[SOLVED]Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 Rosa - Live Loading Process

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dolly Day

[SOLVED]Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 Rosa - Live Loading Process

Post by Dolly Day »

To install Linux Mint 17.3 Live, do we need to format the blank DVD - RW disk first?

If we do, which option do we need to format the disk?

There are 4 AutoPlay options:

Burn Files to disc
Create Disc or Edit Image
Burn a DVD Video disc
Burn data to CD/DVD

When it reaches the stage of creating an ISO image on the blank disk, we had in mind to save the Linux Mint download to Drive E.

Preparing for this, I clicked on Drive E and am presented with these options.

Which one do we choose?:

Like a USB flash drive
Save, edit, and delete files on the disc anytime. The disc will work on computers running Windows XP or later. (Live File System)

With a CD/DVD player
Burn files in groups and individual files can't be edited or removed after burning. The disc will also work on most computers. (Mastered)

Despite the above descriptions, and reading the additional link "Which one should I choose?", we are still lost as to which option to choose, due to being complete novices of Linux and endless options to choose from.

Eventually, we'll be using Linux Mint as our only operating system, but for now we just wish to explore Linux Mint for surfing the web, without saving Linux files, to get used to how Linux works, but we're stuck how to get Linux up and running.

We use Windows 7.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Linux Mint Cinammon 17.3 Rosa - Installation Process

Post by richyrich »

You want to "Burn Image to Disk" , if you do not have that option, I think there is a free Windows program called ImageBurn that you can download/install.
You do not want to format the disk. The image burning process will do this on it's own to make it bootable.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

+1 to richyrich's comment but if you burn it to a usb drive it will load a lot faster. I do not wish to confuse the issue but wanted to add that. As far as the installation process goes let me say that there are multiple steps to go through. Here is a list. We are assuming that you have down loaded Linux Mint to your computer already.

Burn the file to disk.
Access BIOS and change boot sequence to boot the disk first.
Insert the disk and it will boot the Linux OS.
Follow the instructions.
When you see Linux Mint on your computer there will be a Disk icon on the desktop which must be selected to finish loading.Translation: Boot the live Mint DVD, and click on the "INSTALL MINT" icon on the desktop, to begin the installation. Follow the simple instructions and Mint will be installed.

If you have another computer, you can ask questions to this forum as you proceed. It is pretty easy but some of the instructions may require a little thought since you are newbies. For example, you will be asked weather to load along side the old OS or over top of it erasing all previous information. Personally I choose the latter but if you are unsure you should do some research regarding that before proceeding.

Good luck on your upgrade to Linux.
Last edited by Ozo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Ozo wrote:When you see Linux Mint on your computer there will be a Disk icon on the desktop which must be selected to finish loading.
As someone who has installed Linux Mint certainly more than 100 times, I am baffled by this statement. Please explain.
Are you talking about the Login ?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

austin.texas wrote:
Ozo wrote:When you see Linux Mint on your computer there will be a Disk icon on the desktop which must be selected to finish loading.
As someone who has installed Linux Mint certainly more than 100 times, I am baffled by this statement. Please explain.
I load from the Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon disk and it says I can experiment with the OS as I wish but that to finish the installation I must click on the silver disk icon which is on the desktop. I do that and it continues to load and after a while it is finished.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What happens when you click on the silver disk icon (the 'install' icon) is the actual installation. Everything before that is not part of the installation. Installation is not the same as loading. Let's please keep the terminology straight.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dolly Day

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 Rosa - Live Loading Process

Post by Dolly Day »

richyrich wrote:You want to "Burn Image to Disk" , if you do not have that option, I think there is a free Windows program called ImageBurn that you can download/install.
You do not want to format the disk. The image burning process will do this on it's own to make it bootable.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've just downloaded Img Burn but unfortunately can't find the option "Burn Image to Disk" within it.

All I can find are these two options. The others are creating an image file from a disc, file/folders, Verifying a disc and "Discovery".

Write image file to disc
Write files/folders to disc

Is it "Write image file to disc"?
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

Ozo wrote:+1 to richyrich's comment but if you burn it to a usb drive it will load a lot faster. I do not wish to confuse the issue but wanted to add that. As far as the installation process goes let me say that there are multiple steps to go through. Here is a list. We are assuming that you have down loaded Linux Mint to your computer already.

Burn the file to disk.
Access BIOS and change boot sequence to boot the disk first.
Insert the disk and it will boot the Linux OS.
Follow the instructions.
When you see Linux Mint on your computer there will be a Disk icon on the desktop which must be selected to finish loading.

If you have another computer, you can ask questions to this forum as you proceed. It is pretty easy but some of the instructions may require a little thought since you are newbies. For example, you will be asked weather to load along side the old OS or over top of it erasing all previous information. Personally I choose the latter but if you are unsure you should do some research regarding that before proceeding.

Good luck on your upgrade to Linux.
Thanks for your suggestion. I currently don't have a USB drive, which I will keep in mind for a potential addition to my existing hard drive.

At present we'd like to use Linux Mint live just for loading purposes while retaining Windows, but will definitely be using Linux Mint for a full installation as our only operating system in the future after we've fully learned how it works for full creating, saving, editing and opening documents.

On our behalf, I was going to download Linux Mint onto the E drive where the disk is installed, but with the two options presented "Like a USB flash drive" and "With a CD/DVD player", I didn't know which option to choose to save the Linux Mint file onto. Logically, it would be "Like a USB flash drive", but none of us have ever installed Linux which we are finding a struggle to proceed with.

Among your suggestions I've accessed the BIOS and changed it to move "CD/DVD USB Drive" to the top of the boot sequence, but haven't got any further due to the multiple options making it difficult to know which to choose.
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

austin.texas wrote:
Same here as another who has done countless installatiions -- have no idea what that statement means.

Dolly Day wrote:I've just downloaded Img Burn but unfortunately can't find the option "Burn Image to Disk" within it.

All I can find are these two options. The others are creating an image file from a disc, file/folders, Verifying a disc and "Discovery".

Write image file to disc

Yes -- "Write image file to disc".

Dolly Day wrote:On our behalf, I was going to download Linux Mint onto the E drive where the disk is installed,...
I'm assuming that the "E drive" is actually the DVD burner in computer, correct? You don't download directly to the DVD/DVD drive. Instead download the Mint ISO file to your Downloads folder. Then start the ImageBurn program and tell it to burn that ISO file to the DVD, picking "Write image file to disc" option. I've never used that program myself, so don't know exact process and wording of steps, but I imagine there will be a box of some sort that you can use to explore the file system and navigate to your Downloads folder to choose the downloaded ISO file for burning. Check on Youtube for instructional videos and/or the ImageBurn site for written instructions.

Once image is burned to DVD, keep DVD in the tray (or reload it if it gets spit out after burn is done), then reboot computer. If computer does not boot from the DVD automatically, then reboot again and go into Bios settings and move the CD/DVD player boot option to the top of the boot priority list. Usually that is done by using the arrow keys to highlight the entry, then use the "+" and/or "-" key to change its position on the list.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I can't answer your questions from firsthand knowledge, because I don't have Windows, but I was able to find the instructions for Windows 7 -
http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-an-ISO-File-on-Windows-7
http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials ... e-iso.html
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

M0em wrote:What happens when you click on the silver disk icon (the 'install' icon) is the actual installation. Everything before that is not part of the installation. Installation is not the same as loading. Let's please keep the terminology straight.
Ok, but austin.texas and gold_finger say they have never even seen that icon. If you have then how about a little help here solving this mystery.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Ozo wrote: austin.texas and gold finger say they have never even seen that icon.
I said I did not understand your sentence.
What is translates to is apparently: Boot the live Mint DVD, and click on the "INSTALL MINT" icon on the desktop, to begin the installation.
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Dolly Day, It would be simpler to ignore the autoplay. I think you should download Linux Mint to your download folder if you have not already done so and from there (in Windows 10 at least) right click the Mint file and select the burn disc image option. You should already have a blank disc in the DVD burner (optical drive). When you have selected that option (burn disc image) after a short wait you will see Windows Disc Image Burner with a window that says DVD R Drive (E). Below that check the window that says "verify disc after burning". Click "Burn". Pretty simple. :) There is an additional option in Windows Disc image Burner "Move to" where you can select either DVD or USB drive.

To download Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa" Cinnamon if that is what you want and you have not already done so , go to the site http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and scroll down to Download links. At the top of the list is Cinnamon 32bit or 64bit. Edit: If your computer will support 64 bit click that and scroll down to Primary download mirrors. There select your country (any of the choices with your country's flag will work) and the Linux Mint file will automatically be sent to your downloads folder. In the downloads folder right click on the Mint download file and select "Burn disc image". If you have a disc in the drive it will commence the operation. Sorry for repeating myself.
Last edited by Ozo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ozo wrote: 64bit is only 1.35 GB so I pick that.
I'm sorry to contradict you again, but that is not a good reason to pick 64bits. A good reason would be: because you have a fairly new computer with more than 4GB RAM. Older computers are generally made with a 32bits architecture, so for an older computer 32bits would be the better choice; however, as far as I know, the 32bits version should always work for running Mint from a Live disk.
For an installation, I would take the time to make sure it's the most suitable version. Here's an article that explains the difference (mostly in terms of Windows, but still informative).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

M0em wrote:
I'm sorry to contradict you again, but that is not a good reason to pick 64bits. A good reason would be: because you have a fairly new computer with more than 4GB RAM. Older computers are generally made with a 32bits architecture, so for an older computer 32bits would be the better choice; however, as far as I know, the 32bits version should always work for running Mint from a Live disk.
For an installation, I would take the time to make sure it's the most suitable version. Here's an article that explains the difference (mostly in terms of Windows, but still informative).
Admittedly I am no expert so please correct me any time as I would not want others to be misled by my comments. Still, I will continue to comment if I think I can help as in the case of this thread. I am sure tutorials regarding installation are prevalent but none have been submitted here so I am putting my two cents forward.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

gold_finger wrote:
Dolly Day wrote:I've just downloaded Img Burn but unfortunately can't find the option "Burn Image to Disk" within it.

Write image file to disc

Yes -- "Write image file to disc".

Dolly Day wrote:On our behalf, I was going to download Linux Mint onto the E drive where the disk is installed,...
I'm assuming that the "E drive" is actually the DVD burner in computer, correct? You don't download directly to the DVD/DVD drive. Instead download the Mint ISO file to your Downloads folder. Then start the ImageBurn program and tell it to burn that ISO file to the DVD, picking "Write image file to disc" option. I've never used that program myself, so don't know exact process and wording of steps, but I imagine there will be a box of some sort that you can use to explore the file system and navigate to your Downloads folder to choose the downloaded ISO file for burning. Check on Youtube for instructional videos and/or the ImageBurn site for written instructions.

Once image is burned to DVD, keep DVD in the tray (or reload it if it gets spit out after burn is done), then reboot computer. If computer does not boot from the DVD automatically, then reboot again and go into Bios settings and move the CD/DVD player boot option to the top of the boot priority list. Usually that is done by using the arrow keys to highlight the entry, then use the "+" and/or "-" key to change its position on the list.
Thanks again to each of you for your respective instructions and links.

I've since clicked on "Write image file to disc".

The E drive doubles as the DVD burner.

I've downloaded the Mint ISO file to my Downloads folder then used ImgBurn, with success including moving the CD/DVD Drive option (Internal drive) to the top of the Boot Menu in the BIOS.

The only downside is that Malwarebytes detected Open Candy in the ImgBurn .exe file, which I've deleted, so it's presumably inside the ImgBurn program, but the program itself works and I have been able to use Linux Mint live.

The functions which won't work, presumably as the program is on a disk and not installed, are creating, saving and editing files, and accessing the Internet, but the program, itself is working fine with a beautiful interface and nice choice of options.
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

austin.texas wrote:I can't answer your questions from firsthand knowledge, because I don't have Windows, but I was able to find the instructions for Windows 7 -
http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-an-ISO-File-on-Windows-7
http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials ... e-iso.html
Thanks for the links.

Linux Mint is now working nicely.
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

Ozo wrote:
M0em wrote:What happens when you click on the silver disk icon (the 'install' icon) is the actual installation. Everything before that is not part of the installation. Installation is not the same as loading. Let's please keep the terminology straight.
Ok, but austin.texas and gold_finger say they have never even seen that icon. If you have then how about a little help here solving this mystery.
I'm in Windows mode at the moment, but from memory, I think it was a silver icon I spotted, which was on the Desktop.

Although my current usage is in Live mode, I'm presuming that clicking on it would install the program over Windows, so I didn't take any chances, but it's useful to have it to hand.
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

Ozo wrote:Dolly Day, It would be simpler to ignore the autoplay. I think you should download Linux Mint to your download folder if you have not already done so and from there (in Windows 10 at least) right click the Mint file and select the burn disc image option. You should already have a blank disc in the DVD burner (optical drive). When you have selected that option (burn disc image) after a short wait you will see Windows Disc Image Burner with a window that says DVD R Drive (E). Below that check the window that says "verify disc after burning". Click "Burn". Pretty simple. :)

To download Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa" Cinnamon if that is what you want and you have not already done so , go to the site http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and scroll down to Download links. At the top of the list is Cinnamon 32bit or 64bit. Edit: If your computer will support 64 bit click that and scroll down to Primary download mirrors. There select your country (any of the choices with your country's flag will work) and the Linux Mint file will automatically be sent to your downloads folder. In the downloads folder right click on the Mint download file and select "Burn disc image". If you have a disc in the drive it will commence the operation. Sorry for repeating myself.
I opted for the 64 bit version in conjunction with this computer.

Although we use Windows 7, the outcome is the same as your description with Windows 10 with the download folder and other instructions. I installed and loaded ImgBurn to create Linux onto a blank disc in the DVD burner as a 64 bit installation. It's a lot simpler than we first thought, but being newbies to Linux, we were totally stuck at the beginning. Each of you have come up trumps.
Last edited by Dolly Day on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly Day

Post by Dolly Day »

M0em wrote:
Thanks also for your link to the differences between 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”