Wasteland 2 vs Divinity: OS

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JusTertii

Wasteland 2 vs Divinity: OS

Post by JusTertii »

OK, who's played Wasteland 2 and/or Divinity: Original Sin?

I'd like to give them a whirl. AFAIK, both will run, and both *look* quite fun. However, I can afford to buy/play one of them. Has anyone got a recommendation as to which to choose?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matoro

Re: Wasteland 2 vs Divinity: OS

Post by Matoro »

I don't either. Neither of those games appeal to me in my opinion. Too slow paced. :) I'm more of a competitive FPS type of gamer.

But if had to make a recommendation for you, I would have to pick whatever allows modding support or has planned dlc. Just because it simply makes the game lasts longer.
konjad

Post by konjad »

Wasteland 2 has native linux port. Divinity OS is supposed to have one by the end of the year.

Both games are great, but overall I think I'd rate DOS over WL2 because of its great combat system. WL2 has better atmosphere, setting and writing though.

Get both ;) You might want to wait for native linux port of DOS before purchasing it though, so get WL2 now and DOS later.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think I played WL2 80% through; initially the game sucked me in but to me the latter part of the story just wasn't as good as the first half and I got tired of the micro-management of skills and inventory, and the challenges became repetitive and boring. Admittedly I don't care that much for involving game mechanics and would rather have less to manage character, inventory and challenge wise and spend more time enjoying the story, visuals, and audio :lol:

I've not played Divinity: OS. I think my hardware (Intel HD Graphics 3000) won't be enough to run it.

I enjoyed playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall a lot. IIRC, next week will see the Linux release of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition. I've not played that before so might be a nice change from WL2. Pillars of Eternity early next year is also on my watch list.
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Matoro wrote:I don't either. Neither of those games appeal to me in my opinion. Too slow paced. :) I'm more of a competitive FPS type of gamer.
Ok, any really good FPS games you'd recommend? Ideally with new-ish graphics?
konjad wrote:Get both ;) You might want to wait for native linux port of DOS before purchasing it though, so get WL2 now and DOS later.
If only! I've only got enough money for one, and I'm not going to pirate a DRM-free game - not to mention that I only really have time to get into one. I'm not over-worried about linux nativity for games (sorry guys) because my gaming rig runs windows (don't have room/effort to install a linux partition... and I hate GRUB). Although, before the hate-posts flood in, I hasten to mention that my laptop runs Mint 17, and hardly ever boots into Windows - for the simple reason that the battery lasts longer, and it's a nicer OS. Anyway.
konjad wrote:Both games are great, but overall I think I'd rate DOS over WL2 because of its great combat system. WL2 has better atmosphere, setting and writing though.
OK, sounds like a close call. Does DOS play a bit like Dragon Age et al? Is the writing etc good on DOS, or quite cliche?
xenopeek wrote: I got tired of the micro-management of skills and inventory, and the challenges became repetitive and boring.
Well, I think the micro-management's decided it for me - Divinity it is!
xenopeek wrote:I enjoyed playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall a lot. IIRC, next week will see the Linux release of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition. I've not played that before so might be a nice change from WL2. Pillars of Eternity early next year is also on my watch list.
Well if you like RPGs, there's Legend of Grimrock 2 just come out on gog.com. That looks quite good.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I enjoyed Legend of Grimrock, though the classes where a bit messed up. Legend of Grimrock 2 looks to be Windows only though? http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock_2
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

xenopeek wrote:I enjoyed Legend of Grimrock, though the classes where a bit messed up. Legend of Grimrock 2 looks to be Windows only though? http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock_2
Yeah, but in the comments, one poster says:
So far I am in the early part of the game but I wanted to let Linux users know that it does work. By using wine 1.7.26 and installing dxfullsetup the game has been running fine.
So that sounds promising! Although I'd have to run that on my (old) gaming rig, as I doubt my laptop would handle the specs. 1GB graphics card? On an old Lenovo? Nah, just won't happen.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The first thing installing Wine does is setting it so all plain text documents are opened with Notepad :| And you open yourself up to Windows viruses. I'll stick to native Linux games and skip all that insanity :wink: In any case, I only have Intel HD Graphics so sounds like I wouldn't be able to run it either...

Return to “Gaming”