How do I get launch feedback for slow programs in Mate?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fpeelo
Level 2
Level 2

How do I get launch feedback for slow programs in Mate?

Post by fpeelo »

So I set up the family computer to use Mint 17 + Mate. Tried Cinnamon, but the computer is too slow (it's a passively cooled Intel Atom thing so that it can be quiet enough to stay in the living room). We mostly like Mate, except when things aren't fast enough...

Complaint I get about the computer is, if someone double-clicks Firefox or Thunderbird (there are other slow programs but these are the ones that get used most). You double-click them, and nothing happens. I would expect that at least the mouse cursor would change for a few seconds. Because the double-click may have been wrong - the clicks might have been too slow so not recognised as a double-click, or something like that. So when there is no such indication, and the program hasn't started after a couple of seconds (Thunderbird takes over 10 seconds to start) you come to think that you did something wrong with your double-click. It's frustrating, and causes tension in the user, who double-clicks again.

So how do I turn on the launch feedback? It surely must be there, it cannot be a new feature, even Windows 3 could do it...

Frank
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How do I get launch feedback for slow programs in Mate?

Post by all41 »

When I launch from the menu the menu closes
When I launch from a desktop icon the icon text gets a background color.
What do you launch without feedback?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
necromonger

Post by necromonger »

How old is your computer?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

That was one of the things I liked in Xandros with KDE: when you clicked on the shortcut for an application, the icon for that app would follow the cursor around for a programmable length of time. I hope somebody can answer your question (and that the answer works on Cinnamon, too).
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

How old is your computer?
not new--but FF opens in about 2 seconds--same with TB
(Thunderbird takes over 10 seconds to start
I would not put up with this
fpeelo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fpeelo »

The computer was not designed as a games machine, I bought it with the idea that it should be quiet. It's in the living room. So no fans, passive cooling, processor is an Atom. I don't mind that it's slow, but I did get complaints about launching firefox multiple times.

The problem is with icons on the desktop. The text goes background colour when they are SINGLE clicked. It is not an indication that you double-clicked properly, and if you have problems with the fingers, that's where it goes wrong. You try to double click, maybe the second wasn't registered by the mouse, or maybe you've clicked twice but too far apart to be counted a double-click.
When the menu is used, it's not such a problem because the menu closes, which is something.

Weird thing is, Thunderbird now has launch feedback. I was certain it didn't. Maybe I was wrong. When the Thunderbird icon is double-clicked, the mouse cursor turns into a little wheel thing, so that's good. But Firefox doesn't. There must be some setting somewhere to say that double-clicked icons get the different mouse icon, but I can't figure out what it is.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Maybe you would prefer single click option. When you hover the cursor on an icon the color gets lighter and when you click
the text background changes color to indicate that the app has launched.
This option can be set in Control Center/File Management/Behaviour
fpeelo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fpeelo »

Might try that. But... I'm curious. Where does the launch feed back come from? Is it from Mate or from the application? Because if I double-click Thunderbird, it definitely changes the mouse cursor to a spinning disc thing, which is perfect. Is there a setting in Mate that does that, or is Thunderbird telling the mouse cursor to change? - in which case, complaining to Mozarilla might be the way to go.

Return to “MATE”