[Solved] Blank black screen with crooked curser

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newbiegettingthehang

[Solved] Blank black screen with crooked curser

Post by newbiegettingthehang »

Okay, I'm coming from XP to linux for the first time. I'm at the boiling point right now, I've about ready to turn my back on linux, I've spent two weeks trying to boot linux on my computer, but keep getting that stupid blank black screen everytime. Yes, I've googled "blank black screen" and looked over all the topics and none of them worked for me. I thought this page :http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842 was the closest, but the result was the same. If I can't get linux to boot on my old 12 year old Vaio Sony Computer than I'm just going to bite the bullet and get Windows 8, this is ridiculous I'm no computer geek, I'm tired of fooling around with this. I've already wasted two weeks researching and still getting nowhere. No wonder people coming from windows don't wan't to fool around with linux damn.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: Blank black screen with crooked curser

Post by gold_finger »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:12 year old Vaio Sony Computer
If you can provide more details about the specs of machine, that might give us a better idea of what may be the problem.
-- Exact model number of computer?
-- Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. graphics (if you know)?
-- How much RAM does it have?
-- Which version of Mint were you trying to install? (Version # and which desktop -- Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE?)

Just going by the fact that it is 12 years old, my guess is that you may be trying to install Cinnamon version, which is likely not going to work because it requires more resources/processing power than older computer probably has. Your best bet would be to try Mint 13 in either the Xfce or Mate desktop versions. I have installed Xfce version to several computers in that age range and it works fine. One of them only has 512MB of RAM and it works pretty well also. Here are the links for each of those versions:

Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit

Mint 13 Mate 32-bit

Boot with one of those two versions. If you get it booted without any problems, test it out for a while using the live DVD before installing. If you have installation questions, ask them before you attempt the installation. Generally speaking, installing will be easiest if you have empty, unformatted and unpartitioned space on the hard drive for Mint to be installed to. Windows typically has partitions that span the whole disk and one of those partitions usually needs to be shrunk down before installing to make room for Mint. We can give you guidance on doing that if you need it.

If you already have the room prepared for the Mint installation and want to go ahead with it, see this page for a couple of tips pertaining to the Mint 13 version for installing and updating: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p843045.
newbiegettingthehang

Okay, here's the specs:
The Machine:PCV-RX860 Sony Vaio
Video:SIS651 Integrated Graphics with Real256 which supports VGA output
RAM:1.46Gig
Was trying to install LinuxMint-16 Cinnamon DVD-32 bit
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

There is a bug that affects that older SiS graphics card on versions after Mint 13 according to this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1066464. (Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 - which the bug report says is the last version that should work with the video card.)

Also, like I already said, it's highly unlikely that Cinnamon will run properly. You can try if you like, but don't be surprised if it either won't run at all or performs horribly. Best bet would be to choose either of the two versions noted above. Either one should be fine on that machine.
newbiegettingthehang

Cool,Thanks I finally got it working after two weeks of agony. I used the first link btw. Is the second one the same? I'm aware of "WINE", but I would like to install another duel os. I use FDISK to partition will installing the other OS wipe out linux? Do I need to get all the updates? Do I need to install video or sound card drivers?
Thank you.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Cool,Thanks I finally got it working after two weeks of agony. I used the first link btw. Is the second one the same?
You need to try being as specific as possible in your posts, that eliminates us having to guess at what you mean. I don't know whether you are just saying that you are now able to finally boot the Mint DVD or if you actually installed it? Also not sure which link you're referring to. The two links to two versions of Mint 13? The link with Mint 13 installation tips? The link that basically confirmed that Mint 13 is the version that you needed to use because of the graphics card in your computer?

Let us know exactly what stage you are at.

Did you install Mint already? If so, which version did you install -- Xfce 13, or Mate 13? Also, is Windows XP still on the computer? Are you now duel-booting it with Mint?
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Do I need to get all the updates?
If you already installed Mint, then yes you should update the system. But do it after performing the 2nd tip on this link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p843045.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Do I need to install video or sound card drivers?
Probably not. If you are experiencing sound or video problems, then we can look into solutions; but if everything is working fine then the default drivers built into the kernel are all you need.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I'm aware of "WINE", but I would like to install another duel os.
Describe exactly what you are trying to accomplish and/or what other OS you are thinking of adding?

Would definitely recommend you not try adding another OS without assistance, unless you are already pretty familiar with partitioning. If you don't have a lot of experience partitioning drives to handle multiple OS's, you can easily wipe out things already there and/or damage ability to boot the others. Let us know what you have in mind -- we'll then ask you to post back with info from a few commands -- then we'll be able to offer advice based on the output of those commands.
newbiegettingthehang

Yes, I've already installed mint and it's working fine. I used xfce 13. The first problem I had is all I got was black screen, like you said maybe the bug that affects older SIS graphics i don't know. I really wanted linuxcinnamin 16 , but I guess it ain't happening. I burned the image to DVD and booted from the Dvd. Then I got the desktop with an icon that said install, I did. I then went to terminal emulator and posted the code from the link that fixes updates. When I am on the internet, I scroll down the screen and it looks a tad choppy. The video doesen't look that sharp either. The video doesen't move that smooth. No, I am not duel booting yet, but would like to. I know WINE can handle most windows applications, but I understand there are some it cannot. I want to duel boot Linux and XP, with linux using 90% of the hard drive and windows 10%. This I don't know what to do. I also have a usb stick formated in exFAT, is there a way to use it in Linux.
Thanks.
newbiegettingthehang

I forgot also what kind of Anti Virus protection do I need if any?
Thanks.
newbiegettingthehang

Why do I get an error message when I run Universal boot Installer in linux?
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Yes, I've already installed mint and it's working fine. I used xfce 13. The first problem I had is all I got was black screen
Since it sounds like you're booting into Mint and using it, I'm guessing you no longer have a problem with getting a black screen -- correct?
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:When I am on the internet, I scroll down the screen and it looks a tad choppy. The video doesen't look that sharp either. The video doesen't move that smooth.
When you were using Win XP on that computer, was the performance significantly better or about the same? With all of the flash content these days on the Internet, web pages generally hog up more resources than they used to. If you add the NoScript and AdBlock addons to Firefox that will probably help limit some of demands placed on the system while surfing the web and improve the performance. (They can make a big difference on older hardware.)
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I know WINE can handle most windows applications, but I understand there are some it cannot.
I'm not familiar with WINE, but there are many others who can answer questions for you when/if you start using it. You may also want to post questions about possible Linux alternatives for some of the Windows progams you might be planning to use in WINE. You may be surprised to find very good native Linux apps that accomplish the same tasks.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:No, I am not duel booting yet, but would like to. I want to duel boot Linux and XP, with linux using 90% of the hard drive and windows 10%. This I don't know what to do.
Windows will definitely wipe out the grub bootloader when you install it; but that is not too difficult to fix. It might decide to take over the whole drive and wipe out your Mint installation if you're not careful when installing it. (That happened to me a few months back when I was trying to restore Windows for someone on a system I had already put Mint on.) Therefore, I would recommend that you try installing Windows before you get too far with using and saving things to Mint -- just in case it gets accidentally wiped out, erasing all of your efforts.

Aside from that one time referenced above, I haven't really toyed with installing Windows in quite some time. So, I'd recommend you make a new post asking for advise about best way to do so and for any hints on potential problems. Other people will probably provide better answers than me about installing Win XP. Some questions to ask:
  • * Does Win XP need to be the first partition on the disk? I don't think that's a requirement for the newer Windows versions, but it might be for XP.
    * Should you create an NTFS partition for it ahead of time, or leave unformatted, unpartitioned, free space on the drive?
    * Will it want to use the whole drive, or will you be able to tell it to only install to a particular partition or to the free space?
Let people know the situation and that you have Mint 13 Xfce already installed. Open GParted (Menu -> System -> GParted) and take a screenshot of the drive partitions. Attach that to your post. If you have trouble doing that, post the pic to this site, then just post back here with the link to it.

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I forgot also what kind of Anti Virus protection do I need if any?
Don't really need any for Linux files, but if you plan on sharing files/emails with Windows you may want to scan them for viruses first. Use search engine listed below to find out programs to use for that. I haven't used any myself. If still not sure, ask about that in the Windows install post as well.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why do I get an error message when I run Universal boot Installer in linux?
What is Universal Boot Installer? (Provide link to it for us to look at.)
newbiegettingthehang

1.Yes, Thank you.
2.When I was using XP the scrolling was much smoother and the mouse controls felt more fluid. I notice my hands hurt after using the mouse. I already changed the mouse settings, but it still seems stiff. I downloaded and am using Chrome, but I will try firefox with your recommendations and let you know.
3.Yes, that's my problem I'm still learning the Linux equivalents and am only scratching the tip of the iceburg so to speak.
4.I appreciate the hints in this one and will definitely ask those question, but I cannot find GParted (Menu -> System -> GParted).
5.Ah, okay got it.
6.Here it is: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I cannot find GParted (Menu -> System -> GParted).
It must not be installed. You can install it using the Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager, or by using the terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gparted
It will show up in the Menu ready for use after installed. (No need to reboot computer.) Here's a tutorial explaining its use: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html.

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why do I get an error message when I run Universal boot Installer in linux?
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Here it is: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
What does the error message say? And does it seem to prevent the booting and use of a live USB? Or is it just a message that displays for a few seconds before booting continues and loads the USB properly?

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:When I was using XP the scrolling was much smoother and the mouse controls felt more fluid. I notice my hands hurt after using the mouse. I already changed the mouse settings, but it still seems stiff. I downloaded and am using Chrome, but I will try firefox with your recommendations and let you know.
It's possible/probable that the Windows driver for you graphics card just works better than the Linux generic driver for it. (I've read elsewhere that SiS graphics cards don't have very good support in Linux. How true that is, I don't know -- haven't installed to a system that uses one myself.) Plug your model into the search engine below and see if you can find any potential clues to improve performance.
newbiegettingthehang

When I put it in the terminal I get this, but it won't let me press ok. And an error has occured while loading archieve for the pendrive.

Package Configuration
Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer ├─────────────────┐
│ │
│ TrueType core fonts for the Web EULA

│ END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

│ IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement
│ ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a
│ single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software
│ accompanying this EULA, which includes computer software and may
│ include associated media, printed materials, and "on-line" or
│ electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT" or "SOFTWARE"). By
│ exercising your rights to make and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT,
│ you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to
│ the terms of this EULA, you may not use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

│ <Ok>

Archive: /home/pc/Desktop/UniversalUSBInstaller/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe
[/home/pc/Desktop/UniversalUSBInstaller/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/pc/Desktop/UniversalUSBInstaller/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe or
/home/pc/Desktop/UniversalUSBInstaller/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/pc/Desktop/UniversalUSBInstaller/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2.exe.ZIP, period.

gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Looks like that program is meant to be run from Windows to create a live Linux USB. You can't run Windows programs in Linux (except through emulators like WINE).

If you want to make a live Linux USB from within Mint, then you have to use a program meant to run on Linux for doing that. No problem -- here is the easiest solution.

* Open a terminal and enter this to install "Startup Disk Creator"

sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk
* When install is done, it will be located under: Menu -> System -> Startup Disk Creator

Download whatever Linux ISO you want to turn into a live USB. Plug in your blank, FAT32 formatted USB stick (2GB or larger). Then open Startup Disk Creator and direct it to use the downloaded ISO and pick the USB stick to install it on. If I remember right, there may be an option to create a persistence file also -- a special file that allows you to save changes and data to the USB for later reboots. Choose that if you want the ability to save things. The max size it will allow is 4GB for the persistence file and I normally max it out if the USB has the space for that. The process will take some time (15-30 minutes depending on your computer), so just relax until it finishes. When done you'll have a bootable USB.
newbiegettingthehang

I keep getting this screen:

Package configuration

┌────────────────┤ Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer ├─────────────────┐
│ │
│ TrueType core fonts for the Web EULA

│ END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

│ IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement
│ ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a
│ single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software
│ accompanying this EULA, which includes computer software and may
│ include associated media, printed materials, and "on-line" or
│ electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT" or "SOFTWARE"). By
│ exercising your rights to make and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT,
│ you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to
│ the terms of this EULA, you may not use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

│ <Ok>
│ │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

That looks like you installed the package for MS true-type fonts (or something like that). So I believe it's asking you to accept the "END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT". I think you need to use the <enter> or <tab> key to accept it or to highlight the "OK", then <enter>. I'm not sure. I ran into the same thing a few years back when I first started and was just as baffled as you. I can't remember what I eventually did to make it work, but think it was what I noted above.

If you that didn't work, then either uninstall the package "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" with

sudo apt-get remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Or, if you want to keep them, make a separate post requesting help installing those. Make the title something like "Need Help Installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer". That title will attract attention of people who use them and know the procedure. They won't even know you're posting about that under title of this thread.
newbiegettingthehang

I'm trying to do that but I get this:

pc@Sony ~ $ sudo apt-get remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer
[sudo] password for pc:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
pc@Sony ~ $
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

There can only be one program at a time trying to do package related operations. If you happen to have Synaptic Package Manager or the Software Center going at the same time you try that terminal command, that's probably causing the error. Otherwise ...

The stupid Updater must be checking for updates in the background. It's set to do that every 15 minutes, which is rediculous in my view. Open the Software Updater (sheild icon on the panel, or Menu -> System -> Update Manager) and change the preferences under "Edit" to check only once a day.

P.s. You can re-run the terminal command again once the offending other program is done doing its thing or closed out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”