Logging Steam crashes?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PureForceX

Logging Steam crashes?

Post by PureForceX »

Hello commuminty :wink:

I'm new to linux so I'd greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction regarding application crash/error logging.

Installing Steam on Mint 15 was painless, however, the Steam app seems to crash about 10 seconds after I select a game from the store's featured linux games list (store > games > linux).
The game's info page will load, display, then crash a few seconds later. I would like to log this crash somehow.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PureForceX

Re: Logging Steam crashes?

Post by PureForceX »

I've been poking around / and /var/proc/<steamProcID>/ looking for any signs of a log file with no such luck.
XenPanda

Re: Logging Steam crashes?

Post by XenPanda »

Generally to find out what made a program crash I just run it through terminal, I know it's kinda late but I hope it helps.

For steam you would just type steam in the terminal. Granted doing it this way will cause that terminal to be dedicated to the program it's running and unless you put the job in the background, you will be unable to do anything else. Also if you close the terminal it will terminate the application (steam in this case) as well.

I have the same issue and since I ran it from terminal it seems to not be doing that anymore.

Return to “Gaming”