Compiz in 17.3 Rosa Mate not really working

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Compiz in 17.3 Rosa Mate not really working

Post by kanichiro »

Compiz switch.png
Hello,
I am not able to get Compiz to work as the release states. I wanted to see what the Compiz Cube looks like but cannot get it to display. I also performed a reset for Compiz but that did not get anything to work. About the only thing I've managed to get to work in Compiz is the Wobbly Windows that I don't want, I was just turning things on in an effort to get something to work. 17.3 Mate comes with Compiz already installed.

Background: I just upgraded to "Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa with the Mate desktop." I have upgraded for several of the past releases, but have not performed a clean install for the past 18-months or more.

Am I not turning on something I should to get the Cube to display?

Thanks for any and all help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
theStreak

Re: Compiz in 17.3 Rosa Mate not really working

Post by theStreak »

Does it work when running 17.3 from a live CD? Was it working for you in 17.2? Can you not rotate the cube at all (using ctrl-alt-left/right)?
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

Thanks for the reply...

I never tried Compiz in 17.2. I upgraded from 17.2 to 17.3 via the Internet using System Update, not by a CD/DVD. I guess I could download 17.3 and burn it to DVD and try the live version to see if that works.

As far as the Cube is concerned, I do not even see a Cube! I turned on every switch I could find for cubes to see if I could get a cube to display, but none ever did.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do (try it on a live DVD to establish that it works on a clean install). So, ctrl-alt-left/right doesn't even work (assuming that's the correct key binding defined to access the prior/next workspace)? Do you have four workspaces defined (and not say, just two)? I think that might cause the cube to not work... As for actually "seeing" the cube, be sure to set the zoom parameter under the "Rotate Cube" plugin to a non-zero amount (for me, 0.2 works well). With that set, you should be able to view the cube using a ctrl-alt left mouse drag. Hope this helps.
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

Almost there...

I now have what looks like a "full-screen" cube that I can rotate left or right using the CTRL-ALT plus the left/right Arrow keys. I assume I need to change some settings somewhere so the "cube" is smaller than the desktop so it looks like the screen shots I've seen on the net.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

That would be the "zoom" setting of the "Rotate Cube" plugin. Something around 0.2 works for me but you may want to go higher (like 0.5) for it to show the entire cube. You'll likely also want to configure the cube to be transparent on rotation. That's the "Opacity During Rotation" setting of the "Desktop Cube" plugin. :)
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

It's getting there, but it still does not look anything like the cube in the attachment I posted.
PS: That image was grabbed from the net...

One thing I have discovered is that I really need to do a fresh install of Linux. In my Control Center I have duplicates of several items which no doubt comes from installing a new version update after new version update from the Update manager without reformatting and performing a fresh installation of the operating system.

Thanks for your help!

I think I can figure it out from here...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”