installing compiz

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Capodastro

installing compiz

Post by Capodastro »

Hallo, one more newbie what means some more patience for older members! Sorry and thanks!
On Lisa 64 bit KDE, nvidia graphic driver working, 19000 frames/sec., fresh install with native Compiz packages deleted.

I would like to install Emerald, what means also Compiz 8.7 instead 9.5. Is that possible and which repos should I bind to?
How to get a list of usable repos and eventually some info about the contents?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: installing compiz

Post by zerozero »

hi Capodastro,,
On Lisa 64 bit KDE
if you are using KDE (apart from the answer "i want because i can :D ") is there any special reason to use compiz instead of kwin?

for me (and it's just my personal opinion kwin is faster, lighter and has all the customization you are looking)

regarding emerald, i'm afraid not, emerald doesn't run in KDE (unless you are prepared for some heavy hacking) but you should have Smaragd in the repos (look for it in synaptic)
some info about Smaragd
Capodastro

Post by Capodastro »

SOLVED!
Install Compiz and emerald, for Lisa 64 KDE users:

Software Manager - search "compiz"
install all what is NOT i386 or gnome

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emerald

CompizConfigSettingsManager (ccsm): kde compatibility, kde/qt event loop, gnome compatibility are deadly. D-Bus is OK
In the plugin Window Decoration, under Command, put "emerald --replace"

In System Settings --> Default Applications --> Window Manager just select Compiz.
Scripts for starting Fusion-Icon resulted to be deadly.

A reboot and everything should work. By problems delete ~/.config/compiz-1 and ~/.config/compiz, what resets the compiz configuration. In this case don't forget to reselect also "Move Window" and "Resize Window" in ccsm.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Zerozero, thanks for your quick answer and good advice. No, I am not a spoiled linux user :wink: . I use suse since 9.3. Today I had to deal firs time with ubuntu and family. In the free time I take care of friends laptops and pcs, a lot of machines. I do that hoping to get a little place in paradise, like You probabily do also. Don't worry, in such a case we will be exonerated from the duty of playng arp, we will play on a laptop. I have 2 laptops on the nack, and suse is uninstallable (nvidia). One belongs to my wife (panic). She uses it for professional composing and printing of didactic music material. She is very strict, for example I had to delete libreoffice replacing it with openoffice. She uses compiz, zooms and don't ask me what else. My project is to install Lisa so that everything will look identic like before and she never will remark that she runs another distro. Linux Mint made me a good impression and after checking with the live CD I decided to adopt it. Like you see I am a real newbie.
My first problem: I didn't imagine that the ubuntu community developped a new emerald version, 9.5. My second problem: I found in the web an amazing amount of sauvage ubuntu repositories. Well, this ubuntu compiz is not so polished and superfast like in the rpm world, but still makes kde running a bit better. Finally, I am planning to install Lisa also on my machine, Lisa looks clean, realable and solid. I made some stress tests :mrgreen: But let me now check what about printing. Of course no idea about gnome, never tried.
Thanks again.
Capodastro

Post by Capodastro »

I don't have polemic intentions.
The years are over and Compiz is still present in the reposittories. A reason must be!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

If you really are using Linux Mint 12 Lisa: please replace it *as soon as possible* with a Mint version that's still getting updates. :shock:

Linux Mint 12 is as dead as a doornail. No more updates. And therefore highly insecure to use.

Potential replacements: Mint 13 (it's an LTS), Mint 17 or Mint 17.1.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”