can't add conkyhardcore ppa, not supported by trusty

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Simbaclaws

can't add conkyhardcore ppa, not supported by trusty

Post by Simbaclaws »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the following packages on my linux mint 17.3 system: conky-all conkyemail conkyforecast.
However I can not add the conkyhardcore ppa to my system because it's not supported by trusty.
How do I get these packages installed on my system without the ppa? I've tried searching for the code on launchpad but the pages seem to be missing so I can't install them by building from source...
Does anyone know of an alternative way to get these installed? Or am I doomed?
I've already tried asking this on conky irc channels and conky mailing list but I'm getting no responses.

I really hope someone can help me get these on my system, I need it for a conky configuration called conky ken.

EDIT: conky-all seems to be in the repos so I got that one installed already, I only need conkyemail and conkyforecast
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: can't add conkyhardcore ppa, not supported by trusty

Post by xenopeek »

The Conky Hardcore website is now directing you to adult material. So there is likely no other source for this dead project. If you must have it, you could try downloading the source or packages files (whichever you prefer) for the last supported Ubuntu version: https://launchpad.net/~conkyhardcore/+a ... lter=natty
Simbaclaws

Post by Simbaclaws »

Would those last supported ubuntu version work on my linux mint 17.3 system though? Someone in the linux mint support channel just told me that there is no way to get them installed on my system and could even break my current install of linux mint.
If all of this fails I'll have to remove the weather forecast and email configurations and only use system cpu and such :(

EDIT: I just installed the .deb packages with sudo dpkg -i how can I check whether they work on my system? should I just try running the conky ken configuration and see what happens?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

First off, conkyforecast is as dead as dog poop.
The API is constantly being changed to inhibit weather collection using things like conkyforecast.py
Very few people have it working, last time I checked.
Mine worked for years where others' did not.

You want cpu stats and weather?

Code: Select all

inxi -C  # cpu info

inxi -W <zipcode_or station>
# example: inxi -W 90210
# exmaple: inxi -xxxW Mumbai,India
I don't code conky any more. but if I had to advocate a tool for the job, it would be conky-manager
It produces some nice conkys|conkies in a short amount of time with little, if any coding.

inxi -CW xxxxx
functionality can easily be inserted into a custom conkyrc such as the one conky-manager produces.
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

Simbaclaws wrote:EDIT: conky-all seems to be in the repos so I got that one installed already, I only need conkyemail and conkyforecast
As Habitual said: conkyForecast is dead. conkyEmail still works, I'm using it with Debian 8. If you can't add the PPA you can at least get the files you need here at the newer conky companions PPA. It's not being updated any longer, but as I said, I'm using conkyEmail and conkyMisc from there.

conkyMisc has:
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkyDateDiff.py
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkyDatetimeDiff.py
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkyDaysDiff.py
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkyLatLong.py
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkySlideshow.py
/usr/share/conkymisc/conkyText.py

I don't know what this "conky ken" config is you are using but some nice weather scripts can be seen here:
» Conky weather+moon scripts (Accuw/WUndergr/NWS/MoonGiant)
Last edited by Sector11 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

I am using conkyForecast right now with Mint Mate 17.3,
Mint Cinnamon 17.3, Debian 8, Ubuntu Unity 15.10,
Mint Isadora, and Kubuntu LTS, and it's working quite well.
It may be a dead project, but it sure does the job in my conky
and shows me the storms on their way.

To each their own.

Bill
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

Iamwithin wrote:I am using conkyForecast right now
Is it from one of the PPA's (companion is newer than conkyhardcore) or did you get an updated conkyForecast script from the Ubuntu forum conkyForecast thread?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”