mintUpdate icon gone [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warriors

mintUpdate icon gone [SOLVED]

Post by warriors »

Hey,
I have the gnome mint 7 installed on two of my desktop and on one of them I accidentally deleted (Remove from Panel?) the mintUpdate icon.
Now, I DO have the mintupdate.desktop file in the /etc/xdg/autostart/ directory but the mintUpdate icon does not show up when I boot up the machine! The contents of the two mintupdate.desktop files on my computers are identical but one of them does not start mintUpdate at start up. Any ideas on how I can get it back? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aduka

Re: mintUpdate icon gone

Post by Aduka »

Try this:

Menu -> Control Center -> Type 'Session' into the filter; this is going to bring up startup applications.

On that list verify that mintUpdate is still on that list. if it isn't, just add it.

Mine looks something like this:
Screenshot.png
Information for manually adding it:

Code: Select all

Name: mintUpdate

command: /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py

Linux Mint Update Manager
warriors

Post by warriors »

mintUpdate is indeed still on that list... i tried un/checking it and restarting but that did not bring back the icon :(
other ideas anyone?
Aduka

Post by Aduka »

What happens when you try to run /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py from Alt-F2? Does it load the little mintUpdate?
warriors

Post by warriors »

I get the "Another mintUpdate is already running, exiting" message. After I kill the mintUpdate and run the command, it starts up without the little mintUpdate icon... frustrating!

Also I tried to reinstall the mintUpdate package but that didn't fix the problem either.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

warriors wrote:Also I tried to reinstall the mintUpdate package but that didn't fix the problem either.
To make sure you are getting a fresh install of Mintupdate, I would in the package manager (synaptic) completely remove mintupdate , then install it again
--for the session manager selection mint menu>Control center>Personal>Startup Applications>Options TAB [ ] Automatically remember running Applications when logging out
  • I would not remember running applications, unless you want to restart applications/utilities that were running before a reboot, or unless you are worried you might not have saved your data in OpenOffice for example; which has its own timed save feature
In terminal, check
  • locate mintupdate
    /etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop
    /usr/bin/mintupdate
    /usr/share/doc/mintupdate
    /usr/share/doc/mintupdate/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/mintupdate/copyright
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintupdate.conffiles
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintupdate.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintupdate.md5sums
Where mintupdate should be located in the directory tree, for the Linux Mint 7 (gloria) 32bit main edition

So, what happens if you run /usr/bin/mintupdate; can you update
--if you only want to make sure that you can connect and update the system, either in the terminal or via the synaptic package manage (mint menu>System>Package manager
In the terminal
  • sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
In Synaptic (Package manager)
  • Run Package manager
    Reload
    --same as apt-get update
    Mark all upgrades
    --similar to apt-get upgrade
    Apply
    --execute the update commands selected
warriors

Post by warriors »

DrHu wrote: To make sure you are getting a fresh install of Mintupdate, I would in the package manager (synaptic) completely remove mintupdate , then install it again
Tried that, the mintUpdate icon is still missing from the panel after complete removal and installation.
DrHu wrote: So, what happens if you run /usr/bin/mintupdate; can you update
I do have /usr/bin/mintupdate. And i can run it (and update) through the terminal or through the mintMenu, with no problems. I'm starting to think this is a GNOME Panel problem, since I can run mintUpdate by itself with no problems. Is there a way to reset the GNOME Panel to the defaults that were there when mint was freshly installed?

On my main computer when I "killall mintUpdate"(icon disappears) and run "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py"(icon comes back) through Alt+F2, but when i do that on the other computer where the icon is missing nothing happens.

I know I can do the updates in several other ways, the problem is that I'm going to give the computer that has the icon missing to my grandma. It would be really nice if she could see when she needs to update the OS by looking at the panel icons. Sigh, I don't want to reinstall mint...
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

warriors wrote:I'm starting to think this is a GNOME Panel problem, since I can run mintUpdate by itself with no problems. Is there a way to reset the GNOME Panel to the defaults that were there when mint was freshly installed? ...Sigh, I don't want to reinstall mint...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... nome+panel
Fix Gnome panel topics..

Also, if you aren't too far into customizing the system the easiest to get everything back to normal, without fishing around is to reinstall the OS and restart the customizing process.

Probably, but I think I would try this first
Check in synaptic
  • Seach mint
    mintsystem
    mint-artwork-gnome
    mintdesktop
    search gnome
    gnome-panel
  • The GNOME Panel is an essential part of the GNOME Desktop, providing toolbar-like “panels” which can be attached to the sides of your desktop. They are used to launch applications and embed a number of other functions..
gnome panel might be it, but since I don't tend to add remove generic parts of the system, I can't say for sure

In synaptic completely remove mintupdate
In mint menu>control center>System>Computer janitor
--see if that fixes up the system for you, cleans up removed applications (mintupdate)
warriors

Re: mintUpdate icon gone [SOLVED]

Post by warriors »

After pocking around with the gnome panel I realized what I did was accidentally remove the notification area from the gnome panel. After adding the notification area back in, the network manager and the mintUpdate icons came back. Thanks DrHu for once again pointing me in the right direction.

Return to “Software & Applications”