actually right, their is a kernal bug.

Ubuntu has a fix but only after the system is installed.

This is/was a bug in 3.2 and 3.3 kernels that produced a crash as soon as the nouveau driver attempted to load. This also meant 12.04 LiveCD's don't boot on machines with the affected Nvidia cards.
fantab

Post by fantab »

floweringmind wrote:I don't know if anyone else is having this happen, but when the CD/DVD boots it stops access the CD/DVD and I never get to the desktop. I can't figure out how to get rid of the display screen to see what command it is failing on booting. I notice that this happening with the Ubuntu edition and the Mint Debian version. I am guessing that this is a hardware issue with a bug in the Kernel. What I am wondering is if anyone has figured out a work around?
I too have the same issue with RC 13. However, I am trying to install Maya RC 32bit on Intel on Board Graphics GMA950. The error I get is:

Code: Select all

Failed to start X server(your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
From /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that there are no EE or errors but a few WW/warnings like:

[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic : does not exist
[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi  : does not exist
[WW] /var/lib/deforma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType  : does not exist
Also,
[WW] Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[WW] Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
Then the log goes on to say:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is not configured correctly; restart MDM after you have configured xorg.conf. And the same goes for
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
As we can see its clearly a Graphics issue. And I don't think there is /etc/X11/xorg.conf on Ubuntu Systems. So I wonder what is going on!!!
I tried "nomodeset" but it did not help. I will try "Kernel Mode Setting" or KMS. I will try this later and let the forum know what happens.

Meanwhile if someone can help... help will be greatly appreciated.
Cousin Itt

Post by Cousin Itt »

I am having the exact same problem with the live DVD for Mint 13 never loading the desktop and leaving me with a black screen. It works on another computer but not my desktop that has Mint 9 on it. I have tried 32 bit with Mate, and 32 and 64 bit with Cinnamon and none will load the desktop.
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stanley82 »

I usually have this problem with a new Ubuntu or Mint distro. I have a Nvidia vidio card and I need to enter "NOMODESET" to get it working. Then enter nomodeset into one of the grub files once I get it going. On Mint 13 cinnamon I get a Mint logo and a timeout and tab does not get me into anything that I can edit the boot option. There must be a fix for this. There is on 9, 11 and 12. Regards Ian.
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind »

The is a kernel bug, I have the same problem with Ubuntu 12.04. I installed Mageia 2 which uses kernel 3.3.6 so we need a version of mint 13 upgraded to that kernel to be installed. I am trying to do just that and when I do I will share it with the community.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

(shaking head in wonder)

I can't believe that NOT A SINGLE PERSON tried the Mint 13 live CD/DVD on a system with an NVIDIA card prior to release?

You'd think that trying a RC with different brands of video cards would be test #2, right after the "Verify optical disk does not burst into roaring flames after being recorded" test - as a part of the essential media bootability tests. Before going on to anything else. . . . .

My CD is a Mint 13 / Cinnamon, 64 bit, download. MD5 checksum matched to a hair after download, and the post-record media verification test also passed with flying colors.

To answer a couple of other questions:
To get to some kind of a menu during startup, hit the enter key during the auto-start countdown.

Once you get to the startup menu, make sure something is selected, and then hit the TAB key to change the boot parameters.

To actually see what is going on, backspace over the last part of the boot command-line where it says " quiet, splash -- " Then hit the enter key.

In my case, when I do this, the startup stuff scrolls past at an incredible speed and it usually stops in one of two places - just after enumerating USB devices, or after enumerating SATA devices. I tried this in "regular," "compatibility," and "integrity check" modes.

Since this beastie doesn't get as far as actually doing something useful, there are really no logs I can capture for you.

This is frustrating!

I read about this distro in issue 162 of Linux Format - where it beat out all comers in their annual Distribution Cage Match - and was the only one standing at the end.

I (used to) really like Ubuntu, but they seem to have adopted a "change for change's sake" policy over there, regardless of what the user may think. (i.e. If I wanted a Mac, I would have bought a Mac.) So, I read that Linux Mint ". . . is more about stability than cutting edge features." and I thought "Now THIS is the distribution for me!", so I downloaded it and tried to get it running with the idea that I'd swap Mint in to replace the Ubuntu 12.045 instal that's running on my 10T file server after I had played with it a while. Maybe ran a few installs and tried to set up a "fake-RAID" disk set to see how things go.

So, what this is telling me is that in order to use this distribution, I have to swap out my video card, do an install, update the kernel, and then re-swap video cards again? Sheesh! Even Micro-Soft-In-The-Brain isn't that bad!

</rant>

So. . . Will there be updated download ISO's? Any idea when?

Thanks!

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “Installation & Boot”