Display problem after LMDE2 upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cycykewl

Display problem after LMDE2 upgrade

Post by cycykewl »

Hi

I have a display issue after LMDE upgrade.
Screen resolution is bad and I cannot use my laptop :(
Maybe my screen is not reconized ... I do not know !
Can you help me plz ??

thx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cycykewl

Re: Display problem after LMDE2 upgrade

Post by cycykewl »

Check if fglrx isn't blacklisted.

To do that I grep through all of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/:

grep fglrx /etc/modprobe.d/*
In my case this gives following output:

blacklist-local.conf:blacklist fglrx
fglrx.conf:# This file was installed by fglrx
fglrx.conf:alias fglrx fglrx
All I had to do is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local.conf file and comment out line with "blacklist fglrx" by inserting "#" in front of the line. So it looks like this now:

# blacklist fglrx

Issue fixed now !
jasonsmith

Post by jasonsmith »

If the other suggestion does not work, try this:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1019845
jasonsmith

Post by jasonsmith »

I'll give a synopsis of that last post.

I tried the upgrade on 2 different machines, both using Intel graphics (so pretty stock) and had similar problems with graphics at boot.

One of the machines I managed to get working, but I had to switch from Cinnamon to Mate before it was stable.

The other machine booted into Cinnamon once, and on the next reboot I could never get the desktop back. I reinstalled LMDE2 from the ISO and restored the desktops, and everything is absolutely perfect now.

So this isn't a hardware problem. There are issues with the upgrade. Maybe everyone isn't having them, but the quickest way to resolve the issues is to nuke and pave. I spent a couple of days messing around with this with some success, but wasn't able to fix all the problems.

Until someone comes up with a better solution, the quickest way to a completely stable system seems to be a clean reinstall.
gregov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregov »

I get a similar problem. For me it seems to come from using the new kernel 3.16 in LMDE 2. If booting with the old kernel 3.11 I don't have the problem.
When using kernel 3.16 the size of my laptop screen is not recognised properly. I managed to open the display settings window. The shown resolution was correct. I chose a different one, applied, then chose again the initial resolution. My screen was then properly displayed. However at the next boot, this issue was still there.

I don't know if it helps narrowing the origin of the problem.
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

If booting with the old kernel 3.11 I don't have the problem.
When using kernel 3.16 the size of my laptop screen is not recognised properly. I managed to open the display settings window. The shown resolution was correct. I chose a different one, applied, then chose again the initial resolution. My screen was then properly displayed. However at the next boot, this issue was still there.
Sounds a lot like mine, my solution was to include the right modules in ramdisk used during the boot. What worked for me in the end I have written here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1019802 Perhaps you need other modules for your card, but it might set you on a path to resolution......
gregov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregov »

Sounds a lot like mine, my solution was to include the right modules in ramdisk used during the boot. What worked for me in the end I have written here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1019802 Perhaps you need other modules for your card, but it might set you on a path to resolution......
Thanks for the link. I have an intel card as well. I will try as soon as I find some time.

Return to “LMDE Archive”