trouble running SIms 3

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Re: trouble running SIms 3

Post by space_jeff »

after all this, I've decided to just keep my old computer, reinstall XP on it and JUST use it for playing Sims 3 as I couldn't get the game to install on the XP virtual machine.

I'll basically strip everything out of my old machine that I don't need to run the game and keep all my files on an external HD.

I sure hope they make Sims 4 playable on Linux...
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

*Update*

so my old computer wouldn't accept XP 32bit because it's a 64 bit system so I am SOL all the way 'round. Whatever.

It's just too bad because I had some really cool houses on there!
Booman

Post by Booman »

XP can install on a 64-bit CPU
I have a feeling XP is having a hard time because of the Hard Drive. Its probably a SATA drive and the BIOS has to be set as "legacy" hard drive.
The drivers on the XP disc don't like the new SATA drives and do no support them.

Otherwise, looks like you are stuck with Linux on that computer.
I'm having the same problems.
People give me their old desktops and laptops... but XP won't install, so from now on its Linux Mint all the way!
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

so I decided to try Sims 3 again on my new machine via Wine. I made sure it was a newer, stable version of Wine and went about installing the game, which went smoothly. All the files are there and everything looked good, but when I click to open the game, the little spinning icon shows up like it's loading, that lasts for about 5 seconds and then poof.... nothing happens. I even tried launching the game from the .exe file in the Sims 3 folder and nothing.

Any suggestions? I perhaps haven't configured Wine properly?
Booman

Post by Booman »

What are the specs of your new machine?
Is it 64-bit Linux?
You may have to install 32-bit libraries to run games like Sims 3

Also, see if you can send me a debug or error output.
This would help to know what the problem is.

Are you using Wine alone or PlayOnLinux?
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

Booman wrote:What are the specs of your new machine?
Is it 64-bit Linux?
You may have to install 32-bit libraries to run games like Sims 3

Also, see if you can send me a debug or error output.
This would help to know what the problem is.

Are you using Wine alone or PlayOnLinux?
if you can tell me how to access all that information, I'd be happy to post it for you. I'm pretty sure I'm using 53 bit lunix Mint 17.

right now I'm using Wine. I don't think I have playonlinux.
Booman

Post by Booman »

53 bit?
When you downloaded Mint 17, did you save it on your desktop or somewhere?
The bit will be in the name, it will either say 64 or 32.

Ah, ok I think we can start over with PlayOnLinux if you are willing to start over once again.

Just download the .deb file from here: PlayOnLInux 4.2.4
Save it to your desktop
Double-click it
Install with Software Installer

If you need help with the basic steps for installing a game manually, read over some of these guides: GamersOnLinux
We walk you through the basic steps of setting up PlayOnLinux, Configuring Wine, downloading Wine versions, installing your game and configuring your game.

It way easier to use than Wine by itsself and you can test Sims with different versions of Wine on the fly.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

haha, 53 bit... I should have noticed that. it's 64 bit. I did not download it, my friend had already installed it on this machine before he gave it to me.

Ok, so I clicked the link you gave me and it said I already had it even though I never saw it in any menus....? then it said "PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32bits OpenGL libraries. You might encounter problem with your games" but the program opened.

so now I'm staring at this thing and it says install programs and some other stuff but there is nothing in the field. I click install programs and another window pops up with a bunch of categories so I click "games" and a giant list of games pops up. The only game I have on my computer is SIMS 3 so I don't know what the heck they are doing there. However, I cannot find Sims 3. There are several Sims 3 add-ons, but no Sims 3. What the heck is going on? Why can't I choose to install the game that's already on my damn computer? WHY IS THIS SO HARD????

please help as I'm about to crack the Sims 3 disc in half.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Ok that error makes sense. Its because you don't have 32-bit libraries installed to play games. Most games are only 32-bit compatible, specially older games.
Don't crack the disk in half yet.

You don't have to use manual installation, but its helpful because it walks you through everything that is necessary for games and PlayOnLinux.

The main problem is probably E.A.'s Origin client. You know how Steam games use Steam to download, install and run games?
This is what Origin is...
Basically the same thing but from EA
The main problem is Origin doesn't run all that great in Wine or PlayOnLinux.
So even if you get Origin and the game installed, this doesn't mean it will run.

I have been testing games in PlayOnLinux for over a year now and some games require a lot more work to get it running.
Hence the guides at www.gamersonlinux.com
I don't want people to suffer getting their games running like I did. So I walk you through it step-by-step.
Unfortunately I don't have Sims 3, so you are treading new ground and may have to install it many times and try different things to get Origin and Sims 3 running.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

I appreciate your patience, Booman.

I don't understand because the game is already installed on my computer. Do I have to take it off and reinstall it through PlayonLinux? I don't have Origin on my computer and I don't know what Steam is.

I've seen vids on youtube where people are running Sims 3 in Wine and it runs perfect but I haven't been able to get it going and I don't know why. If you can tell me what I need to do to try on PlayonLinux, I'll do it but so far nothing has worked.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Here is what my friend says about Sims 3:
It doesn’t work completely but he can at least get the correct wine prefix. I took some one else s script and modified it to enable Origin download version but the dvd version is also enabled. Of course the dvd uses copy protection and the script doesn’t have a way to get around that.Once you login to Origin you need to manually click on The sims3 game. Even if you have the disk version you can still use the digital version instead, if it is registered. After waiting a bit you can agree to the legal stuff and then the download begins. It probably be a long time before it even shows one percent and will probably take about 72 hours of download time to get it all! - Good thing the bandwidth is on EA Lol! -. I'd recommend a weekend or something where you don't need to interrupt the computer.

Great I tried to upload the script and got a file type not allowed error. What file extension will work?
So there is a chance it might work, but you have to jump through a LOT of hoops and it still won't run perfectly.
If its worth it to you, I can try to walk you through the manual installation in PlayOnLinux, but I don't actually own the game, so I will have a hard time troubleshooting it.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

hey Booman, thanks for your help in this thread but I'm not savvy enough to get through all that.

I'm just gonna forget about it and wait until I get a new mac. It's not worth all this trouble!

Cheers.
Last edited by space_jeff on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Agreed. Sucks because there are a LOT games that run fine in Linux, just Sims 3 has some issues.
There are a few random problematic games, otherwise I've had mostly success.
Feel free to post if want to try Windows games in Mac with PlayOnMac.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

ok, so I had some trouble with my machine the last few days but now things are back to normal.

Another poster in another thread suggested that I run Windows in VirtualBox, do you think that will work?
Booman

Post by Booman »

Windows will work but games will probably be really slow. Depending on the game of course.
Virtualbox has to run Windows in Linux so its going to require a lot of CPU usage to do both at the same time.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

If I were to install another hard drive, say a small SSD, could install and boot windows from that? I've tried partitioning my HD and installing XP to 'dual boot' but it doesn't like my drive for some reason. SSDs are cheap these days and it would be really fast too. 128Gb would be more than enough and I have no need to run both OSs at the same time.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Yes, this is what I have on my Linux machine.
Windows 7 250GB drive & Mint 17 128GB SSD
Both on separate hard drives. works perfectly, but make sure to install Windows first.
Then Install Linux second. Otherwise Grub can have problems booting to Windows and its a total pain to set it right.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

cool, that's probably what I'll end up doing then.

thanks for all your help!
Booman

Post by Booman »

No problem, post any questions you have!
gowikel

Post by gowikel »

Maybe is a little late, but the problem is that you need the S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) library. If you install it the problem will be resolved (all as you installed it first). So search a package called libtxc_dxtn or similar and install it. I think you will need to install 32 bits version of that library too if you are running a 64 bits OS.

I'm sorry for don't tell you the exact name of the library hear en Linux Mint, but, I am running Arch Linux. I was installing the sims 3 on my pc and I wasn't able to remember the library that i need to play this game, so i was looking it on internet when i found your post.

Return to “Gaming”