Problems with using the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmic Penguin

Problems with using the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

This problem is about running the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator (which is free software :wink: ) on Linux Mint. For some reason the textures on the planets are not showing properly, while running it in Ubuntu did not result in the same problem. A full description of the problem by more than one user can be found here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32835 and http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34769

This is the method I used to install Orbiter on Linux Mint & Ubuntu: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... guide.452//http://devio.us/~dv/linux-orbiter.html

Can someone who is familiar with graphics rendering take a look at this issue? Thanks! :D

Cosmic Penguin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Booman

Re: Problems with using the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator

Post by Booman »

Which Mint are you using? 64-bit?
What video card/chip do you have?
Did you install the proprietary drivers?

I just want to make sure all the bases are covered first.
You can always try another version of Wine as well. Like Wine 1.7.37
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:Which Mint are you using? 64-bit?
What video card/chip do you have?
Did you install the proprietary drivers?

I just want to make sure all the bases are covered first.
You can always try another version of Wine as well. Like Wine 1.7.37
- Mint Cinnamon 17.1 64-bit (though IIRC the problem started from at least Mint 15)
- NVidia GeForce GT 640M LE (one of those switchable cards on a laptop)
- Yup, and IIRC it was the latest version.

Not sure if another version of Wine would help - the problem is at least 1.5 years old and I think I used Wine 1.6 back then.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Nice, glad you are totally up-to-date.
I didn't realize you had a laptop with dual video chips.
Is it Intel and Nvidia?
Have you tried the Bumblee Optimus drivers?

I don't have any experience with these drivers, but I've read they can definitely help with playing games.
Sometimes the Intel driver won't handle the requirements for a game but the Nvidia drivers can.
The problem is you have to be able to select which chip to use as the default.

Are you able to run any other 3D games in Mint?
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

One more thing that I forgot to mention: the frame rate literally drops to zero when I run this in Linux Mint. Again, this does not happen when I run it in Ubuntu, which is strange.

I wonder if this is a Linux Mint specific video memory issue? My video card definitely has enough memory space, yet the textures somehow failed to load.... :?
Booman

Post by Booman »

How did you manage to get it running in Ubuntu? It should be about the same in Mint... this is strange
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:How did you manage to get it running in Ubuntu? It should be about the same in Mint... this is strange
The same method listed in the opening post. I last tried in 14.04 and it was perfect. Yet I tried this in Mint and....
Booman

Post by Booman »

Wow, that is really strange.
Can you run any other games in Mint?

Go ahead and post the output from the PlayOnLInux debug.
Launch PlayOnLinux
Select Orbiter
Click Debug (instead of Run)
Copy paste the entire output
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:Wow, that is really strange.
Can you run any other games in Mint?

Go ahead and post the output from the PlayOnLInux debug.
Launch PlayOnLinux
Select Orbiter
Click Debug (instead of Run)
Copy paste the entire output
The only other "3D game" (?) that I ever tried on Linux Mint is SuperTuxKart, and it worked perfectly.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Did the Guide tell you to set this? "DirectDrawRenderer"="gdi"
I never use GDI, instead I use "default" or "opengl"
OpenGL is the best one

I have never seen errors like this before:
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/i965_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Normally it would show "i386-linux-gnu..."
But I've never seen i965-dri.so errors before
This has to be something with your video chipset.
Mint must be trying to use the wrong one or something. I will have to do some research.
You may want to go back to Ubuntu since it was working on that OS
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:Did the Guide tell you to set this? "DirectDrawRenderer"="gdi"
I never use GDI, instead I use "default" or "opengl"
OpenGL is the best one

I have never seen errors like this before:
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/i965_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Normally it would show "i386-linux-gnu..."
But I've never seen i965-dri.so errors before
This has to be something with your video chipset.
Mint must be trying to use the wrong one or something. I will have to do some research.
You may want to go back to Ubuntu since it was working on that OS
Well, I was troubleshooting so I have changed some of the options...

Here's another try after running in OpenGL and I'm including the whole playonlinux.log.
Booman

Post by Booman »

still no textures and bad frame rate with OpenGL?
Booman

Post by Booman »

(process:15625): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
[06/28/14 05:32:44] - Running wine-1.7.20 /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter/DeltaGliderIV-3_2010_20140109.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:33:28] - Running wine-1.7.20 /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter/UCGO30_2010_20140109.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:36:29] - Running wine-1.7.20 SoundConfig.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[06/28/14 05:36:54] - Running wine-1.7.20 Orbiter_ng.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
[06/28/14 05:38:31] - Running wine-1.7.20 Orbiter_ng.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
There are a lot of video related errors and even audio errors with ALSA
What is the exact model of your laptop and video chip?
I'm going to research if anyone else has problems with this model.

Have you installed 32ia-libs or multiarch per chance?
Those will provide 32-bit libraries to run games like this.
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:
(process:15625): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
[06/28/14 05:32:44] - Running wine-1.7.20 /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter/DeltaGliderIV-3_2010_20140109.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:33:28] - Running wine-1.7.20 /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter/UCGO30_2010_20140109.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/Desktop/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:36:29] - Running wine-1.7.20 SoundConfig.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:36:54] - Running wine-1.7.20 Orbiter_ng.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
[06/28/14 05:38:31] - Running wine-1.7.20 Orbiter_ng.exe (Working directory : /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Orbiter/drive_c/Orbiter)
There are a lot of video related errors and even audio errors with ALSA
What is the exact model of your laptop and video chip?
I'm going to research if anyone else has problems with this model.

Have you installed 32ia-libs or multiarch per chance?
Those will provide 32-bit libraries to run games like this.
Hmm, you sure that the errors above are still related despite being 9 months old?

My laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook LH772 with an Intel HD Graphics 400 chipset (CPU is the Core i5-3210M) and a NVidia GeForce GT 640M LE card. I'm quite sure that I have ia32-libs installed....
Booman

Post by Booman »

This blog AayJay's Blog has a lot of good information about your laptop and NVIDIA GT640M LE
I recommend trying Bumblebee in Mint and see if it can benefit your gaming experience.
I have no experience with this since I"m using a desktop.
Its worth a try at least. I still don't fully understand why Ubuntu worked out-of-the-box?
Did Ubuntu install drivers for you?

Feel free to post your problem in the GamersOnLinux.com forum.
Post here: PlayOnLInux
Feel free to link back here so you don't have to repeat yourself.
I think Daerandin might have some tips for you since he made the guide.
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

Booman wrote:This blog AayJay's Blog has a lot of good information about your laptop and NVIDIA GT640M LE
I recommend trying Bumblebee in Mint and see if it can benefit your gaming experience.
I have no experience with this since I"m using a desktop.
Its worth a try at least. I still don't fully understand why Ubuntu worked out-of-the-box?
Did Ubuntu install drivers for you?

Feel free to post your problem in the GamersOnLinux.com forum.
Post here: PlayOnLInux
Feel free to link back here so you don't have to repeat yourself.
I think Daerandin might have some tips for you since he made the guide.
Done: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... ator.1249/
Booman

Post by Booman »

Great, Daerandin will be great help for you. He may not be using Mint, but he knows Linux really well
Cosmic Penguin

Post by Cosmic Penguin »

As posted in the thread on the other forum, this problem has been solved. The problem lies with that I was not running bumblebee properly with PlayOnLinux and that means that I was using my integrated Intel chip for graphics, which caused the various problems above. I have now found the way to use the NVidia GPU for running Orbiter and it is now running smoothly. This problem does not occur in Ubuntu because it disabled my integrated graphics by default, while in Mint this does not occur.

Thanks! :D
Booman

Post by Booman »

Thank you for posting your solution here.
See if you can name this thread "[solved]"

Return to “Gaming”