Unable to run a binary (Solved)

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert leleu

Unable to run a binary (Solved)

Post by robert leleu »

Here is what happens

Code: Select all

leleu@leleu-portable ~/thunderbird $ ls thunderbird -al
-rwxr-xr-x 1 leleu leleu 109640 juil. 18 03:25 thunderbird
leleu@leleu-portable ~/thunderbird $ ./thunderbird
bash: ./thunderbird: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type= No file or repertory of this type

This thunderbird repertory is the last one (31)
I want to try it because, after a reinstall of Mint 16, I'm stuck with Th 24.6.0 which has no associated Lightning, so I can no more read my agenda.

Thanks for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Unable to run a binary

Post by ktheking »

Your problem description is a bit fuzzy here.

If you're trying to start Thunderbird , can you try to do this instead ?

/usr/bin/thunderbird

Or are you trying to remove a previous version of thunderbird here ?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Running /usr/bin/thunderbird would most likely start Tb 24.6.0, which is apparently the only one Mint 16 provides (this is why I stopped using packaged Mozilla products ages ago - you can never trust distros to keep up).

Robert, what you're trying to achieve should work. I'm surprised it doesn't and particularly puzzled by the response you're getting from the terminal. You're trying to execute the right file, which appears to have the right permissions. What happens if you use the complete path (i.e. /home/leleu/thunderbird/thunderbird)?

I assume you've set this up by downloading the tarball from Mozilla's site and unpacking it in your home directory. Did the unpacking work correctly? There should be around 47 items (directories and files) in the directory ~/thunderbird.

Are you sure you've used the right tarball? The 32 bit one should work on both 32 and 64 bit systems, but the 64 bit one will cause problems if your machine is 32 bit.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

grizzler wrote:Running /usr/bin/thunderbird would most likely start Tb 24.6.0, which is apparently the only one Mint 16 provides (this is why I stopped using packaged Mozilla products ages ago - you can never trust distros to keep up).
Especially when you keep using an outdated and unsupported release... which hence will never again be in par with anything.
robert leleu

Post by robert leleu »

@ grizzler

my machine is 64 bits
the tarball is http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.n ... .0.tar.bz2 a 32bits since going up the link one find a http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.n ... ux-x86_64/
/usr/bin/thunderbird indeed is 24.6.0
The difficulty arise from a reinstall of Mint16 (because of sound problems)
The full path no more works

Code: Select all

leleu@leleu-portable ~ $ /home/leleu/thunderbird/thunderbird
bash: /home/leleu/thunderbird/thunderbird: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
It seems (from other problems) that I made some error when mounting my sdb1 as home (the reinstalled system is on sda1)

I just burned a new live DVD Mint17 64 (KDE) and will reinstall.

Just say me «bonne chance» (bonan ŝancon.... en esperanto)

Multajn dankojn
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

OK. Veel succes (that's bonne chance in Dutch :wink: ).
Multajn dankojn
Graag gedaan (Dutch again...).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This is easily remedied. The clue is you have a 64 bits installation of Linux Mint, and this must be a 32 bits binary. When you have no 32 bits system libraries installed, or more specifically missing the 32 bits version of the "granddaddy" library for C programs called glibc, then the program can't even complain about the 32 bits system libraries it is missing. When you at least install the 32 bits version of glibc, the program would instead have complained about what other 32 bits system libraries it needed to run :)

Linux Mint 17 has a package called ia32-libs. If you install that you get a large set of the most commonly needed 32 bits system libraries so that you can in the future run most 32 bits programs you download (like games from HumbleBundle sometimes don't come in 64 bits versions).

But yeah, use the 64 bits download next time :wink:
robert leleu

Post by robert leleu »

thanks for this clear explanation, which I'll not test sinc I'm now running Mint17 (ia32-libs was activated during the install)

Solved

Return to “Scripts & Bash”