Compiz not working properly

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hupnuk
Level 1
Level 1

Compiz not working properly

Post by hupnuk »

Hello,

I would like to set a custom default compiz profile systemwide for all users on Mint 17.3 images I will deploy to systems.
I used to be able to do something like this on Mint 17.2 by preparing a flat-file profile configuration in "/etc/skel/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/" so all new users get copied the same profile.
I can still do this though, but when someone uses "Reset Compiz Settings" in "mintdesktop", the profile will be set to gsettings and mint in "/org/compiz/current-profile".
This would be no problem, I could try set my profile in /etc/compizconfig/config and put my profile in that folder, but for some reason when gsettings is used, some settings can not be changed.

For example when I set "Unminimize" to have removed all animations, the setting is ignored and reverted to "Magic Lamp" by compiz or when you set "s0_command_screenshot = mate-screenshot" in your profile, it ignores and sets it to "gnome-screenshot" (Which will render screenshot not working and users complaining).
I have done some research and it seems to also happen by default for mint's own settings (no matter if new user or fresh livecd). It seems to be cause there exist a gsettings schema ("/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas") for those settings which has precedence over a users own settings for compiz (Not sure if this is the cause though)?
So basically, if you change those settings, the settings are applied not in compiz profile in dconf but in the path specified in gschemas.

Although, when I tried "Reset Compiz Settings" again after my edit to "config", it sometimes sets Unity as profile in the users gsettings at "/org/compiz/current-profile", so it seems to not read or correctly use /etc/compizconfig/config, also I fear since the package "Mintdesktop" owns this config file, if it where where to be upgraded, this config could be overwritten.
So basically, I can not use "~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config" or "/etc/compizconfig/config" as both will be overwritten or broken by "Reset Compiz Settings" in "mintdesktop" or package, Except if I use flat-file configuration and "chattr +i" all those files, making them readonly, with side effect of also stopping the user of changing the settings.

So could anyone tell me how I correctly set a default profile for compiz for all users or new users without the fear things not working correctly by a updated package or a user using "Reset Compiz Settings" in "mintdesktop", while still allowing them to edit settings if they wish?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope I have given all information you need to help me out of this mess.
Also please do not say "Just use Cinnamon" because I need to use Xfce or Mate because of weaker hardware or "Do not use Compiz cause it sucks" because this should be possible and some users need to be able to use zoom cause of bad eyes or want the wobbly, grid, etc effects.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”