Replace Grub with Burg

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Loku

Replace Grub with Burg

Post by Loku »

Two reasons:

-It's way more eye-candy than the normal grub:

I bet this

Attracts more people than this

-As far as I'd read, there is no performance issues with it, so there would be no problems using it. Additionaly, there could be some minty-themes in it.

So, what do you think?
Aging Technogeek

Re: Replace Grub with Burg

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I did it some time ago. Burg is now the first thing I install whenever I install a fresh version of Mint or any other Ubuntu based distro. (It also works in LMDE) See my post here.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

+1
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Loku wrote:Two reasons:

-It's way more eye-candy than the normal grub:
more eye-candy = more problems .. :wink:
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

No.

Let us talk about Burg seriously. I installed Burg with Mint 9 and 10, no problems while the installation process or booting.
In virtualbox it works with Win7, Mint Main, Arch and Salix (Xfce) and many other unique system mixes.

I'm using using three mint installations on my harddrive (Mint Main latest stable and the Rc, Mint Debian). So i'm off topic about the usability of operating systems icons (there's one icon for every unique operating system), i have to make my own icons or choose a text based interface or make my own interface.

Making an own interface/theme is easy for people who know general things about pointing to directories in a text file and creating a very simple unique picture with gimp; i'm sure, the mint team is able to build a simple and effective tool to make this work with some clicks.
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

I use Burg too and love it! The only problem I have with it is that it breaks the startup/shutdown logos (Plymouth?). They go back to being big and ugly. All I actually see at bootup is text and big green dots. At shutdown, the same with giant text. Is there a fix available for this issue? It's not a deal-breaker as otherwise Burg is fantastic, but it is annoying.

This issue existed in Mint 9 64-bit. I'm using Mint 10 64-bit now.

Thanks,

Jeff
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

After reading this threat, I have tested Burg, and I like what I see, so I vote for Burg.

But in general my boot(and loader)-screen are very ugly since I have installed die official ATI drivers. Befor the that installation the boot-screen was nice, but the desktop had many glitches...
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

jlr1701 wrote:I use Burg too and love it! The only problem I have with it is that it breaks the startup/shutdown logos (Plymouth?). They go back to being big and ugly. All I actually see at bootup is text and big green dots. At shutdown, the same with giant text. Is there a fix available for this issue? It's not a deal-breaker as otherwise Burg is fantastic, but it is annoying.
Did something similar happen while you used grub?
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

thx1138 wrote:
jlr1701 wrote:I use Burg too and love it! The only problem I have with it is that it breaks the startup/shutdown logos (Plymouth?). They go back to being big and ugly. All I actually see at bootup is text and big green dots. At shutdown, the same with giant text. Is there a fix available for this issue? It's not a deal-breaker as otherwise Burg is fantastic, but it is annoying.
Did something similar happen while you used grub?
Yeah, it did, but I'm aware of the fix for that. No worries. I used the script available here to (sort of) fix this Burg issue:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/script-t ... h-for.html

The startup logo still doesn't look right. It starts up with "Linux Mint 10" in large text with green dots below it but then switches to a very small version of the same. The shutdown logo looks fine now, though. Is there just not a Mint logo in Julia yet?

It's much better now than it was. It would be nice for it to look perfect, but I can live with it as is. :)
Loku

Post by Loku »

And if the idea doesn't fly, at least lets add Startup-Manger by default, for a little more customization.

http://startup-manager.softonic.com/linux
Aging Technogeek

Loku,

Check the Menu under Administration. Startup Manager is already included by default in Mint 9 and 10.
bikerboi87

Post by bikerboi87 »

i must admit that i would much prefer to be greeted by burg than grub when i boot up my computer, and many windows users are more likely to be attracted by the eye candy...

it would have to be a lot easier than grub2 to change though. grub is a nightmare.....
Aging Technogeek

A little something I found over the weekend for those who do not like editing files in terminal to revise their bootloader.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/grub-cus ... fault.html

Grub Customizer is a GUI method of editing Grub 2 and Burg. The instructions for installation on Ubuntu work as well for Mint.

When the program starts, if burg is installed, it asks if you want to edit burg instead of grub.

It will do everything you can do when editing /etc/default/grub or /etc/default/burg in terminal plus a few grub only tweaks like changing the colors.
bikerboi87

Post by bikerboi87 »

hmmm, i'm liking grub customizer 2.

maybe that could be included as the default instead of what there is at the moment?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”