How to install Compiz on LMDE-2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

How to install Compiz on LMDE-2

Post by zaileion »

I found a way to install compiz from SID source for LMDE (not LMDE-2).
http://simplylinuxtutorials.blogspot.co ... -mint.html
There are other sites as well. they all have very similar instructions.

I found a way to install Compiz on Mate 16 and 17 from source. My preferred way but its for Mate (Ubuntu Based) and note LMDE. I'm sure its the configuration of the files not the compiled code. Unfortunately i don't know how to adjust the necessary configurations and commands to comply with Debian instead of Ubuntu.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=158876

Anyone know how..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install Compiz on LMDE-2

Post by zaileion »

really want to switch to the new LMDE-2 but not willing without Compiz. Anyone have any further details?
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

Any further advancement on this subject?
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install Compiz on LMDE-2 in 10 easy steps!!

Post by zaileion »

AS OF RIGHT NOW THIS ONLY WORKS WITH COMPIZ 0.8.4 which packages are listed in a below post from google drive. The other google drive links below are for other versions of Compiz but i cant get them to work. If your willing please try and share!!

OK. So i found a way. Its a hack, but it works... If anyone has improvements please post. I'm not anyone who could be considered an authority on this stuff, just tons of trial and error and reading error messages...

This is my 1st actual guide, and probably the first time i've ever been successful at a workaround. I'm a copy/paste master, not one who can actually use Linux.. :P

This guide is heavily based on http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=158876 written by odd0002. Thank you!!

Before we begin i should point out this is not guaranteed to work, i'm not responsible for you computer breaking, or anything else for that matter. This is an AT YOUR OWN RISK guide!

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential git autoconf automake libtool intltool git autoconf automake libxcomposite-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev libtool intltool libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgconf2-dev libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxslt1-dev libgconf-bridge-dev python-pyrex python2.7-dev libwnck-dev libdbus-glib-1.dev
3. Launch Synaptic (aka Package Manager):
- Search for: libxml
-- Install: libxml++2.6-2-dev

- Search for: dbus-glib (I'm Updating, i dont think this step is necessary but i'm keeping it here for now just in case)
-- Install: libdbus-glib-1.dev

sudo apt-get install libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev

5. Download the Packages from below Google Drive links. Extract if necessary and copy to your home folder /home/YOURNAME/compiz attached is a pic of what your /home/YOURNAME/compiz folder should look like. After you copy the folders over, go into compiz folder and enter each folder within (core, bcop... etc...) and right click the autogen.sh icon, select Properties then the Permissions tab, and click the box to make executable (down the bottom of the permissions tab). you have to do this for each folder. for ccsm its setup.py

6. Now compile the packages: Highlight each line below one at the time and paste into terminal (don't get confused):

cd core
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd bcop
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd libcompizconfig
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd compizconfig-python
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd ccsm
sudo ./setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
cd ../
cd plugins-main
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd plugins-extra
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd plugins-unsupported
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
7. Now add the library paths: Highlight each line below one at the time and paste into terminal:

sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/compiz.conf"
    sudo ldconfig
8. Compile Emerald:

cd emerald/emerald
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd emerald-themes
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
9. Add Emerald library paths:

sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/emerald-theme-manager.conf"
sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/emerald.conf"
sudo ldconfig
Whew... lots of triple clicking and pasting and stuff... :lol:

Post install process:
Now launch Compiz Config Settings Manager and check these options (they are minimum required):
"Window Decorations", "Move Windows", and "Resize Windows", "Place Windows", "Window Decorations"

Click on "Window Decorations" and type

emerald --replace
in "Command"

Now experiment with other options as you see fit...

For Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube to work you need to go under the last tab in general and increase horizontal desktops to more than 1.

To actually make Compiz work open terminal and paste (use for testing, after reboot Compiz wont run automatically):

compiz --replace ccp
Or if you also compiled the fusion-icon you can go into control center, startup applications and add new Name it fusion Icon and the command is fusion-icon the description is whatever you want

After your comfortable with your settings and you've configured everything to your satisfaction, do the following to auto launch Compiz at start-up:
1. Launch "Control Center"
2. "Startup Applications"
3. "Add"
-- Name: Whatever you want, i Put "Compiz Window Manager"
-- Command: compiz --replace

OR

Or if you also compiled the fusion-icon you can go into control center, startup applications and add new Name it fusion Icon and the command is fusion-icon the description is whatever you want
--Description: Whatever you want, i put "Advanced and highly configurable window manager"

REBOOT... Good Luck.. Any further details or ideas PLEASE post!
This is experimental for me as well. I will update the guide as time goes on.
Last edited by zaileion on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lukaszads

Post by lukaszads »

So, how is it?
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

Everything seems to work well.

Dude!! confused!! The Git Repos are down!?!?
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

Any alternatives for missing git repos?
barko

Post by barko »

Here is easier way to install compiz on the lmde 2.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

^ is also the easiest way to break you system... Using Ubuntu libs in Debian. Nice idea.
barko

Post by barko »

killer de bug wrote:^ is also the easiest way to break you system... Using Ubuntu libs in Debian. Nice idea.
I believe in few years will not break, because of nature of LMDE2.
rob630

Post by rob630 »

Thank you for the guide.

when I run any of the git commands,
I cannot connect to anongit.compiz.org and so cannot get going.

also have libxml++2.6-2 already installed

and only have libxml++2.6-dev available

every thing else I installed from jessie backports.

How I added backports

code select all:
sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list

For jessie add this line to the bottom of your sources.list

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main

save and close

sudo apt-get update

to install from backports ...
sudo aptitude -t jessie-backports install "package" ie
sudo aptitude -t jessie-backports install libxslt1-dev libxslt1-dev python-pyrex python2.7-dev libwnck-dev

and which libg packages should I install?

I never got to where I could compile.

I am am really impressed. I would really like to get Compiz running on my Jessie, LMDE 2 and Point Linux 3

Thank you once again
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

links to compiz 0.8.4 since the repos are down. Its an untiteled folder since my computer is f'ed up and i cannot rename files, no right click...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ztnc ... sp=sharing

here are other versions as well:

Compiz 0.9.4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ztnc ... sp=sharing

Compiz 0.8.8: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ztnc ... sp=sharing

and other Compiz stuff i've collected: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ztnc ... sp=sharing

Good Luck Everyone! Please post anything further or anything you discover:
alex1234

Post by alex1234 »

Compiz is back with stable release 0.8.10 http://blog.northfield.ws/compiz-maintenance/ :D

Tutorial for *buntu based Linux distribution http://blog.northfield.ws/

On LMDE-2:

Install dependencies

sudo apt-get install git build-essential libxcomposite-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libmetacity-dev librsvg2-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev autoconf automake libtool intltool libxslt1-dev xsltproc libwnck-dev python-dev python-pyrex libxss-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libprotobuf-dev libnotify-dev libtool-bin
Download scripts

git clone git://northfield.ws/compiz/scripts -b release-0.8.10
Edit build file
open build file in the scripts directory with editor and add --disable-metacity at lines 31 and 32.
The lines should then look like this

if [ "$c" = "core" ]; then
		./autogen.sh --prefix="$prefix" --disable-gnome --disable-kde --disable-kde4 --disable-metacity || return 1
		./configure --prefix="$prefix" --disable-gnome --disable-kde --disable-kde4 --disable-metacity || return 1
Run the INSTALL script

cd scripts
./INSTALL
Create symlinks

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccsm-0.8.10-py2.7.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccsm-0.8.10-py2.7.egg-info
Start ccsm by typing ccsm in the terminal and verify it runs. Enable basic plugins such as Window Decoration, Move Window, Place Window, Resize Window.

Start compiz

compiz --replace ccp && emerald --replace
Enjoy Compiz with all plugins
Last edited by alex1234 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zerocc

Post by zerocc »

Thanks for your detailed instructions - which I think I faithfully followed.... All goes well till the crunch:

returns

libccs: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
..and indeed there is no such file - although all the directories are in place.

Help?
alex1234

Post by alex1234 »

I don't have this file on my system. There are only "libini.a" "libini.la" "libini.so". Are you running MATE or Cinnamon? I think Compiz doesn't work on Cinnamon.
zerocc

Post by zerocc »

Cinnamon - and there's my answer. Thank you.
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

alex1234 wrote:Compiz is back with stable release 0.8.10 http://blog.northfield.ws/compiz-maintenance/ :D

Tutorial for *buntu based Linux distribution http://blog.northfield.ws/

On LMDE-2:

Install dependencies

sudo apt-get install git build-essential libxcomposite-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libmetacity-dev librsvg2-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev autoconf automake libtool intltool libxslt1-dev xsltproc libwnck-dev python-dev python-pyrex libxss-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libprotobuf-dev libnotify-dev libtool-bin
Download scripts

git clone git://northfield.ws/compiz/scripts -b release-0.8.10
Edit build file
open build file in the scripts directory with editor and add --disable-metacity at lines 31 and 32.
The lines should then look like this

if [ "$c" = "core" ]; then
		./autogen.sh --prefix="$prefix" --disable-gnome --disable-kde --disable-kde4 --disable-metacity || return 1
		./configure --prefix="$prefix" --disable-gnome --disable-kde --disable-kde4 --disable-metacity || return 1
Run the INSTALL script

cd scripts
./INSTALL
Create symlinks

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccsm-0.8.10-py2.7.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccsm-0.8.10-py2.7.egg-info
Start ccsm by typing ccsm in the terminal and verify it runs. Enable basic plugins such as Window Decoration, Move Window, Place Window, Resize Window.

Start compiz

Enjoy Compiz with all plugins

I know Compiz is a resource waster... But speed and function are not always the primary motivator behind a computer. Sure i use Linux at work and speed and function are primary. But as for a home theater PC i use LMDE2 connected to a McIntosh Audio System and a Samsung TV. Compiz makes for the most amazing home theater experience I've ever seen. I am absolutely thrilled that its back with almost all of its glory! Ive been trying for years to keep it alive. ever since Ubuntu 12.10 (when i switched to Debian) and now its an easy script and a few dependencies. Thank you for the effort and work to stabilize Compiz for everyone!!
alex1234

Post by alex1234 »

Oh thanks. But it's not my work. I just showed how to use the script. Read this Blog http://blog.northfield.ws/compiz-maintenance/ there are the guys who did this job.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I finally got around to upgrading to LMDE 2, now that I saw good perspectives for Compiz. This worked great to get me back Compiz in LMDE 2. I had to re-configure some of my settings, but it's working.
atarixle

Post by atarixle »

zaileion wrote: I know Compiz is a resource waster...
lolwut?

Compiz is faster than today's GNOME-Shell, or Gala on eOS! and even less buggy!

And the memory amount is not much more than on metacity (GNOME) or marco (MATE), as it also really pauses minimized windows, contrary to GNOME-Shell/Gala, where windows get updated in Full-Res when minimized to keep the preview running.

Return to “LMDE Archive”