Issues with Steam games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abdulhakim

Issues with Steam games

Post by abdulhakim »

So I've recently switched to Linux Mint from Win7, and I'm really liking it so far, but I'm having some odd issues with some Steam games that I hope you guys might be able to help me with.

My "main" game is CS:GO, which ran beautifully in Win7. However, when trying to run it in Linux Mint, my frame rate barely gets over 40-50fps, and my HUD just feels off. Like the scale is off, if that makes sense. Almost like the resolution is incorrect (although I did verify the correct resolution). I've tired turning down graphics settings and adjusting the HUD in the CS:GO settings, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference. The frame rate is still really choppy and it doesn't run as smoothly as it did in Win7.

I think it might possibly be a driver related issue.

I tried installing the AMD Catalyst (I know, I know, nVidia is better) Linux Drivers from their website (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... =Linux+x86), but this caused Cinnamon to crash every time afterwards. Luckily I was able to boot to text mode and remove the AMD Catalyst driver and everything works fine again.

What's odd is that the rest of my Steam games work great (HL2, HL2 E1, HL2 E2, CS:S, DoD:S, L4D2, Portal, TF2), even the newer games that seem to have the same graphics requirements that CS:GO would have (TF2, L4D2) run fine, but CS:GO still runs choppy and with the off-scale HUD.

I'm wondering if it's just an issue with CS:GO?

Also, CS:S only runs at ~60fps but I know my computer is capable of running at way higher than that

==

Another issue, albeit minor, is that the text/font size in the in-game chat in all my Steam games is really small and somewhat hard to read. It also affects some of the in-game menus. This seems to be happening across all my Steam games. There doesn't seem to be any font settings in the in-game GUI settings, so I assume this will probably have to be done from the Steam console.

Again, this isn't a huge deal, but if anyone knows if there's a Steam console command to adjust the text size, it would be much appreciated :)

I know there's a Linux command that displays my basic system info and specifically my graphics card, but I don't know what it is...Trying to find it...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abdulhakim

Re: Issues with Steam games

Post by abdulhakim »

Not sure if this helps anyone but my graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6790

I've tried installing AMD Catalyst for Linux from AMD's website, but this caused Cinnamon to crash and I had to boot to text mode in order to remove it: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... =Linux+x86

This also appears to be for 32 bit and I'm running 64 bit, not sure if that is causing an issue

I've found people with similar issues who have said that diabling vsync and multicore rendering has helped them, but this hasn't seem to have had any effect, fps still caps at 60 and stutters whenever I actually shoot anything in CS:GO

I had the exact same hardware when I was installing Windows, so I'm thinking this must be a driver issue, right?

The current driver that's in use, when I go to System Settings>Driver Manager, is:

xserver-xorg-video-ati
Version: 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1

I also have the options of:

fglrx
Version: 2:13.350.1-0ubuntu1

and

fglrx-updates
Version: 2:13.350.1-0ubuntu2

Driver Manager also says "No proprietary drivers in use"

However, if I try to switch to one of these other drivers in Driver Manager, nothing seems to happen or take place, it just stays on xserver-xorg-video-ati

I have also found on this thread that apparently Cinnamon is not as good as the other DE options:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=184007

Perhaps that is my problem, and I should switch to another Desktop?

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated :)
abdulhakim

Post by abdulhakim »

Switching to Xfce Desktop seems to have resolved the issue! Will update if more issues occur

EDIT:

Actually this did not resolve the issue. After tweaking the settings of the XFCE Desktop to how I wanted and then attempting to run Steam games again, the same problem occurs. CS:GO won't run above 60fps and stutters when I shoot and CS:S runs even slower than it was before :( Something must have happened in between running a completely stock XFCE desktop and tweaking the settings. I also chose to make XFCE the default DE, not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Did you have any more success with those AMD drivers?
Man I keep reading over and over about AMD Catalyst drivers performing bad in Linux.
I really wish they would get their act-together.

So many people are turned off by Linux gaming because their games don't run as well as in Windows, but the fault ended up being AMD drivers.
I rarely have problems with my Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti and it even an older card.

We would gain a lot more users if games would run on AMD cards.
I've read that newer video cards and the newer Catalyst runs fine, but how does that help all the gamers who are trying trial-run Linux on an older computer?
abdulhakim

Post by abdulhakim »

Booman wrote:Did you have any more success with those AMD drivers?
Man I keep reading over and over about AMD Catalyst drivers performing bad in Linux.
I really wish they would get their act-together.

So many people are turned off by Linux gaming because their games don't run as well as in Windows, but the fault ended up being AMD drivers.
I rarely have problems with my Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti and it even an older card.

We would gain a lot more users if games would run on AMD cards.
I've read that newer video cards and the newer Catalyst runs fine, but how does that help all the gamers who are trying trial-run Linux on an older computer?
Unfortunately no, I'm still having problems

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if I would have better results by just swapping out my card with an Nvidia card. But I don't really have enough extra money lying around to justify buying a new card right now. It seems that almost every Linux user uses Nvidia over AMD.

Perhaps AMD will get on board soon and improve their Linux support soon
Booman

Post by Booman »

That would be a HUGE step for Linux gaming if AMD could get their stuff-together.
I always feel sorry for those people testing Linux out because they are tired of window$ and then get turned-off because their games run worse.
All because of AMD drivers.
Well, maybe a GeForce 750 Ti for christmas?

Those 750 Ti's look really nice and are about $150.00
abdulhakim

Post by abdulhakim »

Booman wrote:That would be a HUGE step for Linux gaming if AMD could get their stuff-together.
I always feel sorry for those people testing Linux out because they are tired of window$ and then get turned-off because their games run worse.
All because of AMD drivers.
Well, maybe a GeForce 750 Ti for christmas?

Those 750 Ti's look really nice and are about $150.00
that's not too bad, might have to look into that. Should be a good upgrade from my Radeon HD 6790 lol
Megazell

Post by Megazell »

Is this issue ONLY with CS:GO or others?

What happens when you run a game like Sauerbraten http://sauerbraten.org/?

For some games like Natural Selection, Killing Floor and Serious Sam 3 - I had to go to their forums direct to resolve some specific issues with the game. Nothing major but little things here and there.

If you have more than 1 game doing the same type of error - it may be another issue.

Return to “Gaming”