[Solved] Unetbootin doesn't see NTFS partition on USB-- what will?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved] Unetbootin doesn't see NTFS partition on USB-- what will?

Post by linx255 »

Hi,

Using Mint 16 Mate 64-bit.

I'm trying to load a Windows installer ISO to a USB partition formatted to NTFS but unetbootin doesn't see the NTFS partition. ( It does see the other FAT32 partition. )

I've read rumors that unetbootin doesn't support NTFS. If that's the case, why, and what is a Linux-based solution? I need to be able to create Windows USB boot disks on NTFS partitions-- using Linux. I've tried usb-creator-gtk to no avail. I have all the standard ntfs packages installed.

If there is no solution, then is there a tool or series of commands to convert a FAT32 to NTFS without erasing or changing the existing data on it-- again, using Linux?

I succeeded in creating a Windows boot disk with NTFS partition, but I had to first create it as FAT32, then extract the master boot record with 'dd' command', backup the root directory files, then format it NTFS, use 'dd' to forge the master boot record back on, and copy the root directory files back on. This worked for one of my older USB drives, but for some weird reason it destroys the data / format on my newer USB drive, making it unusable until I re-format it. I'm having to use a virtual machine to create the boot disk, but it was kind of a pain to setup a VM just to make one boot disk plus I just didn't feel very in control having to resort to MS for this task.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
maxter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unetbootin doesn't see NTFS partition on USB-- what will

Post by maxter »

from command line type:

sudo unetbootin installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdX

unetbootin GUI will open with the selected drive already setted, also if it is ntfs formatted.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unetbootin doesn't see NTFS partition on USB-- what will

Post by linx255 »

Sure enough, this works! Thank you kindly. :D
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved flux91's reply, posted 4 years later, here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278311
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash

Return to “Software & Applications”