Steam with NVIDIA Optimus

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evenadam

Steam with NVIDIA Optimus

Post by evenadam »

Does anybody know the procedure for running steam games with the NVIDIA gpu in a laptop with an Intel/NVIDIA hybrid system on Mint Cinnamon 17.1? I managed to do it fine using bumblebee in Ubuntu a while ago, but it just won't work on Mint. I've been trying for about 10 hours (including a complete reinstall of Mint), and I've tried everything I've found from Googling, but everything just makes it worse (now I can't get Mint to detect the NVIDIA card at all). I'm going to do another fresh install tomorrow, so I'd appreciate it if anybody could tell me exactly what they did to get it to work.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Steam with NVIDIA Optimus

Post by Ryu945 »

I had the same problem. I eventually solved it and wrote this guide: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... us#p974152
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

There is no mention of steam there.

Does anybody know how to get Steam working with bumblebee?
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ryu945 »

You run steam in play on linux. The fix I described for league of legends. Do that for steam.
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

Oh, I see. Thanks, but I want to run the native linux steam client.
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

Seriously, has nobody else had a problem with this?
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

If any Googlers find this, and are having a problem with launching Valve Source games with optirun/primusrun (the terminal saying something like "malloc: assertion botched"), I think I have solved this on my laptop with Intel/Nvidia hybrid graphics (the Nvidia card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M and I am running linux mint 17.1 cinnamon with all updates installed).

I did the following:

First uninstall everything that could conflict:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia* bumblebee* bbswitch* primus*
(it maybe useful to add virtualgl* to the above command. I didn't because I knew for certain I didn't have virtualgl installed.)

Follow the no-install-recommends method given here with a slight modification:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends bumblebee
sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-331
sudo apt-get install primus 
sudo apt-get install primus-libs-ia32
(I used nvidia-331 because it is the driver recommended to me by Mint's driver manager)

Then, rename the 64-bit primus library for safe-keeping

sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1.bak
(If this method causes problems with other 64-bit programs, I guess this will be the step to reverse)

Then, create a symbolic link in its place to the 32bit primus library

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1
Since doing this I have tried TF2 and L4D2 without problems.

EDIT: I should add, I have to use 'primusrun' or 'optirun -b primus' for this to work.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ryu945 »

In case there instruction are not clear to you. The link I gave also discusses how to install nvidia optimus and bumblebee. It also talks about how to fix the launch shortcut so that it runs linux steam with the nvidia graphics card and not the intel graphics card.
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
SpookyWatcher
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SpookyWatcher »

evenadam wrote:Seriously, has nobody else had a problem with this?
Yup...here you go. Step by step. Works butter smooth! hope it helps. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=198251

An important part for me was...I HAD to uninstall Steam AND my local content. I had to reinstall Steam Native and re-download my games. I just backed up my save games and put them back when done installing.

Spooky

Return to “Gaming”