Cannot access windows 7 anymore only linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattclimber

Cannot access windows 7 anymore only linux mint

Post by mattclimber »

Hello,

So when I got this laptop I installed first linux mint and after windows 7 to use certain programs not working on linux. It worked all fine and well until 3 days ago when windows 7 suddenly stopped working when booting it from grub. Though linux mint still works perfectly fine and can access all data on my computer from it.
Though would love that windows works again as well...

The error message I saw first from starting windows was: the file is possible corrupt. the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.
Later I got a error when doing the repair of system volume on disk is corrupt.

So first I tried fixing windows 7 since I reckon that is where the problem is. Used the install disk to repair the computer which did not work, after restore which gave a error since it said I had to select the windows I was using but only have windows 7 (had the correct install disk). After trying cmd as well where none of the commands like: dir c; or others did not work since it could not locate where windows was installed only found the disk.
So chkdsk also did not work or sfc scannow and anything else I tried.

Many suggested it would be the ram or the harddrive but did checks and changed memory and it always seemed fine, the harddrive gave a error in windows but in linux all works so far i know.

I gave up on windows since I cannot seem to fix it. Then I saw that you can fix it from linux so went on a long search there.
Many suggested using ntfs fix which I did and it fixed it, after I tried lilo to boot but it did not show the windows option only linux. removed it again since grub works fine and prefer it.
So from linux I can access almost all data except things from my browser etc. But it seems the harddrive is fine and all other hardware. So I would like to get windows 7 fixed since it seems possible.
But now I have no idea what to do next... help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a nice day

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cannot access windows 7 anymore only linux mint

Post by xenopeek »

mattclimber wrote:Many suggested using ntfs fix which I did and it fixed it
If you're here asking for help, then this sentence of yours doesn't make sense to me. What was fixed with ntfs fix, and what is your remaining problem?
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Hey,

sorry to confuse you.

So I used this site: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-corrup ... em-ubuntu/
which suggested using ntfs to fix a corrupted windows partition. All went like on the site and said it was processed successfully.
After I did the lilo and got that as booting option instead but windows was not listen only linux mint, so went back to grub since it worked fine as well
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mattclimber wrote:so went back to grub since it worked fine as well
You're confusing me even more. Everything is working? Then why are you posting a support request.
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Well I only said grub worked fine, Windows 7 still is broken. It just gives a BSOD.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if it's now giving a BSOD - then you now need to boot a win_7 install_disk
- and run it's boot-repair option.

if that, then fails, ( and it does do that ) then your next step, is to re-install win_7, from that disk.
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win ... reinstall/

after getting that working again - you will then have to re-install the LinuxMint boot_loader AKA : GRUB_LOADER.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Hey,

thanks for the reply.
Yes I tried it many times and always the repair option fails, same with the recovery.

The other link you showed I tried as well before, it started off fine but then it says
to continue you must open windows and continue the installation there. But since
windows is broken I cannot do that sadly... Seems you need a partly working windows
to re-install windows.

But thanks
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Yes I tried it many times and always the repair option fails, same with the recovery.
Then, as Pierre said, you have to re-install windows. And after that, again as Pierre said, you have to reinstall grub.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Well the link he showed me I have tried. You are re-installing windows but you do not lose your data and preferences. You kind of 'upgrade' your windows instead of fully removed all and starting again. But yes that option only works when you can get in your current windows and sadly I cannot.

And since I want to keep my data I do not want to format, which is what you are suggesting I think.

And it seems the problem is somewhere in the windows software so I am sure one can fix that without removing everything and starting over.
Thanks for the reply.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

And since I want to keep my data I do not want to format, which is what you are suggesting I think.
With linux, copy the data onto a USB gizmo before reinstalling windows, if that's what you end yup doing.
Note: that's a good idea anyway (IOW, a backup). If you're going to rely on windows to preserve your data no-matter-what, you'll end up losing it eventually.
And it seems the problem is somewhere in the windows software so I am sure one can fix that without removing everything and starting over.
Here's a good forum for problems with Windows7: http://www.sevenforums.com/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Well tried many things, still no solution. No idea what is going on.
Tried to copy data but not all will copy sadly. And still would like to get windows back working.... but no one seems to know what the problem is.

Well yes true, but I am currently and when I got this pc not at my home, so I had no place to back it up and moving around with a HDD in the luggage
did not work well last time. So I just stuck to a laptop. And worked well for a while and now when I am going home soon windows broke....

Yes I know that forum, no luck their either but thanks for the link.

Really no idea what to do now.
mattclimber

Post by mattclimber »

Anyone has any other ideas?
Got no idea what to do any more.

Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”