Different Wallpaper-For each workspace

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dewman12

Different Wallpaper-For each workspace

Post by dewman12 »

It would be so nice to be able to have a different wallpaper for each workspace.Possible even have different theme for each workspace. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Different Wallpaper-For each workspace

Post by xenopeek »

Please read the forum rules at the top of the page. No ideas for application developers here. Also, when you share ideas, be specific and provide context. Without context ideas are meaningless. Whether you use Cinnamon or MATE, you would make such suggestions to the developers of those desktop environments on the collaboration space they have for that (Cinnamon is on GitHub; MATE have a brainstorm section on their forum).

Xfce has wallpaper per workspace.

KDE has workspaces but in addition to that KDE also has "activities", which serve kind of the same purpose but yet match more with what you want. With activities you can set up different wallpapers and different desktop widgets on each activity, though still the panel configuration will be shared across activities. There's no way to bring that to other desktop environments though; you'd have to switch to KDE.

You not providing context I could also have answered without context, stating that wallpaper per workspace is already implemented... Context is important.
dewman12

Post by dewman12 »

Sorry for the lack of Context. I use Linux Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon desktop.
j03k3rr

Post by j03k3rr »

I use Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon too and I'm having hard time to understand why in the year of 2015 it is not possible to set different wallpapers per workspace with this Cinnamon thing.
konjad

Post by konjad »

j03k3rr wrote:I use Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon too and I'm having hard time to understand why in the year of 2015 it is not possible to set different wallpapers per workspace with this Cinnamon thing.

For the same reason it is not possible on any other GE but KDE.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

konjad wrote:
j03k3rr wrote:I use Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon too and I'm having hard time to understand why in the year of 2015 it is not possible to set different wallpapers per workspace with this Cinnamon thing.

Any DE that can run Compiz can have a different wallpaper per workspace plus a lot of other niceties.
pringled

Post by pringled »

theStreak wrote:
konjad wrote:

Any DE that can run Compiz can have a different wallpaper per workspace plus a lot of other niceties.
The Manjaro "variant" of XFCE can do it even without using Compiz as your compositor (or maybe all of them? I havent seen the option to do so in others but i might just be super unobservant), so it's not even as "limited" as that. That being said, it's way more rare of feature than one would think all across the board, none the less. I've had exactly one Android phone that was even capable of getting third-party software to do it, and I've had a ton of phones. And as far as I know it's not a thing one Windows or Mac either, Super weird, especially since every single time I look it up it's super apparent there's a demand for the option of using more than one wallpaper all across the board.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

The thing is, not all features are so desirable once they're available to you. Even though I have the option to do this using Compiz, I really don't see the value in doing it, if only because I like my wallpaper to kind of support my theme and the chances of my rounding up four such wallpapers at the same time is almost nil. Then, what happens when you get bored with those four? You have to find another interesting set of four wallpapers that compliment your theme. It just isn't worth the trouble for the little value added (and frankly, I'm unsure even what that value really is -- why is a different wallpaper per workspace that desirable anyway).

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”