Need help with game. Star Wars Empire at War, Wont Install

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keredo

Need help with game. Star Wars Empire at War, Wont Install

Post by Keredo »

Hi!
I need help.
I have a Lenovo laptop and I use to run Windows 8 on it. Now that I've switched to Linux Mint, I would like to install all my old games and I've been having problems. One of the problems I've been having is with the game "Star Wars: Empire at War. Gold Edition0." I have Play on Linux, but I cant seem to find it on the list. I also have wine (1.6.2) and that seemed to work with bringing up the installation screen. When I mouse-over one of the buttons (install), it makes a noise acknowledging the selection but when I click, nothing happens. I've been trying to find a solution to this through google and searching Linux Mint Forums, but no luck.

Can someone help.
Here is some information on my computer:

Linux Mint 17.2Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version 2.6.13
Linux Kernel 3.16.0-38 generic
Processor is: Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70 GHz x 2
Memory 5.7 GiB
Hard Drive 473.8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bladeforce

Re: Need help with game. Star Wars Empire at War, Wont Insta

Post by Bladeforce »

It works fine for me in wine 1.5.31, installer and all. Just had to set d3d9x_36.dll to native in winecfg
Booman

Post by Booman »

I read on WineHQs that you need a no-cd crack to run Empire at War. Is that what you used?
Keredo

Post by Keredo »

I have no idea what d3d9x_36.dll is. I'm sorry.

and

I don't know if I was using No CD installer. I don't know how to do any of that.
Booman

Post by Booman »

No problem, sounds like you have a CD/DVD of Star Wars Empire at War correct?

Start by installing Wine:
1. Menu
2. Software Manager
3. Search for Wine
4. Install Wine

Next, lets update PlayOnLinux to the newest version: 4.2.9
1. Go to: www.playonlinux.com
2. Click Download
3. Click Ubuntu
4. Click the very first link: PlayOnLinux_4.2.9.deb
5. Save to your Desktop
6. Double-click to install (Make sure you closed Software Manager first)
7. Enter password
8. Wait while PlayOnLinux installs

Now you have the newest version of PlayOnLinux.

Launch PlayOnLinux
Click Install
Search for Star Wars Empire at War
If its not on the list, then there is no installer for it.
Unfortunately this means you will have to do a manual installation yourself.

I have been performing manual installations for a few years now and it works great, but you will have to know what to select for each step.
Some games work just fine out-of-the-box, but other games could be a complete pain...
There is some information here at Wine HQ but this is for Wine alone. PlayOnLinux make installing games with Wine much easier, so I normally go to WineHQ's just to get some tips.

If you want to learn more about PlayOnLinux, there are a bunch of detailed information here: GamersOnLinux

Unfortunately, there are literally tens-of-thousands of games for PC and its hard for PlayOnLinux staff to script every single one.
Hence why I do a lot of manual installations myself.
Let me know if you want to give it a try and I'll post a short walkthrough of a manual installation
If you read any Guide on GamersOnLinux (they are all manual installations) you will see exactly how we install games that aren't listed on PlayOnLinux.
Schmalgar

Post by Schmalgar »

Hey bud,

Regarding his statement about making d3dx9_36.dll native in winecfg... I had to do the same for AOE III... You just open 'Wine configuration' and go to 'Libraries' tab. Type 'd3dx9_36.dll' in the New Override field then click 'Add' and you should see a new entry appear in the 'Existing overrides' section for it, flagged as (native, builtin). I also had to download a different version of the dll file from dll-files.com, and copy it to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and /windows/syswow64...
Booman

Post by Booman »

The only time I've had to use the over-ride is when the library isn't available in PlayOnLinux, which is rare
PlayOnLinux packages pretty much provide almost all the libraries you need for directx9 gaming
directx 10 & 11 coming soon
Keredo

Post by Keredo »

Booman

I would love for you to post a walk through of the manual install.
I looked on PlayOnLinux and it doesn’t seem to be on the list.

Thanks.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I would love to, but I don't own the game.

Return to “Gaming”