What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Linux?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matoro

What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Linux?

Post by Matoro »

Topic says all! If you had to pick your top favorite games to be supported on Linux, what would it be? It could be anything! Including console games.

Here is my list:
- Grand Theft Auto 5
- Titanfall (series I guess)
- Halo series (who cares if it's Xbone exclusive)
- Super Mario 64 with HD remake mod! :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Booman

Re: What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Li

Post by Booman »

For me, its mostly older games like Far Cry series, Crysis series, Battlefield series.
I love those games and love the singleplayer campaigns.
Most of them run well in Wine, but its requires a lot of work, if only they were native to Linux
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

All of sid meirs civilization games. Civilization 5 runs natively in Linux (hooray!) but not sure about anything else in that series. Beyond Earth native to Linux would be especially cool. Also the Mass Effect series would be pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind Gears of War being on PC either. Dead Space would be neat too.

Beyond that, I like some shooter games. I mostly play counter strike global offensive/source (both are native to Linux, hooray!) but some games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and a lot of starwars games I wish had native linux ports.

Anyone know of any good first or third person shooters worth trying out? I like the more tactical, team based shooters. Must run natively on linux, or at least be easy to setup on WINE.
Petro Dawg

Post by Petro Dawg »

JohnBobSmith wrote:Anyone know of any good first or third person shooters worth trying out? I like the more tactical, team based shooters. Must run natively on linux, or at least be easy to setup on WINE.
Have you tried "Team Fortress 2"? Its available in steam with a native Linux install. Haven't tried it because it doesn't run on my gear, but heard it was good.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hm... I have team fortress 2 installed, I just havent played it in a really, REALLY long time. I may try TF2 in a bit, but not right now. Thats because War Thunder now has a Linux port on steam! Downloading now! :D
konjad

Post by konjad »

ArmA2 and GRID Autosport, because there is no realistic FPS nor decent race game for linux.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I also really like Fistful of Frags, thats a LOT of fun. It is a western shooter, simillar in art style to team fortress 2, but with iron sights! It has a native Linux port as well.

Other games i think should be ported to Linux are any good racing game. Need for speed series would be my choice, as well as the GRID series like konjad mentioned.

@konjad
Counter Strike has been ported to Linux (all versions of it AFAIK). Thats a really fun shooter. Have you ever tried it?
konjad

Post by konjad »

JohnBobSmith wrote: @konjad
Counter Strike has been ported to Linux (all versions of it AFAIK). Thats a really fun shooter. Have you ever tried it?
Yes, but I meant a shooter that is fairly realistic. There's a lot of decent arcade shooters for linux, Counter-Strike is one of them, however, there is nothing that has authentic combat.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Oh, so more like a simulator type thing? Yeah, good simulator games are hard to come by, especially for Linux. Maybe Americas Army in WINE or something.
Booman

Post by Booman »

The only authentic sim shooters I know of are America's Army and ARMA series.
I don't think either run in Linux natively, but it would be nice to have a port.
Specially of America's Army!

[edit] I stand corrected, America's Army DOES run in Linux. The 2.5 version has a native Linux port: America's Army
Click "Downloads" and select "Linux"
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

I want Civ 2 to be natively ported. Yeah I know the latest one has a native version but ever since they switched to the new engine from Civ 5 it never seems to run well on anything less than a supercomputer.

A least in Civ 2 you can have maps bigger than your back yard without the PC having a seizure. :lol:
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

The latest version of Civilization is Beyond Earth, which AFAIK does not have a port. However, Civilization 5 does have a linux port. I have Civ 5, and it runs well on my laptop. It takes a long time to load, but I definitely don't need a super computer to play Civ 5.

So another game I wish had a port would be Civilization: Beyond Earth. That would be so much fun. Civilization, but sci-fi! :D
Booman

Post by Booman »

After thinking about it, I would love to see the Elder Scrolls games ported to Linux.
I've spent countless hours in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim
konjad

Post by konjad »

Booman wrote:After thinking about it, I would love to see the Elder Scrolls games ported to Linux.
I've spent countless hours in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim
https://openmw.org/en/

Just Morrowind, but it's the best of the series anyway.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Yes, I've been following OpenMW
I'm waiting until version 1.0 to try it out.
All three run in PlayOnLinux really well, but it would still be nice to have native ports
MrTomLegit

Post by MrTomLegit »

Skyrim for sure, and some of the codemasters racing games: Grid series, and the F1 series.
RaicaCiprian

Post by RaicaCiprian »

does someone try Cossacks art for war on linux?

I try to run with wine, but it seems it give's me some issues.
jo3fis

Post by jo3fis »

The elder scrolls series come to mind first! I keep looking for some racing games that are available but not much so far.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I would love to see the Just Cause series run in Linux without Wine as well.
Just Cause 2 won't run at all in Wine because its Direct X 10 compatible only.
morphias

Post by morphias »

Matoro wrote:Topic says all! If you had to pick your top favorite games to be supported on Linux, what would it be? It could be anything! Including console games.

Here is my list:
- Grand Theft Auto 5
- Titanfall (series I guess)
- Halo series (who cares if it's Xbone exclusive)
- Super Mario 64 with HD remake mod! :P
I am with you for Halo and Super Mario. I actually tried running Halo Combat Evolved in wine and I got distorted graphics and couldn't actually get the game to run. It was the same kindof distortion i got with World of Warcraft which was fixed by using LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 but that would make rendering terrible. It has to do with the Intel graphics supposedly :(

Return to “Gaming”